View Poll Results: Same Sex Marriage, how long till its national?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-2 years

    10 31.25%
  • 3-4 years

    7 21.88%
  • 5-6 years

    7 21.88%
  • 7-8 years

    1 3.13%
  • 9-10 years

    4 12.50%
  • 11-15 years

    0 0%
  • 16-20 years

    0 0%
  • 21-25 years

    0 0%
  • 26+

    0 0%
  • Never

    3 9.38%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: Same Sex Marriage, how long till its national?

  1. #51
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Same Sex Marriage, how long till its national?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Do you think that SSM will be recognized at the federal level to receive those benefits, subject to fed taxation, legal protections, etc?
    I don't think it will have to be. Didn't the DOMA case already establish that SSM couples get all the federal benefits and responsibilities? If that's still in question, then yes, I think it may require a supreme court case, but I think most of the circuit courts have already addressed the issue. I just don't think that a SSM ban will make it through any circuit, and I don't think that the supreme court would take the appeal. Unless they're going to actually uphold a ban, but that be very surprising. It really is an open and shut legal argument.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  2. #52
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,825

    Re: Same Sex Marriage, how long till its national?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    When did gay marriage become a right? Dates, please.
    Constitutionally speaking, July 9, 1868.

    Same day interracial marriage became a right. Hope this helps.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #53
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Same Sex Marriage, how long till its national?

    I think it could be up to 10.

    Perhaps more.

    But since I don't pay very close attention to all the various battles over the subject, that's just my best guess.

    If it gets pushed in front of SCOTUS it could be sooner, but if they rule that it's up to the states it may take longer.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #54
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Same Sex Marriage, how long till its national?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I don't think it will have to be. Didn't the DOMA case already establish that SSM couples get all the federal benefits and responsibilities? If that's still in question, then yes, I think it may require a supreme court case, but I think most of the circuit courts have already addressed the issue. I just don't think that a SSM ban will make it through any circuit, and I don't think that the supreme court would take the appeal. Unless they're going to actually uphold a ban, but that be very surprising. It really is an open and shut legal argument.

    You realize that of the 12 Circuit Courts of Appeals, that 3 have already ruled that bans on Same-Sex Civil Marriage are unconstitutional. Those would be the 10th, 4th, and 9th. The 10th and the 4th are in the process of being appealed to the SCOTUS. The 9th's case was Hollingsworth v. Perry, their decision was vacated on a standing issue leaving the District Court's ruling that California's Proposition 8 was unconstitutional as the final word in the case. (Subsequent appeals to stay the resumption of SSCM in California were rejected by both the SCOTUS and the California Supreme Court.)



    >>>>

  5. #55
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,175

    Re: Same Sex Marriage, how long till its national?

    There wasn't an option for "I really don't care."

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #56
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Same Sex Marriage, how long till its national?

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    You realize that of the 12 Circuit Courts of Appeals, that 3 have already ruled that bans on Same-Sex Civil Marriage are unconstitutional. Those would be the 10th, 4th, and 9th. The 10th and the 4th are in the process of being appealed to the SCOTUS. The 9th's case was Hollingsworth v. Perry, their decision was vacated on a standing issue leaving the District Court's ruling that California's Proposition 8 was unconstitutional as the final word in the case. (Subsequent appeals to stay the resumption of SSCM in California were rejected by both the SCOTUS and the California Supreme Court.)
    Yes, I am aware of all of this. I think each circuit will reach the same conclusion without a supreme court case. I don't think the supreme court will take the appeals. If state and circuit courts weren't so quickly and so universally ruling the same way on SSM, then a supreme court case might have been necessary. I don't think we'll need one. I think it will be protected at the circuit and state court levels.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Same Sex Marriage, how long till its national?

    Haven't a clue.

    Today would be nice.

  8. #58
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,825

    Re: Same Sex Marriage, how long till its national?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Haven't a clue.

    Today would be nice.
    Based on SCOTUS' schedule, and their habits when it comes to big cases, it will be June 2015. I'd bet money on it.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #59
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Same Sex Marriage, how long till its national?

    I'm going to guess June 30, 2015.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  10. #60
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,825

    Re: Same Sex Marriage, how long till its national?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    I'm going to guess June 30, 2015.
    They do tend to wait until the last day of the session for the big ones.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •