View Poll Results: Should prostitution be legalized?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    76 55.07%
  • No.

    21 15.22%
  • Decriminalize and heavily regulate it.

    38 27.54%
  • Other.

    3 2.17%
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 425

Thread: Prostitution

  1. #31
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,075

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Should prostitution be legalized?
    It should be legal but heavily regulated to ensure the health of the prostitute and and customer are protected and for the financial protection of the prostitute. Frequent checks for STDs, no unprotected sex by both the prostitute and customer,and frequent frequent health inspections of the place of business regardless if that business is private home, cat house or some other facility where the prostitute works.There should also be wage/pay protections to ensure that the prostitute gets to keep the majority of her pay earned from her services so that she is not taken taken advantage of by a pimp,'employment' agency, brothel, cat house or some other employer.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #32
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So what? Why wouldn't the industry face this issue when they already know it's a problem?
    Then how come health departments still find restaurants that have to be shut down. Say it with me, "The market is reactive."

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    For one, it is entirely arbitrary where you put the line, and for another, some people have a lot of sex that aren't prostitutes.

    I was pointing out the absurdity of your argument, not supporting a position.
    You seem to be the only one who doesn't understand. I can't help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #33
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I don't get it. Why can government fix problems that the people can not? Why are those men somehow able to do something no one else can? Why can they put in place testing for HIV, but for some reason those in business can not? Just ignore the fact that business did in fact put in place HIV testing before government regulation for your argument, thanks.
    Strip clubs don't have mandatory HIV testing. Do you know what happens in the "Champagne Room"?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Then how come health departments still find restaurants that have to be shut down. Say it with me, "The market is reactive."
    Because not everyone in the market will do the same thing. Do you enjoy finding the douchebag in the crowd to say all people are douchebags?

    You seem to be the only one who doesn't understand. I can't help you.
    I understand perfectly. Everyone is at risk, but you decided the amount of risk someone puts themselves in is actually a rational basis to treat people differently, and not a completely arbitrary one that you just made up.

  5. #35
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,761

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Strip clubs don't have mandatory HIV testing. Do you know what happens in the "Champagne Room"?
    Something champagne related?
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  6. #36
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Because not everyone in the market will do the same thing. Do you enjoy finding the douchebag in the crowd to say all people are douchebags?
    Do you enjoy framing my position dishonestly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I understand perfectly. Everyone is at risk, but you decided the amount of risk someone puts themselves in is actually a rational basis to treat people differently, and not a completely arbitrary one that you just made up.
    Not all risk is equal. Having hundreds of partners is a greater risk than having one or a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #37
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    Something champagne related?
    I'll just say that you get what you pay for.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Prostitution

    decriminalize and heavily regulate it and tax it like any other business and then up the punishments for those who decide to not conform to the law.

    For instance, it can only take place in a brothel (no, not anywhere else, no call girls) under supervision and that has strict hygienic and security standards under the requirements of the law.
    The employer must pay for the sex workers' health insurance.
    Clients must register under real name and validate in writing that they have no medical conditions or diseases that are transmissible. Lying should warrant quite a few years in prison. I'm thinking of things like HIV here.


    So what I mean by up the punishments? I think that these punishments fit the bill.
    So illegal prostitution, pimps should get about 20 years. prostitutes under 5 if they cooperate in ratting out the whole thing. Clients, about a year in jail.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I don't get it. Why can government fix problems that the people can not? Why are those men somehow able to do something no one else can? Why can they put in place testing for HIV, but for some reason those in business can not?
    The answer to your question is "they could, but they won't". You are asking the wrong questions.

    The better question is "Why do people act against the broader interests society when they are acting under the influence of market forces?" One of the answers to this question is very simple. Because the logical incentives sometimes engendered by market forces encourage actions which run counter to the interests of society, and many people act to further their own selfish interests over the interests of others. These people are acting in accord with perfect logic and self interest.

    Other answers are not as simple, but yield the same result. For example, some people are short sighted, while at the same time they are also selfish. They see short term gain, and can't see that in the long term they are likely be worse off. Forecasting into the longer term is complex and sometimes requires knowledge and training to assess likely outcomes.

    In some scenarios, society can act deliberately through government to overcome these deficiencies of market systems.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Imo, only on a state-by-state basis, as voted on by the general populace.
    This, in a nut shell. I don't see any need for a blanket legalization.

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •