View Poll Results: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    53 50.96%
  • No

    42 40.38%
  • Other

    9 8.65%
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 266

Thread: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    01-05-18 @ 08:20 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,838

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    A trade union is a union that requires you to go to school to learn a trade, through either or both, in class schooling or on the job apprenticeship. Pretty sure dock workers and slaughterhouse employees don't fit that description, but I could be wrong. I know as an Ironworker I am quite glad I have a union to represent me.
    A union with happy members is fully legitimate.

  2. #62
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,780

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I don't see anyone else stepping up to protect the interests of workers. I do see a lot of companies doing their best to exploit workers. Seems to me like they're necessary.
    Unions have evolved to protecting themselves as a form of big business first, and workers second, but yeah they are pretty much the only ones looking out for workers at all.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #63
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,948

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by ARTHUR 1976 View Post
    This guy is smart he takes the Union gig, just like i did!! because without union representation they can fire you anytime they want without good reason or cause, so what difference does it make???

    I'll have more job security with the union, at least if i go down, the fu@king company will go down with me..
    You're the consummate union member - devoted only to yourself and willing to make ANYONE pay so that you can get yours. There was a time when unions were a good thing, but people like you took over and allowed their greed and selfishness to destroy that unions were doing. I've never worked in a union shop, my job security came not from my union, but from the quality of work I did. I determined my future and my value to my employer, not a group of lawyers/lobbyists, but my effort, my work ethic, my intellect.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  4. #64
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,780

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    You're the consummate union member - devoted only to yourself and willing to make ANYONE pay so that you can get yours. There was a time when unions were a good thing, but people like you took over and allowed their greed and selfishness to destroy that unions were doing. I've never worked in a union shop, my job security came not from my union, but from the quality of work I did. I determined my future and my value to my employer, not a group of lawyers/lobbyists, but my effort, my work ethic, my intellect.
    How is that really different from corporate CEOs and shareholders?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #65
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    How is that really different from corporate CEOs and shareholders?
    One group is concerned about profits, the other doesn't care.

  6. #66
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,780

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    One group is concerned about profits, the other doesn't care.
    Define "profit". All groups are very concerned with their individual profits. CEOs, shareholders, union members, and even non-union workers, ALL are concerned with how much they themselves as individuals take home. Separating them into groups sounds good for debate sake, but is incomplete.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #67
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Define "profit". All groups are very concerned with their individual profits. CEOs, shareholders, union members, and even non-union workers, ALL are concerned with how much they themselves as individuals take home. Separating them into groups sounds good for debate sake, but is incomplete.
    No need to over think it. CEO's and shareholders are concerned with the health and profitability of the company. Union members are not concerned with the health and profitability of the company.

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,770
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    No need to over think it. CEO's and shareholders are concerned with the health and profitability of the company. Union members are not concerned with the health and profitability of the company.
    The union I work for, stagehands, works for much less for the local theaters, as they can't afford our corporate rate.

    Your position isn't universal.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,770
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    ..and when the competition between the two companies comes down to one of them surviving and one of them closing it's doors, it will be the non-union shop that stays open and the union shop that closes.

    My issue with unions is that too often they fail to recognize that what is best for the company is normally best for the employee. The industry I work has seen substantial contraction over the last decade or so and the survivors (like us) have generally been the non-union shops.
    I prefer the European cooperative model. But ours is adversarial.

    If owners were willing to take a haircut when necessary, unions probably would too.

    But owners are only concerned with profits and routinely downsize/offshore when profits are threatened.

    It goes both ways.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  10. #70
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    The union I work for, stagehands, works for much less for the local theaters, as they can't afford our corporate rate.

    Your position isn't universal.
    In the broad sense, I suggest it is. Obviously there are exceptions. In your case, it appears to make sense to keep the business viable.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •