View Poll Results: Why isnt the US on the metric system?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • The public is too stupid to change

    13 33.33%
  • Conservatives. Its why we cant have good things.

    9 23.08%
  • Liberals. Its why we cant have good things

    1 2.56%
  • The rest of the world should switch to the US system!

    3 7.69%
  • The downside of change is greater than the upside, and I'm a short term thinker.

    0 0%
  • Who needs the metric system? My moms basement is all in inches.

    2 5.13%
  • I have no idea. Not changing is absolutely stupid.

    14 35.90%
  • Its a French idea.

    3 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 122

Thread: Why doesn't the US use the metric system??

  1. #71
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,446
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why doesn't the US use the metric system??

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    The metric initiative died long before Reagan.

    Americans in general reject the metric system because it is inferior.

    For example try laying out a baseball diamond using metrics. One of the lessons in the 1970s initiative involved a commercial where some kid used a tape measure and calculator to teach his buddies how to lay out a baseball diamond in metric measurements rather than standard. Of course as a propoganda commerical it had a happy ending. What they did not film was the kid getting his butt kicked by his buddies after the cameras stopped rolling.

    This does not even begin to make us think of how hard is would be to lay out a football field according to metrics. That's read REAL fooball as opposed to the pansy european soccer variety.

    Attachment 67171107

    Much like the individual's who make up the USA the USA tends to go it's own way. We do not need the example or methods of inferior nations who we have to bail out frequently from one war or another.
    Yeesh.
    The metric system is inferior to one based on the length of the King's foot? Divided by 12 and multiplied by 5,280? A system where water freezes at 32 (instead of 0) and boils at, what, 212 (instead of 100)? I mean, at least an Imperial gallon is 10 lbs. of water, which kind of makes sense, but what the heck is a US gallon? And then you divide it by 4 and then by two and then by 16.
    Yeah, that all makes much more sense than metrics.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  2. #72
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Why doesn't the US use the metric system??

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    More like picometers or so much smaller--think they know these prefixes go by thousands?
    I'm sure the non-SI scientists have ways of making their units smaller and giving them a new base name.


    I wonder if they know that THC is measured in Nanograms of THC per deciLiter of blood .
    Let's not get started on time. That's where the whole ****house goes up in flames. lulz

  3. #73
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Why doesn't the US use the metric system??

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    I was thinking about this as I was working with my daughter this AM baking, and to adust the recipe we had to figure out how many tablespoons in a cup, how many cups in a quart, etc. I, as usual, converted everything in my head to metric and I just showed her the rough metric approximations (tsp=5ml tbsp=15ml, cup 240ml, pint ~ 500ml ) and figured it out from there. She looked at me and said "why dont we just use that measurement in the first place?".

    The metric system is much, much more simple than the Imperial system... it makes doing simple things like doubling a recipe, calculating distance, and scaling up fluid and weight measurements much easier. The US is virtually the only nation in the world that sticks with the old, goofy imperial system, which probably costs a whole lot of money (everyone else sells stuff or buys stuff in metric units - the US has to be the exception), and we know has destroyed at least one space mission.

    Its a simple system to use. We half-use it already anyway - you buy pop in 2L bottles, all food items are at least marked in metric volume or weight, and people run 5k races. Why dont we complete the job and ditch these worthless british holdovers that even the brits ditched years ago.

    I dont know whatever happened to the metric initiative in the 70s (but I'm guessing Reagan killed it because it was too French and would confuse his constituents) and I know getting the old voting crowd to actually want to change would be tough, but why has there been no major initiative in the US for the last thirty years to finally join the rest of the world in measuring sanity?
    As usual, this poll doesn't contain the option for my answer. My answer is:

    There is no need to change.

  4. #74
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Why doesn't the US use the metric system??

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Yeesh.
    The metric system is inferior to one based on the length of the King's foot? Divided by 12 and multiplied by 5,280? A system where water freezes at 32 (instead of 0) and boils at, what, 212 (instead of 100)? I mean, at least an Imperial gallon is 10 lbs. of water, which kind of makes sense, but what the heck is a US gallon? And then you divide it by 4 and then by two and then by 16.
    Yeah, that all makes much more sense than metrics.
    Yes it does since we think in such terms and that is that.

    We are better than the euro trash and they know it. They way we measure is also better.

  5. #75
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why doesn't the US use the metric system??

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So we should switch to metric because its easier for stupid people to use?
    It's also more precise, more user friendly, more practical (slide rule, anyone?), all around...better.

    At the very least, it would make owning a proper set of tools cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  6. #76
    Professor
    Citizen.Seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    06-18-17 @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,967

    Re: Why doesn't the US use the metric system??

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    I guess when your water bill starts to charge you in drams, you might want to have standardization.
    Not really, as long as the meter reading is accurate it doesn't matter what units are used. Drams, gallons, barrels, fraction of library of congess volume, it makes no differnce.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Why doesn't the US use the metric system??

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    I was thinking about this as I was working with my daughter this AM baking, and to adust the recipe we had to figure out how many tablespoons in a cup, how many cups in a quart, etc. I, as usual, converted everything in my head to metric and I just showed her the rough metric approximations (tsp=5ml tbsp=15ml, cup 240ml, pint ~ 500ml ) and figured it out from there. She looked at me and said "why dont we just use that measurement in the first place?".

    The metric system is much, much more simple than the Imperial system... it makes doing simple things like doubling a recipe, calculating distance, and scaling up fluid and weight measurements much easier. The US is virtually the only nation in the world that sticks with the old, goofy imperial system, which probably costs a whole lot of money (everyone else sells stuff or buys stuff in metric units - the US has to be the exception), and we know has destroyed at least one space mission.

    Its a simple system to use. We half-use it already anyway - you buy pop in 2L bottles, all food items are at least marked in metric volume or weight, and people run 5k races. Why dont we complete the job and ditch these worthless british holdovers that even the brits ditched years ago.

    I dont know whatever happened to the metric initiative in the 70s (but I'm guessing Reagan killed it because it was too French and would confuse his constituents) and I know getting the old voting crowd to actually want to change would be tough, but why has there been no major initiative in the US for the last thirty years to finally join the rest of the world in measuring sanity?
    I don't know, but I wish we did.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Why doesn't the US use the metric system??

    I worked in the photo-lab business for over thirty years where everything is done on the metric system and it does make everything much easier to figure out.
    I believe that the biggest resistance to the adoption of metric system, was to weather temperature ...and rightly so.
    The Fahrenheit scale is perfect for describing weather and the Celsius scale ... well, sucks.
    On the Fahrenheit scale the hottest day of the year in temperate climates is about 100 degrees and the coldest average is about zero, with ten convenient little packets of tens in between.
    The Fahrenheit scale is more like a decimal scale for weather than any other.
    If I say that the temperature tomorrow will be in the 50s you know exactly what that means and how to dress. If I am talking within the Celsius scale and I say tomorrow will be in the 20s that could mean anything from 68F to 86F. Not nearly as descriptive or convenient.
    The Celsius scale is not based on the meter anyway ... it is based on the freezing and boiling temperature of water. That makes perfect sense for the chemistry lab, but not for weather. Water almost never boils in nature.
    Why did it have to be adopted as part of the metric system?
    If the US had decided to leave the weather temperature and the Fahrenheit scale alone then Americans would have been more willing to adopt true metric measurement elsewhere.

    Weather is something everyone talks about everyday and the Celsius scale is just not refined or well suited enough for describing it.
    Last edited by Buck Ewer; 08-10-14 at 09:11 PM.

  9. #79
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Why doesn't the US use the metric system??

    Yet there is an easy equation to go from Fahrenheit to Celsius.
    And an easy mnemonic was 0oC equals 32oF and then go up 5oC for every 9oF.
    A 1.8/1 ratio.

    And then there's needing to add 273o to the Celsius reading to get Kelvin used in the Gas Laws .
    Physics is Phun

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Why doesn't the US use the metric system??

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    Let's not get started on time. That's where the whole ****house goes up in flames. lulz
    If we were really interested in making sense we would be on a twenty hour day and a thirteen month calender.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •