View Poll Results: What of the following does the best for eliminating poverty in the world?

Voters
1003. You may not vote on this poll
  • Private property.

    55 5.48%
  • Unions.

    315 31.41%
  • Personal liberty.

    69 6.88%
  • Entitlements.

    403 40.18%
  • Taxation

    463 46.16%
  • Freedom from coercion/association.

    52 5.18%
  • Government programs/policies.

    410 40.88%
  • The free market.

    79 7.88%
  • Class struggle.

    14 1.40%
  • Working for oneself.

    59 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 537

Thread: How is poverty best eliminated?

  1. #491
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I don't see education as meaning everyone having a doctorate degree. As a matter of fact, I really don't think everyone is meant for college. To me, education means training people to do useful work that they have an aptitude for. Everyone has something of value to contribute, if their natural aptitudes are nurtured properly.

    BTW, that's a funny avatar!
    I agree. But I did want to point out that education is the key to getting out of poverty on an individual level, much more so than on a society level (although I would err on the side of having an over educated population than an under educated one).

    You can't really apply micro level solutions to macro level problems. To solve macro level problems, you need macro level solutions.

    The only two macro solutions that I can come up with is to have more jobs and the production associated with them, and to have a system that ensures a distribution system which is based upon production and merit, more-so-than individual negotiating ability.

    Basically, a meritocracy with ample opportunity to prove and utilize individual merit.

    So how do we create more jobs, and ensure that compensation for those jobs is appropriate? The only way we can do this is to have more demand, which can only be accomplished by higher take home earnings (either from an increase in min wage or from cutting taxes on the worker/consumer class, or both).

    Once we have ample jobs, I suspect that the compensation issue will resolve itself as employers will have to compete harder for workers, assumably with better compensation packages.
    Last edited by imagep; 01-13-15 at 11:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  2. #492
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    I think the word you're looking for is alleviated.

  3. #493
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,571
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    So lets see, you want to create a correlation between "crime" and "jobs" (income), but I'm sorry to inform you that "crime" (violent crime) has DECLINED to levels not seen since 1978, after the bad old crack fueled 1990's....and yet household wages have not increase for lower quintiles.....ergo, your correlation phails....as per usual.

    The point still is (and it applies very much to your "ideas"):

    I think you meant to say that marriage reduces poverty, not that it is a "predictor of poverty"....as if it is the cause of poverty....but an indicator of a LACK of poverty (I don't know why I keep having to correct your statement!).

    If marriage causes less poverty, then it because of household income, ie, somehow, magically, marriage causes employment...JOBS!

    The point still remains, you have the cart in front of the horse.....single income homes are in poverty because of the lack of income, ie, our economy requires 2 earners to have any chance of getting out of poverty.....and even with 2 earners, a huge number of those households remain in poverty.

    It is due ENTIRELY to declining wages.

    You Bell Curvers ALWAYS make this a morality based argument and veer away from the economics.
    You can strain at gnats and be as personally insulting as you can find ways to be, and the fact remains that EVERY authority out there agrees that the single greatest reason a person will live in poverty is being a single parent or being a child with a single parent.

    DISCLAIMER: No, this is not saying that all single parents are impoverished or that all children of single parents live in poverty. Let's focus on what is actually said.

    But moving right along, it then logically follows that a neighborhood of traditional two parent homes will more likely be a neighborhood that is more prosperous and, by default, more aesthetically pleasing than a neighborhood of singles is likely to be. This in turn attracts business which will by default provide more jobs and any poverty cycle is more likely to be broken.

    It doesn't matter what overall trends are in the crime rate. You will find less crime in traditional two parent neighborhoods than you will find in other social structures.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #494
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    You can strain at gnats and be as personally insulting as you can find ways to be, and the fact remains that EVERY authority out there agrees that the single greatest reason a person will live in poverty is being a single parent or being a child with a single parent.
    That is clearly a reflection of the fact that we as a society have decided to not support single parents and that we do not have policy in place to cause the formation of stable long term employment. Marriage is sustained though long term employment, long term stable employment is not caused by marriage. You still have the cart in front of the horse.

    DISCLAIMER: No, this is not saying that all single parents are impoverished or that all children of single parents live in poverty. Let's focus on what is actually said.

    But moving right along, it then logically follows that a neighborhood of traditional two parent homes will more likely be a neighborhood that is more prosperous and, by default, more aesthetically pleasing than a neighborhood of singles is likely to be. This in turn attracts business which will by default provide more jobs and any poverty cycle is more likely to be broken.
    The cycle of poverty is broken by long term stable employment, the stability of marriage is based on economic stability....YOU STILL HAVE THE CART IN FRONT OF THE HORSE.

    It doesn't matter what overall trends are in the crime rate.
    Of course it does not when when it crushes the premise of your argument. There is not a correlation between the declines in crime and wages, crime has declined, wages have been stagnate since 1977.
    You will find less crime in traditional two parent neighborhoods than you will find in other social structures.
    Because you will see greater levels of economic stability in those households......you still have the cart before the horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #495
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    If everyone got a doctorate degree today, in an employable field, we would still need burger flippers.

    All that would happen is wages in higher paying fields would drop, and we still wouldn't have enough "good" jobs for everyone to have one.
    You're over thinking it. A "good education", despite what the people who profit from academia want us to believe, doesn't have to be a Ph D, or even a degree really. It can be an apprentice program that sets a person off a fine career as an electrician or a plumber. We need good people in those fields, too, and there is no shame whatsoever there.

    And yes, we'd still need burger flippers, but I'd like to see people better educated in the basics of life in the sense that low-paid people would be able to balance their finances, understand and make intelligent financial decision even if they make low wages. Maybe eventually move up, and leave the lowest-paid jobs for entry level people, like it's supposed to be.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #496
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,571
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    That is clearly a reflection of the fact that we as a society have decided to not support single parents and that we do not have policy in place to cause the formation of stable long term employment. Marriage is sustained though long term employment, long term stable employment is not caused by marriage. You still have the cart in front of the horse.

    The cycle of poverty is broken by long term stable employment, the stability of marriage is based on economic stability....YOU STILL HAVE THE CART IN FRONT OF THE HORSE.

    Of course it does not when when it crushes the premise of your argument. There is not a correlation between the declines in crime and wages, crime has declined, wages have been stagnate since 1977.Because you will see greater levels of economic stability in those households......you still have the cart before the horse.
    I don't think so. Our society supports single parents more now than we have ever done in the nation's history. Poor single parents are eligible for welfare, SNAP, child care credits, Medicaid, and any number of other social programs. The average family totally dependent on government receives direct payments and benefits exceeding the median income of the working family. And still the child in the single parent home is more likely to be living in poverty than is the child blessed with two parents in the home and, according to the latest statistic I read, is more likely to be poorer as an adult than his counterpart from the two-parent home.

    This is not to say that there are not single parents who are wonderful parents, prosperous, and who inspire their kids to go on to do great things. Of course there are many such parents.

    But the fact remains that the traditional two-parent familiy are more likely to produce stronger, more stable, more safe, and more prosperous communities than will communities made up of singles and single parent families. And the fact remains that the two-parent family is far less likely to need or utilize public assistance as well as most commonly being the best arangements for the kids, and this should be encouraged by everybody.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #497
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I don't think so. Our society supports single parents more now than we have ever done in the nation's history. Poor single parents are eligible for welfare, SNAP, child care credits, Medicaid, and any number of other social programs. The average family totally dependent on government receives direct payments and benefits exceeding the median income of the working family.
    Complete and utter bullchit, you are using the Jeff Sessions math that includes medicare payments to the elderly, including end of life care.
    And still the child in the single parent home is more likely to be living in poverty than is the child blessed with two parents in the home and, according to the latest statistic I read, is more likely to be poorer as an adult than his counterpart from the two-parent home.
    Again, you cannot even begin to acknowledge that economic stability is the root to household stability.

    This is not to say that there are not single parents who are wonderful parents, prosperous, and who inspire their kids to go on to do great things. Of course there are many such parents.
    Straw.

    But the fact remains that the traditional two-parent familiy are more likely to produce stronger, more stable, more safe, and more prosperous communities than will communities made up of singles and single parent families. And the fact remains that the two-parent family is far less likely to need or utilize public assistance as well as most commonly being the best arangements for the kids, and this should be encouraged by everybody.
    I'm not arguing otherwise, I am still pointing out that the household economics is the basis for ANY matrimonial stability. You cannot begin to acknowledge this basic fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #498
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    They'll never be enough jobs for everyone to have one is simply a truth many can't stomach.

  9. #499
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    They'll never be enough jobs for everyone to have one is simply a truth many can't stomach.
    Agreed. And this is one of the big lies perpetuated on us by academia that pisses me off. For example, stop selling MBAs like there's a never-ending need.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #500
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,092

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    Work hard, be responsible and use your money wisely. No government is going to eliminate poverty by offering handouts. It's up to the individual.
    he didnt ask how you keep your Money ,josie
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •