View Poll Results: Should prostitution be legalized?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    76 55.07%
  • No.

    21 15.22%
  • Decriminalize and heavily regulate it.

    38 27.54%
  • Other.

    3 2.17%
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 425

Thread: Prostitution

  1. #401
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Regard your half comment, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

    And yes adultery should be illegal.
    For the sake of conversation, let's say adultery is illegal. Should we lock up adulterers?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #402
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    For the sake of conversation, let's say adultery is illegal. Should we lock up adulterers?
    I think it would probably be best to punish it with a discretionary prison sentence (no mandatory minimum).

  3. #403
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,992

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Because it's immoral, and if it were legal it would be solicited publicly.
    Whose standard of morality should we be using? Christian? Jewish? Muslim? Wiccan? And most importantly why?
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  4. #404
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Whose standard of morality should we be using? Christian? Jewish? Muslim? Wiccan? And most importantly why?
    Christian. Or consider natural law in itself.

  5. #405
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,670

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Whose standard of morality should we be using? Christian? Jewish? Muslim? Wiccan? And most importantly why?
    There are common standards of morality that even non-religious people would agree on, wouldnt you say?

  6. #406
    Sage
    Winchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,482

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    There are common standards of morality that even non-religious people would agree on, wouldnt you say?
    Who one has sex with (assumption is consenting adults) isn't one of them though.

  7. #407
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,992

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Christian. Or consider natural law in itself.
    Why and how is the Christian set of morality superior to any of the others? Given that Wiccan is a nature based religion, why wouldn't that be closer to natural law over Christian?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    There are common standards of morality that even non-religious people would agree on, wouldnt you say?
    Agreed. Murder, theft and false witness seem to be among the top across the board, religiously independent morals. Sexual relations have been all over the place across the centuries and cultures. Thus there is no universal set of sexual morals. The closest we've ever come is when the Catholic Church had conquered and force a large portion of the world to their belief system before the various protestant denominations broke that strangle hold.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  8. #408
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,670

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    Who one has sex with (assumption is consenting adults) isn't one of them though.
    theres LOTS that people won't agree with but start with the basics. Morality is NOT merely a religious construct, right?

  9. #409
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    theres LOTS that people won't agree with but start with the basics. Morality is NOT merely a religious construct, right?
    Morality is subjective though. Just look at what constitutes murder for example across different cultures. We consider it murder to kill someone for an "honor killing", however, other cultures consider that morally justified and some do not consider such things to be murder. Our culture considers it justified to kill someone who is trying to break into your home, other cultures outlaw such violence. Castle doctrines do not exist everywhere, even in the US, which means that there are different views in the US as to what kinds of homicides are actually murders or justified.

    The same thing may be true for stealing as well. While most people consider it wrong to take something that isn't yours, there is easily a difference in view in what people may or do own. Someone who viewed water and land as belonging to everyone, and that no one should be able to own it, would not view taking water or utilizing land or the resources on someone "claimed" land as stealing, while many others would, including having laws against these things.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #410
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    For the sake of conversation, let's say adultery is illegal. Should we lock up adulterers?
    Apart and asside from the topic of prostitution, adultery should be a feloney when the couple has children.

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •