View Poll Results: Do we live in a free country?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 42.27%
  • Nope

    37 38.14%
  • Other

    19 19.59%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 176

Thread: Do We Live in a Free Country?

  1. #61
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Well, I'm not too trusting of the definition of "freedom" when it's concocted by a group of people who were mostly slave owners.
    that sounds dramatic but its stupid. Just apply the freedoms they wanted for white land owning males for everyone else who is able to now vote



  2. #62
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,647

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    You are all just a waste of space. Pawns in a meaningless game put here for my amusement.
    That's pretty much how I approach this Debate Politics thing too.

    But don't think for a moment I don't appreciate the amusement.

    I thank you all.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  3. #63
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I made you say that.
    Actually, it's from an Oatmeal comic about a zombie parrot.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #64
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    I do not have the right to keep and bear arms, I do not have the right to privacy, I do not have the right to organize and peacefully protest (see whats happening RIGHT NOW in Ferguson)

    No, I'm not free.
    You do have the right to keep and bear arms.
    You do have the right to privacy, in accordance with the law (there is no such thing as a "right" without an exception or that is 100%)
    You do have the right to organize and peacefully protest.

    Yes, Lachean. You are free. If you don't think so, go stay in Libya or Iran or Egypt or Venezuela or Mexico or India or China for a while.

  5. #65
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,886

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    You do have the right to keep and bear arms.
    You do have the right to privacy, in accordance with the law (there is no such thing as a "right" without an exception or that is 100%)
    You do have the right to organize and peacefully protest.

    Yes, Lachean. You are free. If you don't think so, go stay in Libya or Iran or Egypt or Venezuela or Mexico or India or China for a while.
    Do you have any actual argument besides baseless assertions?

    I'll just start with point one, here in Maryland, a May-Issue state, my 2nd Amendment right stops at my front door. I do not have the right to bear arms. Care to explain how I am wrong? Because the law says YOU are.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  6. #66
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,427

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    I have had the opportunity during a 50 year career, to work and live in many parts of the world, for several years at a time, duration of project. negotiatians with foreign officials frequently a part of my daily work load. They tend to keep coming back.

    Currently I have homes both in my native USA and Mexico (wife is Mexican).

    Mexico does not "recognize" rights recognized in the US. Yet in many ways Mexico has more freedom. Want to open a business? Line your living room with shelves, stock them with products, hang out a sign. That's it.
    The government isn't regulating everything in Mexico.
    I still prefer America over the rest of the world.
    That is exactly what I do. I work out of my house, in Mexico. It is the safest way to operate.

    I don't worry about 15 government agencies busting down my door demanding I do things their way.

    I am an American living in Mexico so I have experienced it on both sides.

    I don't have police cars behind me checking my license plate to see if they can bust me on something.

    Mexico is much more free in what you are allowed to do.

  7. #67
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 09:17 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I disagree. You don't lose any freedoms from gays being able to serve in the military. You don't lose any freedoms by people being able to smoke pot in their own home or own firearms.
    I'll concede that there are plenty of freedoms that don't require a trade off, I misspoke there.

    However, the post I replied to said that society is a limiter of freedoms. This is true but society also grants freedoms. That's the reason we form societies. We may have lost the freedom to run around naked in teh street but in return we gain the freedom to walk down the street without fear of harassment (in general).
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

  8. #68
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    That is exactly what I do. I work out of my house, in Mexico. It is the safest way to operate.

    I don't worry about 15 government agencies busting down my door demanding I do things their way.

    I am an American living in Mexico so I have experienced it on both sides.

    I don't have police cars behind me checking my license plate to see if they can bust me on something.

    Mexico is much more free in what you are allowed to do.
    correct in you have liberty until you run afoul of the law. Then you have serious problems. being involved in an automobile accident is a felony in Mexico and you will go to jail.
    My auto insurance in mexico pays my lawyer, not damage to the cars. so far, I have avoided accidents.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  9. #69
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,427

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    correct in you have liberty until you run afoul of the law. Then you have serious problems. being involved in an automobile accident is a felony in Mexico and you will go to jail.
    My auto insurance in mexico pays my lawyer, not damage to the cars. so far, I have avoided accidents.
    You have to live within the law.

    An auto accident is not a felony. If you hit, or if they hit you, a motorcycle, bicycle or a person you are at fault no matter what. This does not jive with the vehicle code and nobody that I have asked can tell me what the law is that contradicts the vehicle code.

    My insurance handles the case up to 3 million pesos so I am covered if something happens.

    If you have full coverage your car will be fixed as well as your legal problems.

  10. #70
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    I'll concede that there are plenty of freedoms that don't require a trade off, I misspoke there.

    However, the post I replied to said that society is a limiter of freedoms. This is true but society also grants freedoms. That's the reason we form societies. We may have lost the freedom to run around naked in teh street but in return we gain the freedom to walk down the street without fear of harassment (in general).
    It is very important to use precise language anytime you deal with legal issues. Freedoms, rights, privileges, powers, each have specific legal definitions, not always in agreement with common usage or Websters dictionary.
    Neither society nor government grants rights. They are yours because you are human. Since I believe God made humans, I believe my rights were His gift. you do not have to believe in God to have human rights.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •