View Poll Results: Should occupancy rates/lock-up quotas for private prisons be illegal?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    48 97.96%
  • No

    1 2.04%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Should occupancy rates/lock-up quotas for private prisons be illegal?

  1. #1
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Should occupancy rates/lock-up quotas for private prisons be illegal?

    Should occupancy rates for private prisons be illegal?

    Private purchasing of prisons locks in occupancy rates
    WASHINGTON – At a time when states are struggling to reduce bloated prison populations and tight budgets, a private prison management company is offering to buy prisons in exchange for various considerations, including a controversial guarantee that the governments maintain a 90% occupancy rate for at least 20 years.
    "Lockup Quotas," "Low-crime Taxes," and the For-Profit Prison Industry | Donald Cohen
    6 Shocking Revelations About How Private Prisons Make Their Money | Alternet
    States Guarantee High Prison Populations for Private Prison Industry
    “Lockup quotas” guarantee profits for the U.S. private prison industry | In the Public Interest




    I believe this **** should be illegal. Criminals should be locked up because they deserve it, not because there is some financial incentive for the state or private prisons.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #2
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,934

    Re: Should occupancy rates/lock-up quotas for private prisons be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Should occupancy rates for private prisons be illegal?

    Private purchasing of prisons locks in occupancy rates
    WASHINGTON – At a time when states are struggling to reduce bloated prison populations and tight budgets, a private prison management company is offering to buy prisons in exchange for various considerations, including a controversial guarantee that the governments maintain a 90% occupancy rate for at least 20 years.
    "Lockup Quotas," "Low-crime Taxes," and the For-Profit Prison Industry | Donald Cohen
    6 Shocking Revelations About How Private Prisons Make Their Money | Alternet
    States Guarantee High Prison Populations for Private Prison Industry
    “Lockup quotas” guarantee profits for the U.S. private prison industry | In the Public Interest




    I believe this **** should be illegal. Criminals should be locked up because they deserve it, not because there is some financial incentive for the state or private prisons.
    ****...yes. This is right up there with businesses being able to carry out eminent domain and asset forfeiture in the chapter titled "Hilariously horrible policies that exist despite everyone knowing they're pure evil."

    Edit: on second thought, for-profit prisons are probably quite a bit worse.

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,356

    Re: Should occupancy rates/lock-up quotas for private prisons be illegal?

    Private prisons shouldn't exist period.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  4. #4
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should occupancy rates/lock-up quotas for private prisons be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Private prisons shouldn't exist period.
    I agree with that.Incarceration should never be profit motivated.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #5
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Should occupancy rates/lock-up quotas for private prisons be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I believe this **** should be illegal. Criminals should be locked up because they deserve it, not because there is some financial incentive for the state or private prisons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Private prisons shouldn't exist period.
    I completely agree with both of you on this. Private prisons are an absolutely terrible idea.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should occupancy rates/lock-up quotas for private prisons be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Should occupancy rates for private prisons be illegal?

    Private purchasing of prisons locks in occupancy rates
    WASHINGTON – At a time when states are struggling to reduce bloated prison populations and tight budgets, a private prison management company is offering to buy prisons in exchange for various considerations, including a controversial guarantee that the governments maintain a 90% occupancy rate for at least 20 years.
    "Lockup Quotas," "Low-crime Taxes," and the For-Profit Prison Industry | Donald Cohen
    6 Shocking Revelations About How Private Prisons Make Their Money | Alternet
    States Guarantee High Prison Populations for Private Prison Industry
    “Lockup quotas” guarantee profits for the U.S. private prison industry | In the Public Interest




    I believe this **** should be illegal. Criminals should be locked up because they deserve it, not because there is some financial incentive for the state or private prisons.
    Private prisons should be illegal.

  7. #7
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should occupancy rates/lock-up quotas for private prisons be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I believe this **** should be illegal. Criminals should be locked up because they deserve it, not because there is some financial incentive for the state or private prisons.
    I agree with this 100%. Private for-profit prisons should not exist at all.

    But, if we do have them, at the very least they should be a flat-rate. The corporation should be paid $x whether they have 2,000 "customers" or 2. The perverse incentive to lock people up unnecessarily is far too great to base payment on simple head count.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #8
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should occupancy rates/lock-up quotas for private prisons be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I agree with this 100%. Private for-profit prisons should not exist at all.

    But, if we do have them, at the very least they should be a flat-rate. The corporation should be paid $x whether they have 2,000 "customers" or 2. The perverse incentive to lock people up unnecessarily is far too great to base payment on simple head count.
    Wouldn't that motivate them to not lock up people who might deserve prison time and possibly cut corners resulting in less safe or less escape-proof prisons?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,063

    Re: Should occupancy rates/lock-up quotas for private prisons be illegal?

    i'm not comfortable with privatizing the prison system. it's too much of a conflict of interest, especially in the country that locks up more people than any other nation.

    Should occupancy rates/lock-up quotas for private prisons be illegal?-screen-shot-2012-10-15-10-25-43-am-jpg

  10. #10
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Should occupancy rates/lock-up quotas for private prisons be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Wouldn't that motivate them to not lock up people who might deserve prison time and possibly cut corners resulting in less safe or less escape-proof prisons?
    They'd get what they're sent, and keep them for as long as told. They wouldn't, however, be wanting to keep them any longer than necessary, so they wouldn't be lobbying lawmakers for more laws and harsher sentences.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •