View Poll Results: Do we live in a free country?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 42.27%
  • Nope

    37 38.14%
  • Other

    19 19.59%
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 176

Thread: Do We Live in a Free Country?

  1. #71
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:04 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    It is very important to use precise language anytime you deal with legal issues. Freedoms, rights, privileges, powers, each have specific legal definitions, not always in agreement with common usage or Websters dictionary.
    Neither society nor government grants rights. They are yours because you are human. Since I believe God made humans, I believe my rights were His gift. you do not have to believe in God to have human rights.
    Do you make a distinction between freedoms and rights?
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

  2. #72
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    You have to live within the law.

    An auto accident is not a felony. If you hit, or if they hit you, a motorcycle, bicycle or a person you are at fault no matter what. This does not jive with the vehicle code and nobody that I have asked can tell me what the law is that contradicts the vehicle code.

    My insurance handles the case up to 3 million pesos so I am covered if something happens.

    If you have full coverage your car will be fixed as well as your legal problems.
    One of my brother-in -laws is a lawyer. he told me I would be guilty in any type of accident, until I proved myself innocent. guilty because I'm gringo and have deep pockets. I am not going to test this information. I hope.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  3. #73
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,470

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    One of my brother-in -laws is a lawyer. he told me I would be guilty in any type of accident, until I proved myself innocent. guilty because I'm gringo and have deep pockets. I am not going to test this information. I hope.
    I haven't had an accident but I have had run ins with the cops and they don't assume that.

    If you have a problem with a cop ask to see his supervisor.

    Also you should get to know the head guys in the police department in the area you live in. That always helps.

  4. #74
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    Do you make a distinction between freedoms and rights?
    The way you were using freedom in your post has very little to do with your rights. Many of your rights define freedoms. Freedom of the press is part of the Right to Free speech. do you see the difference? You have the freedom to vote. But that's not a right. In some states convicted felons even after completing sentence can't vote. If you recently moved to the area you can't vote in local elections. failure to register or not a citizen, you can't vote.
    You have a right, if there is enough like you, to alter or abolish the government. You do not have the freedom to overthrow the government. The only excuse for rebellion is success.
    Last edited by yobarnacle; 08-15-14 at 04:11 AM.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  5. #75
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:04 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    The way you were using freedom in your post has very little to do with your rights. Many of your rights define freedoms. Freedom of the press is part of the Right to Free speech. do you see the difference? You have the freedom to vote. But that's not a right. In some states convicted felons even after completing sentence can't vote.
    You have a right, if there is enough like you, to alter or abolish the government. You do not have the freedom to overthrow the government. The only excuse for rebellion is success.
    Ok we agree there, we may disagree on who grants us rights, however when it comes to freedoms, those can be given and taken away by the powers that be. I may have worded it badly but what I'm trying to say is that being part of a society gives us some freedom, and also takes some freedoms away.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

  6. #76
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    Ok we agree there, we may disagree on who grants us rights, however when it comes to freedoms, those can be given and taken away by the powers that be. I may have worded it badly but what I'm trying to say is that being part of a society gives us some freedom, and also takes some freedoms away.
    If you read the Bill of Rights, nowhere does it list your rights. in every instance of naming a right, it is restricting the government.
    the two most important amendments are the 9th and 10th.
    The 9th prohibits denying we have other rights not mentioned in the constitution. Doesn't specify how many they are. If the constitution granted rights, this amendment would grant any right you wanted. it doesn;t grant anything. it restricts denying rights.
    All the rights mentioned in the constitution have THE in front of them. "The Right to Keep and Bear Arms" is a whole different thing than "A right to keep and bear arms."
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  7. #77
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    The 10th amendment states, the executive branch and congress only have the powers specifically given to them in the Constitution.
    our rights aren't spelled out because it's not granting our rights. The government power IS spelled out and restricted from exceeding.

    The final part of the 10th says all other powers are reserved. Not given. Reserved. To the states and/or THE PEOPLE.

    When officials exceed there Constitutional powers, they ROB us of rights not named. And it is unconstitutional and illegal for officials to do that.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  8. #78
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I haven't had an accident but I have had run ins with the cops and they don't assume that.

    If you have a problem with a cop ask to see his supervisor.

    Also you should get to know the head guys in the police department in the area you live in. That always helps.
    I don't worry about problems in Mexico. I am polite, just as everybody is polite. I'm the only gringo in town. makes me something of a celebrity.
    My wife's family is prominent. doctors, lawyers, huge land owners, and politicians. and my wife has an inherited title in the Spanish nobility. Duquessa. Duchess.
    Last edited by yobarnacle; 08-15-14 at 04:49 AM.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  9. #79
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    We are told we live in a free country. "Land of the free" yada yada yada. Simple question: "Do we live in a free country"?
    I voted 'no', but could have voted 'other'. We are free(er), in a relative sense. than many other people now and in history, but we are not as free as many of us think we are. Not by a long shot. Too many of our freedoms have been chipped away one at a time for decades. It's really insidious the way it has happened.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #80
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    I'll concede that there are plenty of freedoms that don't require a trade off, I misspoke there.

    However, the post I replied to said that society is a limiter of freedoms. This is true but society also grants freedoms. That's the reason we form societies. We may have lost the freedom to run around naked in teh street but in return we gain the freedom to walk down the street without fear of harassment (in general).
    the second is not a right



Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •