View Poll Results: Should prostitution be legalized?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    76 55.07%
  • No.

    21 15.22%
  • Decriminalize and heavily regulate it.

    38 27.54%
  • Other.

    3 2.17%
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 425

Thread: Prostitution

  1. #61
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,104

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    Fifty posts in, and we have yet to run into anyone who doesn't want prostitution legalized. I think it's time to take this to Congress!
    I'll bite.... Decriminalized, yes; legalized, no. I see no reason to legalize it; it is a matter of morality. Though I do not believe in legislating morality, I see no reason to un-legislate those rules that have existed for centuries that have a reason consistent with the social good.

    BTW, the original concept of "decriminalized and regulated" is somewhat oxymoronic as decriminalized is not the same thing as legalized. To my knowledge, we have yet to figure out how to regulated illegal activities. As a matter of illustration, marijuana has been decriminalized it many states; but it has been legalized in two (WA and CO). Marijuana is available as a controlled substance (drug)

    There's a big difference between legalization and decriminalization | The Daily Caller
    Last edited by upsideguy; 08-04-14 at 02:09 AM.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Oh and this quote deals with your argument too.

    "Laissez-faire! I will begin by saying, in order to avoid any ambiguity, that laissez-faire is used here for honest things, with the state instituted precisely to prevent dishonest things.

    This having been said, and with regard to things that are innocent in themselves, such as work, trade, teaching, association, banking, etc., a choice must be made. It is necessary for the state to let things be done or prevent them from being done.

    If it lets things be done, we will be free and optimally administered most economically, since nothing costs less than laissez-faire.

    If it prevents things from being done, woe to our freedom and our purse. Woe to our freedom, since to prevent things is to tie our hands; woe to our purse, since to prevent things requires agents and to employ agents takes money.

    In reply to this, socialists say: “Laissez-faire! What a disaster!” Why, if you please? “Because, when you leave men to act, they do wrong and act against their interests. It is right for the state to direct them.”

    This is simply absurd. Do you seriously have such faith in human wisdom that you want universal suffrage and government of all by all and then you proclaim these very men whom you consider fit to govern others unfit to govern themselves?" - Frédéric Bastiat
    The answer as to why human wisdom is occasionally better manifest through government action rather than market forces is varied. Sometimes it is because the government has more information, or better training at analyzing a complex situation, or both than the people on whose behalf they are acting. Sometimes it is because government is acting to protect people from deceptive other people. Sometimes it is because a minority in society can use market forces to manipulate markets to their own advantage, and away from the advantage of other players, often their customers. Etc.

    It is absurd that you think that markets magically automatically behave more rationally toward the benefit of society than government can. Quite often it is true that they do, and you focus on those examples so intently that you fail to realize you are extending those examples to matters for which they do not apply.

    Laissez Faire, yes!! But only when it is working well according to the judgement of society.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  3. #63
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,178

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    It should be legal and regulated like any other business. This is a women's safety issue to me. Illegal prostitution leads to abuse, disease, crime, and human trafficking. It just makes NO SENSE to me to make prostitution illegal.
    It's not clear that legalizing prostitution improves women's safety, however. There's some evidence that sex trafficking can actually increase as a result of legalization.

    Human Trafficking Persists Despite Legality of Prostitution in Germany - SPIEGEL ONLINE

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    The answer as to why human wisdom is occasionally better manifest through government action rather than market forces is varied. Sometimes it is because the government has more information, or better training at analyzing a complex situation, or both than the people on whose behalf they are acting. Sometimes it is because government is acting to protect people from deceptive other people. Sometimes it is because a minority in society can use market forces to manipulate markets to their own advantage, and away from the advantage of other players, often their customers. Etc.
    The government always acts on those in society to put in place the solutions it sees fit. They manipulate everything and everyone to their own desires and while sometimes there is a positive return there is always the lose of choice and a basic failure to protect the rights of the people that goes with it. There is no reason what so ever to think that the government that gets it's workers from the those same people that could be employed by industry are any more qualified or have the potential to be anymore informed than anyone else on any given issue and therefore no reason whatsoever to assume that they can make decisions others can not.

    It is absurd that you think that markets magically automatically behave more rationally toward the benefit of society than government can. Quite often it is true that they do, and you focus on those examples so intently that you fail to realize you are extending those examples to matters for which they do not apply.
    It's not about what is rational, but leaving the decisions of peoples lives to the people to leave them free from the control of the government. Most of the time industry will find itself in compliance with the desires of consumers or they will be left behind. The exception to this rule are usually monopolies held up by the very government you are running to the solutions for. I don't think that an industry that will undoubtedly be filled with competitors will not have things like HIV testing as something most of those in industry will practice as the risk is too high for them to not. They will lose consumers and open themselves to lawsuit, and neither of which they will find in their interest to a large degree.

    Laissez Faire, yes!! But only when it is working well according to the judgement of society.
    But the market is to the judgement of society. If you complain about a cable company providing you crappy speeds or making you rent out a box for no reason(which there isn't one), and you keep buying the service anyway you have made a choice and empowered bad business practices. Money talks and people doing business with cable companies speaks volumes. While on the other hand, the government is only to the judgement of those that win over those that lose or more times than not just involve the say of government.
    Last edited by Henrin; 08-04-14 at 02:19 AM.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Prostitution

    It's a very complicated issue because there are so many girls who are victims of human trafficking involved. They are engaged in prostitution involuntarily. And those girls end up being treated like criminals even though they are actually victims.

    If somebody has sex with a prostitute who is doing it involuntarily they are a rapist. I think we should legalize prostitution and institute the death penalty for rape.

  6. #66
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,296

    Re: Prostitution

    How else will Gper get some trim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,309

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Should prostitution be legalized?
    Why should it be forbidden?

  8. #68
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Prostitution

    I think it would be best to have sex for free. As in governmentally sponsored prostitution
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  9. #69
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    I think all victimless crime should be legal- the government should not be allowed to regulate behavior.



    Try convincing all of the far right Evangelicals to support that idea.

    Lots of luck.

    They'd like to stop you from drinking beer and dancing.

    All for your own good (To keep you from going to Hell.), of course.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 08-04-14 at 04:52 AM.

  10. #70
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    I think it would be best to have sex for free. As in governmentally sponsored prostitution



    Maybe that could be worked out but I don't expect to see that start in the near future.

Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •