View Poll Results: In politics does Intent trump Outcome?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a right leaning American, yes.

    1 4.76%
  • Im a left leaning American, yes.

    0 0%
  • Im not American, yes.

    0 0%
  • Im a right leaning American, no.

    11 52.38%
  • Im a left leaning American, no.

    8 38.10%
  • Im not American, no.

    1 4.76%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66

Thread: In politics does Intent trump Outcome?

  1. #11
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: In politics does Intent trump Outcome?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post


    In medicine, we quickly learn that what matters is outcomes-not intent to help. Things are too important to think otherwise.

    In politics-that distinction is often blurred. Programs that claim to improve education but dont. The war on poverty that failed to lower poverty. The war on drugs.

    Intent often is seen as somehow benevolent and superior to whatever the actual outcomes are. Rhetoric is used as a shield to objective failure, turning questions of fact into questions of motive, etc.

    What do you say?
    Ill give you an even more clear example of intent over outcome...

    The GOP demagogued immigration ad nauseum and then left DC with no actual serious attempt at a solution. Intent over outcome.


  2. #12
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: In politics does Intent trump Outcome?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    If my intent wasn't to help, why would I care about the outcome? You have it backwards.

    This begs the question-why support it if it doesn't work?
    Your analogy seems flawed in the sense that nobody supports what doesn't work for themselves. The question begs, do you want things to politically work for the privileged few or the majority. What works best for you and your interests may not work for society as a whole.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: In politics does Intent trump Outcome?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post


    In medicine, we quickly learn that what matters is outcomes-not intent to help. Things are too important to think otherwise.

    In politics-that distinction is often blurred. Programs that claim to improve education but dont. The war on poverty that failed to lower poverty. The war on drugs.

    Intent often is seen as somehow benevolent and superior to whatever the actual outcomes are. Rhetoric is used as a shield to objective failure, turning questions of fact into questions of motive, etc.

    What do you say?
    Both are important. For example Regan's Amnesty bill. His intent was a good one. The reason he gave amnesty was in return for more secure borders. The intent was good. However his end result was a failure. Our borders are no more secure now than they were then. In fact it could be argued that they are worse.

    BTW: Didn't vote in the poll. No option for me to. Not even an option for both being equal. The world is not black and white. There are many shades of grey.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #14
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,707

    Re: In politics does Intent trump Outcome?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Conservatism generally seems to be result-driven.
    I don't think you realize what you inadvertently just admitted.

    99% vs 1%? Result-driven.
    War on Women? Result-driven.
    Military-industrial complex? Result-driven.
    Over 100,000 Iraqi civilians killed in war? Result-driven.
    Starving schools of public funds? Result-driven.
    Exploitation of undocumented Hispanic laborers? Result-driven.
    Drowning government in a bathtub? Result-driven.

    As has been explained many times around here, only to meet tone-deaf reactions such as the ones this post will inevitably receive, liberal policies can work when not watered down or sabotaged by the Far Right. That is part of why most of the developed world has healthier societies than we do--they don't have a powerful faction to stand in the way of everything that would bring about social progress. Their conservatives provide level-headed analyses to rationally guide the changes, not bat**** craziness to oppose the changes.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  5. #15
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,707

    Re: In politics does Intent trump Outcome?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Both are important. For example Regan's Amnesty bill. His intent was a good one. The reason he gave amnesty was in return for more secure borders. The intent was good. However his end result was a failure. Our borders are no more secure now than they were then. In fact it could be argued that they are worse.

    BTW: Didn't vote in the poll. No option for me to. Not even an option for both being equal. The world is not black and white. There are many shades of grey.
    Fifty of them?
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  6. #16
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,940

    Re: In politics does Intent trump Outcome?

    the road to hell is paved with good intentions

    no one expects their idea to fail, or to cause even more problems than it was supposed to fix

    but it happens ll the time

    something didnt work....we must not have spent enough on the project....increase the funding

    not try to determine WHY something failed....just throw more money at it

    our education system is the PERFECT example...we keep spending more and more and more on it

    and look at the results....are our children better educated? are they prepared to start their life in the world?

    do they have one saleable skill that will get them a better paying job than minimum wage?

    "sometimes **** just aint working" as my grandad would say

    time to try something new....
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  7. #17
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,940

    Re: In politics does Intent trump Outcome?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    Ill give you an even more clear example of intent over outcome...

    The GOP demagogued immigration ad nauseum and then left DC with no actual serious attempt at a solution. Intent over outcome.

    please expound on what you want the GOP to do about immigration

    the only thing the president has said he wants is more money, and more money, and more money.....it's like a 45 stuck on a scratch (the youngsters may not get that reference)

    ooooh....and he wants a plan to amnesty.....

    is that what you are referring to?
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: In politics does Intent trump Outcome?

    In politics does Intent trump Outcome?

    Huh?

    In politics, self-serving greed trumps all.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: In politics does Intent trump Outcome?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Taxes on the wealthy are low in the US because taxes are low in general. The US has the most progressive tax code in the OECD. That's the opposite of what "trickle down" implies. Trickle down economics has never even been proposed, much less enacted.

    With low taxes, the US economy is doing great by international standards, and that includes the middle class.
    Even the term is loaded, of course by leftists.

  10. #20
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: In politics does Intent trump Outcome?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post


    In medicine, we quickly learn that what matters is outcomes-not intent to help. Things are too important to think otherwise.

    In politics-that distinction is often blurred. Programs that claim to improve education but dont. The war on poverty that failed to lower poverty. The war on drugs.

    Intent often is seen as somehow benevolent and superior to whatever the actual outcomes are. Rhetoric is used as a shield to objective failure, turning questions of fact into questions of motive, etc.

    What do you say?
    suck, anonymous polls do much

    Yoda



Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •