View Poll Results: What does equlity under the law mean?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • That a law passed by government must apply to every citizen equlity.

    15 93.75%
  • That government creates laws which makes all people equal in society

    1 6.25%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: what is equlity under the law and what does it mean?

  1. #1
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    what is equlity under the law and what does it mean?

    I have listen to people on this forum interpret equality under the law, ...how they understand it.

    do you know what it means?

  2. #2
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: what is equlity under the law and what does it mean?

    I imagine it will mean different things to different people but for me it means treating everyone the same without preferences or exclusions. I personally do not see why we need mention race or gender in any law. I believe once you add race or gender into law it can then become preferential or exclusive.

  3. #3
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: what is equlity under the law and what does it mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    I imagine it will mean different things to different people but for me it means treating everyone the same without preferences or exclusions. I personally do not see why we need mention race or gender in any law. I believe once you add race or gender into law it can then become preferential or exclusive.
    BUT by whom?

  4. #4
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: what is equlity under the law and what does it mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    BUT by whom?
    Anyone acting in an official governing or public position.


    I have a different view of the private sector.

  5. #5
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: what is equlity under the law and what does it mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    Anyone acting in an official governing or public position.


    I have a different view of the private sector.
    so if I have you correct, it is government that is supposed to treat everyone equal, not the people.

  6. #6
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,513
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: what is equlity under the law and what does it mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    so if I have you correct, it is government that is supposed to treat everyone equal, not the people.
    That's how I would interpret his/her remarks. The federal government was intended to favor no person or group or discriminate between no persons or groups but apply the same rules to everybody regardless of age, race, gender, religion, political affiliation, or socioeconomic status. The federal government imposed no such requirement to the states, local communities, or individual persons or groups, however.

    So as it was intended, the federal government could not dispense charity or any other government provisions to some but not all as that would violate the equal protection under the law concept. But the states and local communities could. The federal government could not deem one person unworthy for service or accommodation, but the individual citizen could. The Founders deemed that liberty could not exist if each person was not master of his own person and property.

    Of course over the last hundred years or so years, power greedy politicians and the courts they put into place have corrupted that principle again and again as more liberties have gradually been taken from the people and more power transferred to government. And I believe the nation is far worse off because of it.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #7
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: what is equlity under the law and what does it mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    so if I have you correct, it is government that is supposed to treat everyone equal, not the people.

    Well I would hope that everyone would both public and private but yea I believe it reaches beyond what the government should doing when they try to force private citizens to treat everyone equally. A business for example should not be forced to conduct business with anyone they do not wish to regardless of reason. If I do not wish to let you into my store because you are ugly, are male or female, smell funny, wear pink shoes whatever that should be my right as the owner.

  8. #8
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: what is equlity under the law and what does it mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    That's how I would interpret his/her remarks. The federal government was intended to favor no person or group or discriminate between no persons or groups but apply the same rules to everybody regardless of age, race, gender, religion, political affiliation, or socioeconomic status. The federal government imposed no such requirement to the states, local communities, or individual persons or groups, however.

    So as it was intended, the federal government could not dispense charity or any other government provisions to some but not all as that would violate the equal protection under the law concept. But the states and local communities could. The federal government could not deem one person unworthy for service or accommodation, but the individual citizen could. The Founders deemed that liberty could not exist if each person was not master of his own person and property.

    Of course over the last hundred years or so years, power greedy politicians and the courts they put into place have corrupted that principle again and again as more liberties have gradually been taken from the people and more power transferred to government. And I believe the nation is far worse off because of it.
    the way I have found it to be is government, local, state or federal government must treat everyone equal under the laws they [government] create.

    people do not have to treat other people equal because they don't make laws, .....of coarse that does not mean I can violate others rights in any way.

  9. #9
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: what is equlity under the law and what does it mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    Well I would hope that everyone would both public and private but yea I believe it reaches beyond what the government should doing when they try to force private citizens to treat everyone equally. A business for example should not be forced to conduct business with anyone they do not wish to regardless of reason. If I do not wish to let you into my store because you are ugly, are male or female, smell funny, wear pink shoes whatever that should be my right as the owner.
    agree..

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: what is equlity under the law and what does it mean?

    In practical terms, it means that the protection one gets under the law is a function of the quality of the legal representation one can afford and the type of connections that one has.
    Last edited by MildSteel; 08-08-14 at 03:36 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •