View Poll Results: Do we live in a free country?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 42.27%
  • Nope

    37 38.14%
  • Other

    19 19.59%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 176

Thread: Do We Live in a Free Country?

  1. #101
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,879
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda1858 View Post
    Wait...I'm Black and female and I do own land. So what does that make me? Free or not free?
    You're free. But the founders would not have intended for you to be so.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    We are told we live in a free country. "Land of the free" yada yada yada. Simple question: "Do we live in a free country"?
    No. Virtue is actively discouraged by our society. And immorality abounds in it.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Yes.

    We just need more social rights for secularists. I do feel however that as religious Hispanics populate the US our secular freedoms will slowly be destroyed. I've never encountered a secular Hispanic who truly believed in science.

  4. #104
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?


    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    We are told we live in a free country. "Land of the free" yada yada yada. Simple question: "Do we live in a free country"?
    We probably have more freedom than most but those freedoms are being eroded away by:

    1. An income tax: An income tax means that we no longer have the right to earn an income and that the government determines how much of the fruit of our labor we may keep.

    2. Property taxes: Property taxes means that we no longer have the right to own private property. Donít pay your property tax and youíll find out very quickly who does own it.

    3. Government surveillance: The FBI has admitted to using drones to spy on Americans. I wonder, by what right does this government have the right to spy on private citizens. They are collecting information on Americans and storing it in large warehouses such as the Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative Data Center in Utah.

    4. Minimum wage: The government has given itself the right to dictate to private employers the minimum wage it has to pay individuals thus ensuring higher than needed unemployment.

    5. Obamacare: Even Hitler knew that to control the populace you had to ration healthcare.

    There are more examples. This is only scratching the surface and, no, I donít care to live anywhere else. This only demonstrates that we need to be ever vigilant to protect our freedom and liberties.

    As Thomas Jefferson said, ďThe tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.Ē

    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  5. #105
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    403

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Relatively speaking, absolutely we're free.

    But we're definitely parented. And often times we deserve to be.

    Regardless of any Constitution or what any founding father might have said, the fundamental purpose of "government" is to maintain a stable society. You can try to control what the government does in the pursuit of that stability, but at the end of the day stability will win. Why? Because the common person would rather compromise a piece of paper and centuries old ideas than watch society collapse around them, losing all the protections it offers them and their loved ones.

    So practicality and stability dictates that when members of the society do things that jeopardize--either by single action or precedent--the overall stability, government will step in with regulations. Government grows. The Nanny State grows.

    Racism has lead to Nanny State. Bad business practices have lead to Nanny State. Damaging the environment has lead to Nanny State. Bad eating has lead to Nanny State. Irresponsible drug and alcohol use have lead to Nanny State. Even school bullying has lead to Nanny State.

    Just like we place restrictions on children who prove irresponsible, government assumes the same role for the same reason: safety and stability.

  6. #106
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mittner View Post
    Relatively speaking, absolutely we're free.

    But we're definitely parented. And often times we deserve to be.

    Regardless of any Constitution or what any founding father might have said, the fundamental purpose of "government" is to maintain a stable society. You can try to control what the government does in the pursuit of that stability, but at the end of the day stability will win. Why? Because the common person would rather compromise a piece of paper and centuries old ideas than watch society collapse around them, losing all the protections it offers them and their loved ones.

    So practicality and stability dictates that when members of the society do things that jeopardize--either by single action or precedent--the overall stability, government will step in with regulations. Government grows. The Nanny State grows.

    Racism has lead to Nanny State. Bad business practices have lead to Nanny State. Damaging the environment has lead to Nanny State. Bad eating has lead to Nanny State. Irresponsible drug and alcohol use have lead to Nanny State. Even school bullying has lead to Nanny State.

    Just like we place restrictions on children who prove irresponsible, government assumes the same role for the same reason: safety and stability.

    Your ideas are completely wrong, dangerous, anti-freedom, un-American, and most unfortunately popular among liberals. You are destroying America.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  7. #107
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    403

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    Your ideas are completely wrong, dangerous, anti-freedom, un-American, and most unfortunately popular among liberals. You are destroying America.
    They're not my "ideas".

    What I stated is the current state of reality. Regulations are reactionary. Bullying becomes a problem, so there's rules created to protect from it. Banks misbehave and regulations are created to limit them. Corporations act irresponsibly and you get all manner of regulations to control and monitor them.

    It even applies to government. If government acts irresponsibly then you get congressional hearings and investigations.

    You really can't deny this. It's evident everywhere, at all levels of government and society. Even in the workplace.

    As to your insinuation that this is something I support, well- you're right and you're wrong. I absolutely despise the growth of the Nanny State. It's anti-freedom and very anti-liberal, despite your apparent ignorance over what liberalism means. I hate that my elementary school now has a fence around it. I hate that my child might be punished for words he might say. I hate to see our children increasingly sheltered as it hurts their eventual entry into adult society.

    But what I hate the most is that the American people have become so irresponsible that such things have become often necessary to maintain social stability. It's that irresponsibility that's lead to the growth of the Nanny State. And worse, we don't learn. If we de-regulate something, people hop right back into the same destructive practices no matter the consequences.

    This is why the government always seems to grow- we keep finding new ways to exploit the system to the detriment of others. And so more and more regulations have to be created to keep our actions in check.

    They say that the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. Most people take that to mean that they must remain ever-watchful of a government becoming oppressive. But that's not the source of the problem. What we must remain vigilante of is that we use our freedom wisely; that we don't abuse and exploit it to the harm of others. Because that will inevitably lead to freedoms lost. Eventually the people will demand it.

  8. #108
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    The 10th amendment states, the executive branch and congress only have the powers specifically given to them in the Constitution.
    our rights aren't spelled out because it's not granting our rights. The government power IS spelled out and restricted from exceeding.

    The final part of the 10th says all other powers are reserved. Not given. Reserved. To the states and/or THE PEOPLE.

    When officials exceed there Constitutional powers, they ROB us of rights not named. And it is unconstitutional and illegal for officials to do that.



    However, they do it anyway.

  9. #109
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,370

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    I do not have the right to keep and bear arms, I do not have the right to privacy, I do not have the right to organize and peacefully protest (see whats happening RIGHT NOW in Ferguson)

    No, I'm not free.
    Evidently you haven't lost the right to post hyperbolic blather.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  10. #110
    Advisor polisciguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    10-30-17 @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Nah, some FICA dude and his gang of ruffians take money from my paycheck each month. I assume that's who I'm paying to live here. Seems like they take more the more I make too.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •