View Poll Results: What of the following does the best for eliminating poverty in the world?

Voters
1003. You may not vote on this poll
  • Private property.

    55 5.48%
  • Unions.

    315 31.41%
  • Personal liberty.

    69 6.88%
  • Entitlements.

    403 40.18%
  • Taxation

    463 46.16%
  • Freedom from coercion/association.

    52 5.18%
  • Government programs/policies.

    410 40.88%
  • The free market.

    79 7.88%
  • Class struggle.

    14 1.40%
  • Working for oneself.

    59 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 18 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 537

Thread: How is poverty best eliminated?

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Again.....I've said it several times. Hard work will absolutely get you further than little work or not working at all. That said....it is an absolute lie to tell people that they can be successful....all it takes is hard work and perserverance. The reality for many is that this is not the case.
    There are no guarantees in life.

  2. #172
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,938

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    First off, one needs to define poverty because there was a study based on the census that states that most Americans who are considered poor have a house with a garage as well as having enough food to prevent them from starving and an XBox for the kiddies. In my view if one has a place to stay, clothing on their backs and has adequate food then one cannot be poor- hence, true poverty has largely been eliminated in the US.

  3. #173
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    We have sham leaders but I think they are just a symptom. Remove the cause and the symptom goes way-we have ignorant and uneducated voters who decide based on emotion. Nowhere is this worse than CA (in the us). Im reminded of the "bullet train" fiasco. I remember seeing idiot after idiot talking about what a great idea it was-some people thought "everyone will get free rides whenever they want". The thing is if you talk to many of these uninformed people they come around quickly.

    They scared the industrial, manufacturing, tech, and defense industries out-the largest number went to texas but now ex-californians are trying to turn that in to ca. Like parasites. Did you hear about nancy pelosi's personal financial benefit from policies she voted for? Just briefly heard about it on levin.

    The polling thing is great fun, and actually pays ok. Most things you never hear about again but some end up in the news in 6 months or a year.
    I'm a bit of a California political junkie, as I've been fighting city hall for decades due to my business here. I pay close attention to bills going through the process and recieve notice any time bills I'm watching are acted on. The corrupt Progressive enterpise in Sacramento is even worse when one has a microscope on their criminal enterprise.

    Pelosi, Boxer, and Feinstein are the scum of the earth, with Pelosi leading the parade. I'm very familiar with the personal gain all three have received through the legislative actions the press works hard to keep quiet. If one draws a line between the history of the decline in Californias economic strength and when all three took office, there is no doubt who has been contributing to the result.

    Mark is a great listen, and doesn't pull punches. I have never found any of his claims to be lacking merit.

  4. #174
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Again.....I've said it several times. Hard work will absolutely get you further than little work or not working at all. That said....it is an absolute lie to tell people that they can be successful....all it takes is hard work and perserverance. The reality for many is that this is not the case.
    It's also a myth to say that the government can end the struggle of the middle class. As long as there's a middle class, people will be struggling. The government can't make everyone rich, and demonizing wealth goes against that goal.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  5. #175
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,355

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I just posted one....especially for you.
    You will not sway me to the dark side with your looks!

    *runs to look*

  6. #176
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,876

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    First off, one needs to define poverty because there was a study based on the census that states that most Americans who are considered poor have a house with a garage as well as having enough food to prevent them from starving and an XBox for the kiddies. In my view if one has a place to stay, clothing on their backs and has adequate food then one cannot be poor- hence, true poverty has largely been eliminated in the US.
    Now what do we do about a poverty of ambition? This country remains the greatest place in the world for those with a dream who are willing to work.

  7. #177
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    There are no guarantees in life.
    nobody ever claimed that there were.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #178
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    It's also a myth to say that the government can end the struggle of the middle class. As long as there's a middle class, people will be struggling. The government can't make everyone rich, and demonizing wealth goes against that goal.
    I don't know many who claim that government can end the struggle of the middle class or make "everyone rich". Government can aid in the struggles of the very poor/poverty...and that is what we are talking about here. Its not about demonizing wealth.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #179
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I'm a bit of a California political junkie, as I've been fighting city hall for decades due to my business here. I pay close attention to bills going through the process and recieve notice any time bills I'm watching are acted on. The corrupt Progressive enterpise in Sacramento is even worse when one has a microscope on their criminal enterprise.

    Pelosi, Boxer, and Feinstein are the scum of the earth, with Pelosi leading the parade. I'm very familiar with the personal gain all three have received through the legislative actions the press works hard to keep quiet. If one draws a line between the history of the decline in Californias economic strength and when all three took office, there is no doubt who has been contributing to the result.

    Mark is a great listen, and doesn't pull punches. I have never found any of his claims to be lacking merit.
    State and local govt actually have an adversarial relationship with business. And its endless, mindless bureaucracy that create disincentives for businessmen/women.

    I met the governator and boxer once at a funeral, Its a sham, rolled in glitter up there. Absolutely clueless. Nevermind the state PA and Paramedic agencies.

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: How is poverty best eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    nobody ever claimed that there were.
    So why do anything? Some might fail ya know-besides the odds are stacked against you.


    You dont see how this is a bad thing?

Page 18 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •