View Poll Results: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    53 50.96%
  • No

    42 40.38%
  • Other

    9 8.65%
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 266

Thread: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

  1. #221
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,942

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Goodness... look at all the sloganeering

    1. Says who? You?

    2. Because an increasing number of states are making scabbing legal, and the typical low information right wing blue collar worker has no problem with being a taker (receiving good pay and benefits which he never did and never will contribute towards the cost of obtaining, and which would surely not exist unless others did and do pay for).

    3. Assuming your figures are correct, I think we can then reasonably assume that they are either newly legal scabs or the union(s) involved were somehow legislated out of existence or representation by right wing governments or right wing courts.

    4. There are some local/state government irregularities (threats, interference) reported in that vote. Don't know the current status of any legal action, if any.

    5. You could apply that logic to many other things, like the U.S. Constitution either in part or in entirety.

    Face it.....

    When given a choice, people are choosing non union

    You can spin that any way you want

    To me it is the death knell of unions....period
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  2. #222
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    Face it.....

    When given a choice, people are choosing non union

    You can spin that any way you want

    To me it is the death knell of unions....period
    You were correct in what you say here. I don't agree with close shop states, however, I also don't agree with forcing a union to represent people who are not members. If you don't want to join don't join but the union shouldn't have to represent you then. If unions go away because people stop using their services and that is the way America works. I hope it doesn't happen and if it does I hope works and conditions do not slowly start to backslide. I acknowledge that fear mongering on working conditions can go into a slippery slope fallacy so I will try to be careful not to commit that fallacy too much.

  3. #223
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?


    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    So you stating that those rights have already been won is not true then.
    No. I’m saying those adults stuck making the french-fries as their only career opportunity should:

    1. Have stayed off drugs.

    2. Have kept their legs closed and not had three kids by the age of 14.

    3. Have gotten their GED, at a minimum.

    4. Have not spent their high-school years in and out of juvenile detentions centers / rehab.

    5. Have learned to read and write.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    There is no proof that declining union membership means "unions sux"
    Right. Declining membership is evidence of people’s perceived benefit of unions.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  4. #224
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    "Are you just jealous and want to bring everyone down to your level"...ROTFLMMFAO. Yeah, that's it. I am jealous that I don't have to PAY for a job. Yeah, I am jealous that I would have to be accountable to a BA who only takes care of his friends. When did I say that I HATE people making money? You are just in denial that unions are a thing of the past. Democrats have used unions for years for their money and what have they done for you? NOTHING...as I have said before, union numbers are dwindling each year. Best of luck in your servitude to your union.
    well you obviously have something against unions. did they touch you inappropriately? show me on the doll where they touched you.
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

  5. #225
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    Face it.....

    When given a choice, people are choosing non union

    You can spin that any way you want [...]
    I find it interesting that you don't want to know why, but instead are happy to not only believe what you've been told, but to repeat it. Seems to be prevalent in certain segments of society today. A term I first heard coined during Sarah Palin's run for Vice President was "intellectually incurious". At that time with regards to that person it fit very well. I don' think that is a good thing for politicians or voters.

    I also find it interesting that you reply to a counter argument as "spin" instead of providing an intellectual counter-point.

    However, I do not find it interesting or surprising that your talking point is wrong:

    Minnesota Home-Care Workers Say Yes to Union
    SEIU Adds 27,000 Home-Health Aides to 600,000 Others in About 20 States

    By Kris Maher The Wall Street Journal
    Updated Aug. 26, 2014 6:58 p.m. ET


    The Service Employees International Union scored a victory Tuesday as home health-care workers in Minnesota voted to be represented by the labor group

    Minnesota Home-Care Workers Say Yes to Union - WSJ

  6. #226
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,942

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I find it interesting that you don't want to know why, but instead are happy to not only believe what you've been told, but to repeat it. Seems to be prevalent in certain segments of society today. A term I first heard coined during Sarah Palin's run for Vice President was "intellectually incurious". At that time with regards to that person it fit very well. I don' think that is a good thing for politicians or voters.

    I also find it interesting that you reply to a counter argument as "spin" instead of providing an intellectual counter-point.

    However, I do not find it interesting or surprising that your talking point is wrong:

    I believe what I have lived

    I manage people...right now, around 140....but over the years, thousands

    People want management to treat them with respect, and to treat them fairly....no more....no less

    You seem to think unions are the only way for that to happen....you are wrong

    It is a business I manage....but it isn't successful without the people I employ

    They help me....I pay them....win/win for both sides

    No unions...no dues....no people on the job that aren't earning their keep

    Someone doesn't pull their weight...they are out the door

    Someone gives or does more than their coworkers, they are compensated for that extra

    It is the way I've been doing business for. 30 plus years and it still works today
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  7. #227
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    I don't have much of an issue with unions, so long as:

    There are no "closed shops".
    Union dues are collected by the union, not the government.
    They don't get out of hand, like in some school areas, where it's extremely difficult to fire a teacher, no matter what they do. Lack of teaching ability isn't even on the list as an acceptable reason, it seems.

    Probably a few other things I have yet to think of
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #228
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    I believe what I have lived

    I manage people...right now, around 140....but over the years, thousands

    People want management to treat them with respect, and to treat them fairly....no more....no less

    You seem to think unions are the only way for that to happen....you are wrong

    It is a business I manage....but it isn't successful without the people I employ

    They help me....I pay them....win/win for both sides

    No unions...no dues....no people on the job that aren't earning their keep

    Someone doesn't pull their weight...they are out the door

    Someone gives or does more than their coworkers, they are compensated for that extra

    It is the way I've been doing business for. 30 plus years and it still works today
    I wish more supervisors were this way then I would agree that there would be little need for unions. In my experience, most supervisors arent this way.

  9. #229
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    I believe what I have lived
    Based upon the link I provided proving your earlier claim wrong, perhaps you should get out a bit more.

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    I manage people...right now, around 140....but over the years, thousands [...]
    It's the internet -- you can be whatever you want to be

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    You seem to think unions are the only way for that to happen....you are wrong [...]
    Strawman.

  10. #230
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I don't have much of an issue with unions, so long as:

    There are no "closed shops".
    If you don't have a closed shop then you have takers (people who take without contributing). I thought takers were unpopular.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Union dues are collected by the union, not the government.
    That seems to be a strawman but it is probably a right wing talking point (= falsehood or misrepresentation).

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    They don't get out of hand, like in some school areas, where it's extremely difficult to fire a teacher, no matter what they do. Lack of teaching ability isn't even on the list as an acceptable reason, it seems. [...]
    Another right wing talking point with no facts in evidence. I'd be interested to read about some of these cases.

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •