View Poll Results: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    53 50.96%
  • No

    42 40.38%
  • Other

    9 8.65%
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 266

Thread: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

  1. #91
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Labor unions are still good, in every sector (even the public), in protecting worker's rights. Not everything is covered by OSHA. For example, making sure overtime is passed around equaly; vacation is distributed evenly and fairly; the punishment fits the infraction.

  2. #92
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    More power to them.
    But I'd doubt a robot can do my job since it requires persistent learning and growing.
    LOL, and when the robot does come along, or the Chinaman with your "skill set" for $.75 hr, will you fight for your job?
    Free Trade Doesn't Work: What Should Replace It and Why,
    Ian Fletcher

    https://www.numbersusa.org/

  3. #93
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:00 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,396

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I agree there has been too much emphasis on short term strategies for gain, as opposed to long term growth. That has been fueled by a number of factors. As long as profits meet targets, companies are bound to the need to be responsive to the market place.

    Don't forget to factor in the fickleness of the consumer. One months winner is next months forgotten has been. There is very little loyalty among customers. Whether that is being driven by the shortsightedness of the companies, or the other way around, is a reasonable question to ponder.
    Agreed. As far as customer fickleness, I think it's a little of both. Not sure which came first, though. That's probably a chicken-and-egg type question.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by 274ina View Post
    LOL, and when the robot does come along, or the Chinaman with your "skill set" for $.75 hr, will you fight for your job?
    It is clear to me you know nothing.

  5. #95
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    09-14-16 @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,415

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    It is clear to me you know nothing.
    And clear to me you are fine with replacing your fellow man with a robot. (because you fell for the I'm better BS) And your living in a dream world.

    The TPP and the Chinaman will be coming for YOU TOO.................
    Free Trade Doesn't Work: What Should Replace It and Why,
    Ian Fletcher

    https://www.numbersusa.org/

  6. #96
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,334

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Hi polgara

    A company has to be very careful how it allocates it's capital. In the past, economic downturns presented opportunities for gain because market share was more readily available as the tide turned. Today, it's like trying to judge whether a traffic signal is going to be green four blocks before you get to it. Judge wrong, and it could be all over.
    I don't know how any businessman can accurately figure out what the future might look like, and what rules and regulations might be dreamt up next! No wonder so many are leaving for greener pastures elsewhere! I understand their logic, but I'm saddened by our loss of jobs here, because that affects us all in negative ways - higher unemployment, more having to rely on government assistance just to survive, and so forth. There are now more of them than those still working, and it cannot continue, IMO, because those who still have a job see their paychecks shrinking, and they can do little to change things!

  7. #97
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    If we want a strong middle class in this country they matter.

    Snip: Opposing view: Union jobs build the middle class

    Middle-class families have been losing ground for more than a decade. Today, working people have a smaller piece of the pie than at any time in the past 50 years. During that period, the number of people belonging to unions also declined steadily; in fact, if you look at the decline of the middle class beside the state of union membership, those numbers are parallel. This should concern everyone who cares about a strong America.

  8. #98
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    I don't know how any businessman can accurately figure out what the future might look like, and what rules and regulations might be dreamt up next! No wonder so many are leaving for greener pastures elsewhere! I understand their logic, but I'm saddened by our loss of jobs here, because that affects us all in negative ways - higher unemployment, more having to rely on government assistance just to survive, and so forth. There are now more of them than those still working, and it cannot continue, IMO, because those who still have a job see their paychecks shrinking, and they can do little to change things!
    For me, the figuring out the future is the part of the "fun" of it.

    From my own experience, it's the rules and regulations that are the killer, since they are usually instigated by people who don't know the concept of "unintended" consequences. I sold my previous business because I grew weary of fighting inept lawmakers obsessed with PC dogma, that shouldn't have applied to what we were doing.

    The investment company that bought it is closing down the plant here in California and moving production back to Indiana. I shed a tear because of the history of it, but more tears because of the really good people and their families that facility took care of for almost 30 years. It's closing is purely because of California regulations and tax policy. It's almost impossible to predict what might come next because so much of it is completely illogical and off the wall.

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,416
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    That's a good thing. Those with a real interest in opera are doing the right thing. Perhaps a new director is the next step.
    We raised a lot of money and sold out the last couple shows, but the lions share came from a single donor and replacement of the director was a condition.

    She cited the failure to even contact other opera companies which have dealt successfully with similar problems. We had people from them fly in at their own expense to talk about how they went about it.

    Had to go over the directors head to even hold additional meetings on the subject.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  10. #100
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,334

    Re: Are Labor and Trade Unions Still Necessary in Our Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    For me, the figuring out the future is the part of the "fun" of it.

    From my own experience, it's the rules and regulations that are the killer, since they are usually instigated by people who don't know the concept of "unintended" consequences. I sold my previous business because I grew weary of fighting inept lawmakers obsessed with PC dogma, that shouldn't have applied to what we were doing.

    The investment company that bought it is closing down the plant here in California and moving production back to Indiana. I shed a tear because of the history of it, but more tears because of the really good people and their families that facility took care of for almost 30 years. It's closing is purely because of California regulations and tax policy. It's almost impossible to predict what might come next because so much of it is completely illogical and off the wall.
    I really would like to hear more about the "utopia" that some envision for our future. It might enlighten us if they have some good ideas. All I hear is discontent with something that has made us into the greatest country the world has ever known, and it sounds more like wishful thinking than reality, but I haven't heard their arguments for changing things to be what they think is best. Why do I never hear why they feel we need a change? "Because we know best" isn't going to work without hearing some facts, since most of us passed childhood a long time ago, when those words had some meaning! Sorry....

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •