View Poll Results: Do we live in a free country?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 42.27%
  • Nope

    37 38.14%
  • Other

    19 19.59%
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 176

Thread: Do We Live in a Free Country?

  1. #91
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    The cartels tried to setup where we live, but got chased out by the locals. The old Dons are some tough men with the respect of everybody. I know of one whose daughter got gang raped. our town armed up, loaded up, and went to the pueblo where the rapists lived, and killed every hombre in that pueblo older than 14. such is the influence of the grandees in ranching areas of Mexico.
    When you live in a country with very little police protection that is the way things have to go sometimes.

    I know the 4 guys that kidnapped my friend are no longer on this earth. They will not be kidnapping anybody else.

  2. #92
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Do you have any actual argument besides baseless assertions?

    I'll just start with point one, here in Maryland, a May-Issue state, my 2nd Amendment right stops at my front door. I do not have the right to bear arms. Care to explain how I am wrong? Because the law says YOU are.
    Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus. You CAN buy and own guns in Maryland.
    First of all, The Firearm Safety Act of 2013, which lawyers and judges refer to when they speak of the bill, bans the sale of 45 specific types of assault weapons. In addition to these banned firearms, the law also prohibits Maryland residents to purchase any magazines with more than 10 rounds. Those who already possess magazines with greater capacity before the deadline can keep them.
    The New Maryland Gun Laws: What They Mean For Gun Buyers | Eye On Annapolis

    Shotguns and rifles for hunting are not prohibited, of course. As are the guns not on the list of banned guns.

    Go crazy, Lachean! Buy all the shotguns, rifles, and non-banned weapons you want! Have a ball! Guns are regulated in Maryland, is all. No big deal. It's safer for the public not to have big mags and assault weapons floating all over the place, as we have seen in recent years.

    But you can rest assured that you can still own guns anywhere in the good ol' US of A. Maybe not the particular gun you want, but you have a bevy of choices.

    The NRA has had ample opportunity to ensure wackos with military weaponry wouldn't shoot the faces off children, but it and gun culture devotees have not done so. So apparently the govt of Maryland stepped in with some steps in an effort to protect the public. That's what a government SHOULD do.

    We all have rights. Even children whose faces were blown off, and babies shot in movie theaters. They have rights, too. You still have your gun rights. But it's just a little harder for the wackos to get military weapons, now, in Maryland to kill innocent people. And that's a good thing.
    Last edited by JumpinJack; 08-22-14 at 01:31 AM.

  3. #93
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    You CAN buy and own guns in Maryland.
    Way to miss the point entirely, of course you can Keep arms, you just cannot BEAR them.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  4. #94
    Educator Frodly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Last Seen
    06-26-16 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    684

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    A thread revolving around an undefined term is a pointless thread.

    Define "Free" or this is just a waste of space.

    You not only need to define freedom, you also need to define control. You also need to differentiate between types of control that inhibit freedom and types of control that ensure freedom. For example, laws against theft and murder control peoples actions, but they increase the freedom of all people who are not murderers or thieves.

    However, the point about defining control is an important one. Control is not simply about coercion and violence which compels action in a top down fashion. It is far more complicated than that. Power and control are reproduced across society through various different methods. The ways in which we are controlled most effectively are not through means of violence and coercion, but instead through controlling the discourse. By controlling discourse and the ideas we are exposed to, it is not just our bodies that are controlled (which is all that can be accomplished through violence and coercion), our minds are also controlled. From the moment we are old enough to think, we are exposed to education, media, and social pressures which shape the ways in which we think. The ways in which we think are constituted by power. So we go to school and learn to believe something, watch tv/listen to radio/go online/etc and learn to believe something, we listen to our parents tell us what good behavior is, and so on. Through those means we are not only controlled by ideas, but we come to control ourselves through the ideas. We are also controlled through surveillance, the reorganization of space, and numerous other complex methods of control. This means that the vast majority of the mechanisms of control we are exposed to are "invisible." Having been constituted by power, we then go on to reproduce power ourselves. Even resistance is produced by power.

    Long story short, I would say we are not free. Not because the big gubmint is trying to take our guns (government doesn't care about your guns, they control people quite sufficiently without having to resort to such base methods of control), but because they control behavior by controlling our ideas.
    Last edited by Frodly; 08-24-14 at 11:05 AM.
    I'm a Tarte, what!! You want some of this??

    To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead. -- Thomas Paine

  5. #95
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    government doesn't care about your guns?
    Where have you been the last 20 to 30 years?
    Don't you pay attention to the gun control bills introduced in congress? We keep shooting them down, and the left keeps introducing them.
    They know they only have to be successful once. We have to defeat them again and again, everytime.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  6. #96
    Educator Frodly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Last Seen
    06-26-16 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    684

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    government doesn't care about your guns?
    Where have you been the last 20 to 30 years?
    Don't you pay attention to the gun control bills introduced in congress? We keep shooting them down, and the left keeps introducing them.
    They know they only have to be successful once. We have to defeat them again and again, everytime.

    The trend in American politics has actually been one of deregulation over the last 30 years. Gun control, like many other social issues, is a wedge issue politicians use to rile the bases. However, politicians (more accurately the political and economic elite) don't actually give a **** about them. They keep the simpletons focused on guns, abortions, gay marriage, and scary foreigners while the elite do exactly what they want on issues they actually give a **** about. As I said, government controls people quite effectively without worrying about their guns. The whole guns as the last defense of liberty schtick is nonsense. Intelligence and education are the only thing that is going to defend liberty, guns don't matter at all.
    I'm a Tarte, what!! You want some of this??

    To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead. -- Thomas Paine

  7. #97
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frodly View Post
    The trend in American politics has actually been one of deregulation over the last 30 years. Gun control, like many other social issues, is a wedge issue politicians use to rile the bases. However, politicians (more accurately the political and economic elite) don't actually give a **** about them. They keep the simpletons focused on guns, abortions, gay marriage, and scary foreigners while the elite do exactly what they want on issues they actually give a **** about. As I said, government controls people quite effectively without worrying about their guns. The whole guns as the last defense of liberty schtick is nonsense. Intelligence and education are the only thing that is going to defend liberty, guns don't matter at all.
    I agree with all you say except the guns. Recent years, military who won't affirm they will fire on citizens if ordered, are being removed from the military. That an eminent possibility of fire fights with civilians is apparently serious concern of the executive branch, lends credence their intent is also serious to take our guns.
    Last edited by yobarnacle; 08-24-14 at 11:53 PM.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  8. #98
    Advisor Amanda1858's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    592

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    We are told we live in a free country. "Land of the free" yada yada yada. Simple question: "Do we live in a free country"?
    No, we do not live in a free country. I am sorely reminded of that every April 15th when I pay my Federal and State income taxes.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice"---Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

  9. #99
    Advisor Amanda1858's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    592

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Unless you're black, female or don't own land...
    Wait...I'm Black and female and I do own land. So what does that make me? Free or not free?
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice"---Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

  10. #100
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: Do We Live in a Free Country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda1858 View Post
    Wait...I'm Black and female and I do own land. So what does that make me? Free or not free?
    Good. But guard your freedom jealously.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •