View Poll Results: Should prostitution be legalized?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    76 55.07%
  • No.

    21 15.22%
  • Decriminalize and heavily regulate it.

    38 27.54%
  • Other.

    3 2.17%
Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 425

Thread: Prostitution

  1. #341
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Prostitutes who are of legal age aren't being exploited. They do it by choice.
    Because just because somebody does "X" by "Choice" does not mean they are not being exploited.
    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    And if a woman sleeps with a man, and he buys her dinner (a perfectly legal act), what is the difference - and how is it any more risky?
    Volume tends to be higher with commercial prostiution. An infected street prostiute can service far more customers in cast transactions than she can using another form of exchange. In short, yes, sex in exchange for food, is a form of prostitution, but enforcement of a ban in not practical.
    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I don't think loan sharking should be illegal either. If someone chooses to borrow money at 50% interest it's not my business.
    Here, we are at a fundamental impasse. I am not a libertarian. To a degree*, the State has an obligation to protect its citizens from their own decisions- even if they are voluntarily / "voluntarily" placing themselves at risk.

    If a State fails to do this- say, allows an exploitive share cropping or exploitve loan sytems to exist because the contracts are "voluntary"), the result is not a liberatian paradise. Rather, the usual result is eventual social turmoil that results in less freedom for everyone.

    * The trick is defining "to a degree" and to avoid becoming either a nanny state (Bloomberg) or a total laissez faire darwinian society ala Ayn Rand. Both are problematic in the long run and both will collapse in the long run.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 08-06-14 at 05:29 PM.

  2. #342
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Because if somebody does "X" by "Choice" does not mean they are not being exploited.

    Volume tends to be higher with commercial prostiution. An infected street prostiute can service far more customers in cast transactions than she can using another form of exchange. In short, yes, sex in exchange for food, is a form of prostitution, but enforcement of a ban in not practical.


    Here, we are at a fundamnetal impasse. I am not a libertarian. To a degree*, the State has an obligation to protect its citizens from their own decisions- even if they are voluntarily / "voluntarily" placing themselves at risk.

    If a State fails to do this (say, allows an exploitive share cropping or exploitve loan sytems to exist because the contracts are "voluntary"), the result is not a liberatian paradise, but usually social turmoil that results in less freedom for everyone.

    * The trick is defining "to a degree" and to avoid becoming either a nanny state (Bloomberg) or a laissez faire Darwinian society ala Ayn Rand. Both are problematic in the long run.
    If a woman chooses to be a prostitute, she isn't being exploited. If a man chooses to hire one, he isn't being exploited.

    A college girl can decide to sleep with half a dozen fraternity brothers in an hour. She may have an STD - one of them may have one. Should we make it illegal?

  3. #343
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    A college girl can decide to sleep with half a dozen fraternity brothers in an hour. She may have an STD - one of them may have one. Should we make it illegal?
    No- at least not in most cases. In rare cases people who have aids, know they have aids, and engage in promisocous, unprotected sex with out informing their partners can be jailed, but this is rare.

    In the end most college students dont do this and enforcement of a ban is not practical. With commercialized sex, most do, in fact do "X" and bans are able to be enforced.

    As a side note, do you really think a State has no obligation to protect its citizens from their own choices / "choices" and thus exploitive loan sharking, share cropping contracts, and other exploitive employment contracts should be legal?

    I dont think such a State would be very stable and the collapse would not be pretty.

  4. #344
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,351

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    If a woman chooses to be a prostitute, she isn't being exploited. If a man chooses to hire one, he isn't being exploited.

    A college girl can decide to sleep with half a dozen fraternity brothers in an hour. She may have an STD - one of them may have one. Should we make it illegal?
    Well, history has shown us what happened when Prohibition was put into effect - I expect the same kind of response if sex is ruled illegal! :

    Greetings, tres borrachos.

  5. #345
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Well, history has shown us what happened when Prohibition was put into effect - I expect the same kind of response if sex is ruled illegal! :

    Greetings, tres borrachos.
    Happy Hump Day, pol!

    Prohibition....ah yes!

  6. #346
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Because just because somebody does "X" by "Choice" does not mean they are not being exploited.
    It's the illegality that encourages the criminal element and exploitation. When the victim feels desperate enough to choose to take part in an underground activity then of course there will be someone there willing to take advantage of the situation, to exploit them. Would legalization completely eliminate that? Of course not. Nothing is absolute. Bringing it out in the open would severely reduce it, however.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #347
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Should prostitution be legalized?
    I find the practice disgusting, but it should be completely legal.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  8. #348
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,225

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    No- at least not in most cases. In rare cases people who have aids, know they have aids, and engage in promisocous, unprotected sex with out informing their partners can be jailed, but this is rare.

    In the end most college students dont do this and enforcement of a ban is not practical. With commercialized sex, most do, in fact do "X" and bans are able to be enforced.

    As a side note, do you really think a State has no obligation to protect its citizens from their own choices / "choices" and thus exploitive loan sharking, share cropping contracts, and other exploitive employment contracts should be legal?

    I dont think such a State would be very stable and the collapse would not be pretty.
    No, I don't think government has an obligation to protect people from their own stupid actions.

    This is a free society, not a nanny state.

  9. #349
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,351

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Happy Hump Day, pol!

    Prohibition....ah yes!
    Yep, people who had never drank before decided to see what they had been missing! :

  10. #350
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,953

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Because the State should not facilitate environments that increase social costs (actively spread STDs).

    The State should also not facilitate environments that lead to the exploitation of its citizens (even if the exploitation is "willing").
    It does not matter whether it is prostitution, usurous loans, or exploitive labor contracts that are "voluntary".

    Please note, this does not mean that I am advocating a Bloomberg nanny state.

    so you dont believe adults should be adults, and should be responsible for themselves?

    used car loans are done in the 24-27% rates daily....would you outlaw them?

    interns work summers for businesses for little or no pay....would you outlaw them?

    why does society need to "get involved" when it is no ones business but the ones agreeing to the contracts?
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •