View Poll Results: Is obesity being glamorized and should it be?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it is and I see no problem with that.

    0 0%
  • Yes it is and there poses in issue in doing so.

    11 33.33%
  • No it's not but I believe it should be.

    2 6.06%
  • No it's not and it shouldn't be.

    17 51.52%
  • Other - Please elaborate.

    3 9.09%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 60

Thread: Is Obesity in America Being Glamorized and should it be?

  1. #41
    Professor
    herenow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    12-11-15 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Is Obesity in America Being Glamorized and should it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    The biggest issue I have is that this woman is considered plus size:

    Attachment 67171194

    Give me a ****ing break.
    She looks toned and healthy to me. Size 12 doesn't look the same on everybody. I'm not saying it's chunky or even fat, just that not every size 12 looks toned like that.... Then again... I know some skinny girls who have flab bc their skin isn't toned or they have very little muscle.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Is Obesity in America Being Glamorized and should it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    The biggest issue I have is that this woman is considered plus size:

    Attachment 67171194

    Give me a ****ing break.
    Ummm... Wut?

    If anything, she's too thin, IMO. Just look at her thighs!

  3. #43
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Is Obesity in America Being Glamorized and should it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The guy looks like an average guy and the girl is fat. Obese in fact... Plain and simple. She is not pretty and she is not glamorous.
    You must have failed to actually comprehend my op because you are only repeating what I already said. Knee jerk response.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  4. #44
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Is Obesity in America Being Glamorized and should it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Whose children? Mine yours? Why would I worry about your children? Why would you worry about mine? I assure you, I don't know your children and don't wish to,and don't care what they are told. I care what MINE are told and make sure they get the proper messages from the proper sources their mother and myself and my family. Who cares what somebody else not family says or thinks? I have very little control over others thoughts and decisions. It is pointless to attempt to control that which you have no possibility of control. People come in all shapes and sizes, and its best to realize that.
    I'm referring to all children. And yes I care about the message sent to them. Your response shows a serious lack of how impressionable children are including your own. You may not care what you children are told, but you are assuming you will ultimately have the final say on what information will effect your children, determining how they will use it once they come across it. Regardless of what you may personally tell your children there are things that they will be told by other people, some people you do not know. There are things that they will be shown, told, and taught that you may not want them to know - you nor anyone has any control over this aspect of your child's development. The most you can do is take heed and maybe even an active role in what they are exposed to on some level. Those thing will have varying volumes of impact on their lives.

    People do come in all shapes and sizes, some of those sizes come with an earlier expiration date.
    Last edited by Zinthaniel; 08-12-14 at 01:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  5. #45
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,920

    Re: Is Obesity in America Being Glamorized and should it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    I'm referring to all children. And yes I care about the message sent to them. Your response shows a serious lack of how impressionable children are including your own. You may not care what you children are told, but you are assuming you will ultimately have the final say on what information will effect your children, determining how they will use it once they come across it. Regardless of what you may personally tell your children there are things that they will be told by other people, some people you do not know. There are things that they will be shown, told, and taught that you may not want them to know - you nor anyone has any control over this aspect of your child's development. The most you can do is take heed and maybe even an active role in what they are exposed to on some level. Those thing will have varying volumes of impact on their lives.

    People do come in all shapes and sizes, some of those sizes come with an earlier expiration date.
    I come from a very large and independent minded family. We barely listen to each other let alone outsiders. You obviously come from a nuclear style family. I don't. Mine is extended, very. And we are very clannish and insular. That said, we realize that yes our children will be exposed to concepts other than ours, its one of the reasons we raise them to be independent minded. We know we cant control all the information that our children see, and we DONT try to either. We consider our business what we ourselves do, we don't worry about others whom we have never met, nor will we likely meet and have no business with. They live their lives as they see fit, we live ours as we see fit. What others do that have no direct bearing on our lives is a pointless endeavor to engage in worrying about, when we have our OWN lives and all the difficulties that come with those lives.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  6. #46
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,140

    Re: Is Obesity in America Being Glamorized and should it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Ummm... Wut?

    If anything, she's too thin, IMO. Just look at her thighs!
    I thought you liked thinner girls. That's an Amazon! Probably almost as tall as you, and likely taller in heels.

    Don't see what you mean about her legs. Her shape just doesn't carry most of its weight there. I'd imagine she's right smack in the middle of what her healthy range is. But definitely not actually "plus sized," no.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Is Obesity in America Being Glamorized and should it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    I thought you liked thinner girls.
    This is true. BUT, you have to keep in mind what I meant by that. I meant it in the sense that women who are petite, while still managing to have a moderately shapely figure, are my "ideal."

    i.e. I'm more into "lithe and graceful" than "ba-donk-a-donk."

    Something like this, basically. She's 5'3", only weighs around 110-120, and she's not rocking much of anything more than a B-Cup in the bust department. However, she's also got nice legs, a nice butt, and plenty going on with regard to her W-t-H ratio.

    Is Obesity in America Being Glamorized and should it be?-01-jpg

    Yea, sure. Women like that are probably completely out of my league, in many cases.

    However, that's why it's an "ideal."

    (While this obviously varies to a certain extent) Barring the ideal, a woman who is at least somewhat "shapely" will still usually win out over one who is just "thin."

    That's an Amazon! Probably almost as tall as you, and likely taller in heels.

    Don't see what you mean about her legs. Her shape just doesn't carry most of its weight there. I'd imagine she's right smack in the middle of what her healthy range is. But definitely not actually "plus sized," no.
    Ah. Gotcha. I wasn't aware of her height.

    I was primarily commenting on how her thighs and hips didn't appear to be especially "rounded." However, that would be pretty easily explained by her height, and how the tissue has to stretch across a longer frame than most women.

    Either way, I would agree that she's certainly not "plus sized" or "overweight." She looks perfectly healthy.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 08-12-14 at 04:46 AM.

  8. #48
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Is Obesity in America Being Glamorized and should it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    I come from a very large and independent minded family. We barely listen to each other let alone outsiders. You obviously come from a nuclear style family. I don't. Mine is extended, very. And we are very clannish and insular. That said, we realize that yes our children will be exposed to concepts other than ours, its one of the reasons we raise them to be independent minded. We know we cant control all the information that our children see, and we DONT try to either. We consider our business what we ourselves do, we don't worry about others whom we have never met, nor will we likely meet and have no business with. They live their lives as they see fit, we live ours as we see fit. What others do that have no direct bearing on our lives is a pointless endeavor to engage in worrying about, when we have our OWN lives and all the difficulties that come with those lives.

    I'm not going to argue the personal idiosyncrasies of you or your family. But I can't help but think you are being stubbornly dishonest to claim you zero concern to what your children are exposed to. I'm not from a nuclear family - I'm a gay black man and I'm about as liberal minded as one can get, but there is no denying that without some filtering and monitoring of what children are confronted with when they are in their most impressionable stage and are easily persuaded that it can lead to some damaging results.

    Would you care if the channels your children deliberately watched started broadcasting adult material?

    If their teacher was stepping out line and discussing topics too mature for them?

    Anything?

    Or do you seriously simply not give rat's ass about what children are exposed too at all?

    at some level there has to be some concern. Because there is no denying, not matter how "Independent" your children are that they will be effected by external influences from the world around them. To think otherwise, that your child is above the fray, is normal - but typical naivety of parents.
    Last edited by Zinthaniel; 08-12-14 at 04:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  9. #49
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Is Obesity in America Being Glamorized and should it be?

    The polls are turning somewhat halved surprisingly! One half states that "Yes obesity is glamorized!"

    There are a variety of other diseases out there. Why glamorize obesity specifically?
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  10. #50
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,449
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Obesity in America Being Glamorized and should it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Ummm... Wut?

    If anything, she's too thin, IMO. Just look at her thighs!
    I know. I feel the same way... but alas, it's true... she's a PLUS-SIZED model.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •