View Poll Results: What of the following does the best for eliminating poverty in the world?

Voters
1003. You may not vote on this poll
  • Private property.

    55 5.48%
  • Unions.

    315 31.41%
  • Personal liberty.

    69 6.88%
  • Entitlements.

    403 40.18%
  • Taxation

    463 46.16%
  • Freedom from coercion/association.

    52 5.18%
  • Government programs/policies.

    410 40.88%
  • The free market.

    79 7.88%
  • Class struggle.

    14 1.40%
  • Working for oneself.

    59 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 537

Thread: How is poverty best eliminated?

  1. #501
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,081

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    33

    Sounds reasonable to me.
    so you dont know what you asked


    it is simple in fact

    dont vote politicians WHO never stop cheating despite their having billions of dollars

    dont cheat ,dont be greedy ,be emphatetic to the poor
    Last edited by Medusa; 01-13-15 at 03:32 PM.
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  2. #502
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    They'll never be enough jobs for everyone to have one is simply a truth many can't stomach.
    Why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  3. #503
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Why not?

    Because the market nor the public sector can provide enough (though both will argue to the contrary). They cannot.

  4. #504
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No, slaves do have choices, it's just that their choices are extremely restricted relative to a person who is not so encumbered. Similarly, a person born into poverty has choices that are extremely restricted relative to a person who is born with great wealth. Although I think your point has merit in that a person should not be conditioned to a dependence on government assistance, I really don't think that focus on that aspect is a major force in lifting a person from poverty.
    First off, nobody said life would be fair, but these people aren't even taking advantage of the options they have now, why whine about them having more opportunities that they simply won't take advantage of? Let's see them do something with what they've already got before we complain about them not having more options.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #505
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Because the market nor the public sector can provide enough (though both will argue to the contrary). They cannot.
    Is there a reason? "Just because" and "can't" isn't a reason.

    I figure that for everyone who is employed, they create enough additional demand (which would otherwise not exist) for someone else to be employed (or at least close to it). Assuming that there is ample potential demand, and that there is ample money available for consumers to covert that potential demand into demand realized at the cash register, then I can't really come up with a reason why there couldn't be enough jobs for everyone who desires a job to have one.

    There was a time when Japan had an unemployment rate of 1-2%, and during WW2 the unemployment rate in the US dropped to as low as 1.2%. That's pretty darned close to enough jobs for everyone who wants one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  6. #506
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Is there a reason? "Just because" and "can't" isn't a reason.

    I figure that for everyone who is employed, they create enough additional demand (which would otherwise not exist) for someone else to be employed (or at least close to it). Assuming that there is ample potential demand, and that there is ample money available for consumers to covert that potential demand into demand realized at the cash register, then I can't really come up with a reason why there couldn't be enough jobs for everyone who desires a job to have one.

    There was a time when Japan had an unemployment rate of 1-2%, and during WW2 the unemployment rate in the US dropped to as low as 1.2%. That's pretty darned close to enough jobs for everyone who wants one.

    The reasons are having to do with demographics and various other things. There's no point going into all of it as you're on one of the polarity sides that I mentioned in that you represent the private sector faction.

  7. #507
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    The reasons are having to do with demographics and various other things. There's no point going into all of it as you're on one of the polarity sides that I mentioned in that you represent the private sector faction.
    In other words, you don't have a clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  8. #508
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    he didnt ask how you keep your Money ,josie
    That's correct, he didn't. Not sure why you're pointing that out.

  9. #509
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    And yes, we'd still need burger flippers, but I'd like to see people better educated in the basics of life in the sense that low-paid people would be able to balance their finances, understand and make intelligent financial decision even if they make low wages. Maybe eventually move up, and leave the lowest-paid jobs for entry level people, like it's supposed to be.
    This. ****ing this.

    EVERYONE needs training in basic finances, because there are thousands of people and business quite willing to take your money and screw you over, while making you think they're doing you favors.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #510
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    I agree. But I did want to point out that education is the key to getting out of poverty on an individual level, much more so than on a society level (although I would err on the side of having an over educated population than an under educated one).

    You can't really apply micro level solutions to macro level problems. To solve macro level problems, you need macro level solutions.

    The only two macro solutions that I can come up with is to have more jobs and the production associated with them, and to have a system that ensures a distribution system which is based upon production and merit, more-so-than individual negotiating ability.

    Basically, a meritocracy with ample opportunity to prove and utilize individual merit.

    So how do we create more jobs, and ensure that compensation for those jobs is appropriate? The only way we can do this is to have more demand, which can only be accomplished by higher take home earnings (either from an increase in min wage or from cutting taxes on the worker/consumer class, or both).

    Once we have ample jobs, I suspect that the compensation issue will resolve itself as employers will have to compete harder for workers, assumably with better compensation packages.
    I think you have good ideas. That said, what do you say to those who would put forward the notion that such higher demand leads eventually to higher inflation and over production, which have the effect of eventually depressing demand and wages?
    Last edited by MildSteel; 01-13-15 at 10:15 PM.

Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •