View Poll Results: Do we live in a free country?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 42.27%
  • Nope

    37 38.14%
  • Other

    19 19.59%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 176

Thread: Do We Live in a Free Country?

  1. #151
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mittner View Post
    But they're supposed to have those freedoms.

    You've cited examples of law enforcement abuse as though they're examples of us not having a right to these freedoms. But those kinds of abuses should be challenged and those responsible for unjustly taking your freedoms should be punished. The exceptions don't prove the rule. And by large, most police officers and government law enforcement personnel are decent people, often doing a thankless job at mediocre pay and higher risk.


    Of course, but how do you challenge the system when they have trampled on your constitutional rights?

  2. #152
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    The question leaves a lot open, to much, to really get a meaningful answer to your poll. What is freedom? What do you consider freedom?

    If your are a constitutionalist, then yes, we have what America defines as freedom. However, it is not unlimited freedom, it has limitations as it should. Do we have complete freedom, of course not. Everyone has their own beliefs as to what is right and wrong. Everyone has their own political views. Regaurdless of our views however, we have to comply with the majority view which decides for all of us what is legal and not legal. There will ultimately be people who feel oppressed as a result of majority rule.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  3. #153
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    403

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Juanita View Post
    Of course, but how do you challenge the system when they have trampled on your constitutional rights?
    The population still elects its leaders and those leaders have the authority to change the system. But electing the right leaders requires a level of education and political involvement that's far beyond most people.

    At the current rate I have little hope for a good future in this country. And that frightens me every time I look at my young son, and begin to consider if there might be another country that will provide him a more secure future. But we're not so far gone yet that it's hopeless.

  4. #154
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mittner View Post
    The population still elects its leaders and those leaders have the authority to change the system. But electing the right leaders requires a level of education and political involvement that's far beyond most people.

    At the current rate I have little hope for a good future in this country. And that frightens me every time I look at my young son, and begin to consider if there might be another country that will provide him a more secure future. But we're not so far gone yet that it's hopeless.
    I kind of disagree, I think its the educated people who are to involved in politics are the problem. The more politically active I have found a person to be, the more they are part of the problem then the solution. The most ardent political people I know tow their parties lines and are the cause of the divide that has us electing people who get nothing done. What we need, are more moderate people without political bias voting.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Of course not. Any system where people are ruled by default and the majority get to push around the minority is not only fundamentally flawed and unjust, but inherently oppressive.

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    We have remnants of those but less than we use to have. I don't mean ancient days, I mean in my lifetime.
    Is LIFE better or worse now than in previous decades? We have more gadgets but less leisure time together as families. What happened to the 40 hour work week?
    Not your mother's motherhood: Moms by the numbers, through the decades - Parents - TODAY.com
    Growing up in the 50s, most mom's stayed home. Weekends were family trips to grandma's for get-togethers . Dad put in 8 hour days 5 day weeks. Overtime was rare.
    LIBERTY is not just being out of jail. The liberty to walk around without fear of being molested. My 4th birthday wish was to go to the movies by myself. I was a "big" boy now. My parents let me. Drive by shootings unheard of. Child molesters existed but not very many I suspect.
    PURSUIT of HAPPINESS. To me, that is making plans and working toward their goals, a better future. That requires a stable currency not steadily eroded by inflation. Steady employment so savings are not gobbled up by layoff periods. And faith that government and police and courts are just.

    We had it better in the 50s

    Before anyone says not everybody had those advantages, in efforts to make all equal, all are brought down to the bottom rung it seems.
    I think when you account for all the new laws on the books since the 1950's there is no doubt the people are less free. Sure, some people will point out the civil rights movement, but even then there is a certain amount of oppression with anti-discrimination laws. Just look at the registry alone and you get a good idea of how much freedom the people have really lost.

  7. #157
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    The question leaves a lot open, to much, to really get a meaningful answer to your poll. What is freedom? What do you consider freedom?

    If your are a constitutionalist, then yes, we have what America defines as freedom. However, it is not unlimited freedom, it has limitations as it should. Do we have complete freedom, of course not. Everyone has their own beliefs as to what is right and wrong. Everyone has their own political views. Regaurdless of our views however, we have to comply with the majority view which decides for all of us what is legal and not legal. There will ultimately be people who feel oppressed as a result of majority rule.

    We do not, strictly speaking, have majority rule in America.

    Majority rule, unchecked, could indeed be as bad or worse than autocracy.

    We have a LIMITED government where majority-elected representatives govern under the limitations and structure set forth by the Constitution, overseen by the courts to prevent government from overstepping, and to prevent the majority from trampling the minority.


    At least in theory.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by polisciguy View Post
    Nah, some FICA dude and his gang of ruffians take money from my paycheck each month. I assume that's who I'm paying to live here. Seems like they take more the more I make too.
    Apparently the state I left just a few months ago thinks I owe them taxes for next year. Good luck to them.
    Last edited by Henrin; 08-30-14 at 04:24 AM.

  9. #159
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    403

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    I kind of disagree, I think its the educated people who are to involved in politics are the problem. The more politically active I have found a person to be, the more they are part of the problem then the solution. The most ardent political people I know tow their parties lines and are the cause of the divide that has us electing people who get nothing done. What we need, are more moderate people without political bias voting.
    I suppose it depends on how you define "educated" in this context. For my part, I define educated people as those who look at the facts--preferably from a multitude of sources--and derive their own conclusions. They're also able and willing to change their position (omgwtf flipflop!) as they learn new facts. This is in contrast to those who form their conclusions based on others' conclusions.

    Perhaps "educated" isn't the best word to use. Indeed, you could be aware of every fact and be considered well educated, but if you still form your conclusions based on others' conclusions, you're still part of the problem. Because i think critical thought is a requirement to form your own position, perhaps "intelligent" is a better word to use, but I expect that'd be a bit more condescending...

  10. #160
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    403

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Apparently the state I left just a few months ago thinks I owe them taxes for next year. Good luck to them.
    It depends what you mean by "next year".
    Income tax filing is always done for the previous year. So on April 15th, 2015, you'll be doing your 2014 taxes. If you lived in multiple states in 2014, you'll need to file for each state.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •