View Poll Results: What of the following does the best for eliminating poverty in the world?

Voters
1003. You may not vote on this poll
  • Private property.

    55 5.48%
  • Unions.

    315 31.41%
  • Personal liberty.

    69 6.88%
  • Entitlements.

    403 40.18%
  • Taxation

    463 46.16%
  • Freedom from coercion/association.

    52 5.18%
  • Government programs/policies.

    410 40.88%
  • The free market.

    79 7.88%
  • Class struggle.

    14 1.40%
  • Working for oneself.

    59 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 537

Thread: How is poverty best eliminated?

  1. #251
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by fedup View Post
    What a brilliant, well thought-out, and intelligent rebuttal.

    Of course it was, especially to the nonsense you were spewing.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #252
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,903

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Taking the mirror down will help.
    How old are you?

    Regardless of your absurd comments, the ideas are still absurd and will never be implemented because they are.
    They have been implemented in several places, and with much success. Now, discuss rationally or stop quoting me.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  3. #253
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by fedup View Post
    Ownership doesn't presuppose your creation, it presupposes creation in general. You don't have to create everything you own for you to own it. It can be created by someone else and then traded or bought. That is the legitimate transfer of property. If I plant an apple tree, and then trade you some of my apples for your oranges, that is the legitimate transfer of property.

    The same thing cannot be done with land. Land was always here and it is commonly owned by everyone. No one individual has a right to land just because they say they do.

    I am not against the possession and homesteading of land, however it is important that we establish it is not a legitimate form of property.
    If I put my labor towards growing the tree would you agree it is then my property? If you do, what makes land different? If I grow an orchard to make my living on and a house to live in who is to say that is not my property? Who is to say that the land it sits on is not property? Or will you say that I own the house and the orchard, but I do not own the land in which I labored towards to get the products in which you say I own?

  4. #254
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    How old are you?
    What a juvenile response.


    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    They have been implemented in several places, and with much success.
    Much success? iLOL
    No they haven't.


    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Now, discuss rationally or stop quoting me.
    Your notions of property is not rational.
    So you have to post something rational to discuss to begin with.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #255
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Bioengineering Lab
    Last Seen
    02-27-15 @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    387

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If I put my labor towards growing the tree would you agree it is then my property? If you do, what makes land different? If I grow an orchard to make my living on and a house to live in who is to say that is not my property? Who is to say that the land it sits on is not property? Or will you say that I own the house and the orchard, but I do not own the land in which I labored towards to get the products in which you say I own?
    If you improve/maintain land you would be homesteading it. An idea that I am not opposed to, as I've said several times.

  6. #256
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,903

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    So in other words, you do not support private property.

    The whole line of reasoning makes no sense at all.
    I believe in private property as long as that property is in the hands of the rightful owner. If you build a house, that is your property. No government should tax you for it. But if you exclusively hold a piece of land, which was not created by anyone but God/nature, then the value should be repaid to the community as restitution.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  7. #257
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,903

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by fedup View Post
    I agree with you that possession of land is not a legitimate form of property, however I do have a question about this "fee" you are referring to. Who is the "fee" paid to? Where does it go?
    Ideally, the fee would be paid to the local community/government. Some believe it should be used for programs. Some believe it should be redistributed evenly to the citizens as a BIG. I think it should be a mix of both.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  8. #258
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,903

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It's Georgism. It runs on the false belief that we all own the earth.
    Do you believe you have a right to breathe the air around you? Do you believe you have a right to life?


    Anyone with that belief can't be expected to establish the ownership of all the land of the earth to all the people of the planet. It's a false belief that has to run on the unproven assumption that because we are born we own something other than ourselves.
    There is no point in self-ownership if we have no right to be on this planet.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  9. #259
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Bioengineering Lab
    Last Seen
    02-27-15 @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    387

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Ideally, the fee would be paid to the local community/government. Some believe it should be used for programs. Some believe it should be redistributed evenly to the citizens as a BIG. I think it should be a mix of both.
    Wouldn't that be assuming that government created the land? If you are paying a fee in return for the use of land, then doesn't that mean that the government owns the land? If so, how did the government come to "own" the land? Did they create it?

  10. #260
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Getting a ****ing Job.



    /thread

Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •