View Poll Results: Is Obama right to go back into Iraq?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    15 31.25%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    8 16.67%
  • Im not American, yes.

    2 4.17%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    11 22.92%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    10 20.83%
  • Im not American, no.

    2 4.17%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 115

Thread: Is Obama right to go back into Iraq?

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is Obama right to go back into Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I only ask what I've asked before: How many Americans have to die for a place that either can't or won't get past sectarianism? I just don't see our interests at stake here if the Maliki government falls. Certainly, ISIS is bad news. Given their actions and those of Maliki, I'm starting to wonder if Iraq wasn't a better place with Saddam. I won't begin to defend him, but we didn't have to keep sending in more people to die for his sake, and there was no significant Islamist uprising. And if there had been, I'd like to think that we'd have been smart enough to say "Good riddance" if they did get rid of him.
    I understand your comments on Americans killed there-but I DONT understand your comments on our interests there. If Iraq falls, or we ignore the situation what will happen? Well that vacuum will be filled. By whom? Russia. Iran. Syria. In other words our geopolitical adversaries if not enemies in some cases. Now-how will THAT impact our interests? Terror. Oil access and production. Etc. You dont GIVE your adversaries advantages if you dont have to-its unwise.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is Obama right to go back into Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    maybe you should study some of their history.
    Already have, and still am. Its very difficult because everything I can read is western. I can "translate" via chrome but arabic does not translate well. There are no definitive sources.

  3. #83
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,161

    Re: Is Obama right to go back into Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I understand your comments on Americans killed there-but I DONT understand your comments on our interests there. If Iraq falls, or we ignore the situation what will happen? Well that vacuum will be filled. By whom? Russia. Iran. Syria. In other words our geopolitical adversaries if not enemies in some cases. Now-how will THAT impact our interests? Terror. Oil access and production. Etc. You dont GIVE your adversaries advantages if you dont have to-its unwise.

    There's a vacuum in Syria right now too, that's why ISIS is as powerful as they are. I'm not sure how you can have a democracy in Iraq without increasing Iran's power anyway. A majority of Iraqis are Shiite same as Iran. In a place where sectarianism is so powerful, the Shiite Mullahs in Iran are going to have significant influence over the Shiite population of Iraq. Short of installing a Sunni dictator (which is exactly what Saddam was) to be a check on Iran, their influence is greater.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is Obama right to go back into Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    There's a vacuum in Syria right now too, that's why ISIS is as powerful as they are. I'm not sure how you can have a democracy in Iraq without increasing Iran's power anyway. A majority of Iraqis are Shiite same as Iran. In a place where sectarianism is so powerful, the Shiite Mullahs in Iran are going to have significant influence over the Shiite population of Iraq. Short of installing a Sunni dictator (which is exactly what Saddam was) to be a check on Iran, their influence is greater.
    There is not a vacuum in Syria-Assad isn't just handing it over-theres an active conflict there. ISIS is free to move into Lebanon, Turkey, Iraq, and Jordan as needed. Iran is the largest state sponsor of terrorism (even if it happens to be fighting ISIS right now) and we should do EVERYTHING we can to diminish its influence...this will be harder after the Obama admin allows them to finish their nukes.

  5. #85
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,161

    Re: Is Obama right to go back into Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    There is not a vacuum in Syria-Assad isn't just handing it over-theres an active conflict there. ISIS is free to move into Lebanon, Turkey, Iraq, and Jordan as needed. Iran is the largest state sponsor of terrorism (even if it happens to be fighting ISIS right now) and we should do EVERYTHING we can to diminish its influence...this will be harder after the Obama admin allows them to finish their nukes.
    If diminishing Iran's influence is the most important thing in the region, wouldn't you think removing Saddam from power was a mistake?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is Obama right to go back into Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    If diminishing Iran's influence is the most important thing in the region, wouldn't you think removing Saddam from power was a mistake?
    No-because its not that simple. Saddam was his own type of bad actor-in fact more so than Iran since the gulf war. He needed to go as well. Theres a reason Bill Clinton made regime change the official policy of the US towards Iraq.

  7. #87
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,161

    Re: Is Obama right to go back into Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    No-because its not that simple. Saddam was his own type of bad actor-in fact more so than Iran since the gulf war. He needed to go as well. Theres a reason Bill Clinton made regime change the official policy of the US towards Iraq.
    I can handle that logic. I just think that any democratic Iraq is going to result in increased influence for Iran given the sectarian bent that everything seems to take there.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Is Obama right to go back into Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I can handle that logic. I just think that any democratic Iraq is going to result in increased influence for Iran given the sectarian bent that everything seems to take there.
    Maybe you are right, but the US pulling out of Iraq leaving a vacuum, and then an influx of sunni terrorists that Iran is already fighting invading unopposed-is essentially delivering Iraq to Iran.

    Frankly I'd rather they vote in the influence.

  9. #89
    User avatar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:55 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    133

    Re: Is Obama right to go back into Iraq?

    No. Because this has worked so well for us in the past.

  10. #90
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Is Obama right to go back into Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Why is it so hard to put "I am neither" as a choice?
    First off, it saying "Libertarian - Left", so I don't get the neutral part.

    Second, I doubt you're neutral and be interested to hear that reasoning.

    Third, if you answered this before, then sorry for bringing it up again.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •