View Poll Results: Should prostitution be legalized?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    76 55.07%
  • No.

    21 15.22%
  • Decriminalize and heavily regulate it.

    38 27.54%
  • Other.

    3 2.17%
Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 425

Thread: Prostitution

  1. #331
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    And then after they have been punished to our satisfaction turn them back out to their pimp who can turn them back to the streets.

    Frankly...I think the thought that some women LIKE sex and are OK with not only having sex but would be happy to make money at it scares the hell out of people. I know personally 2 very confident and successful professional (not THAT kind of 'professional') women that are very proud of their abilities to give fantastic blow jobs and LIKE doing it, and could probably make a monthly house and car payment on what they do willingly now after dinner and a movie. I'd like to say I can vouch for them...but...I cant. Cuz...just because some people like it doesnt mean we are all going to collapse our morals and values and succomb...to the...suckage. So to speak...
    I had a friend in the Army who said if he were a woman he'd be a prostitute... because he liked sex AND you could get paid for it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #332
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Brick walls and bread and water. Chain gangs and farm labor.
    Just the prostitutes, or their customers also?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #333
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I had a friend in the Army who said if he were a woman he'd be a prostitute... because he liked sex AND you could get paid for it.
    I'm tellin ya....its only considered dirty and slutty because guys CANT walk into any bar in the country on any given night at any given time and declare..."OK...I'm taking someone home tonight...who's it going to be?" and have women spend the night buying them drinks and applying for the temporary duty roster.

  4. #334
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Any female can have an STD today. She doesn't need to be a prostitute for that. Men should have the right to take their own precautions.
    Very true, but I have a sneaking suspiscion that prostitutes are especially prone to STDs. Likewise, men who refuse to take precautions have a social impact on the rest of society (disease spreads and is costly). Legalized prostitution would increase the STD rate and assosciated cost to society as a whole. Like in the Netherlands, it would probably increase the exploitation of women (Happy Hookers are largely mythical)

    Even if the citizens complaints are largely based on "I just dont like it" reasons, the State is not compelled to legalize it. The victims of say, Crack cocaine are also largely willing victims. Yet, society can restrict the sales of substances deemed harmful to both individuals and costly to society.

    At the end of the day, the current practice works fine:

    -Hooking is illegal
    -local municipalities, in response to local conditions, decide how stringently those laws are enforced. Enforcement can vary from fairly strict to pretty token.

  5. #335
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Just the prostitutes, or their customers also?
    Both.

  6. #336
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Very true, but I have a sneaking suspiscion that prostitutes are especially prone to STDs. Likewise, men who refuse to take precautions have a social impact on the rest of society (disease spreads and is costly). Legalized prostitution would increase the STD rate and assosciated cost to society as a whole. Like in the Netherlands, it would probably increase the exploitation of women (Happy Hookers are largely mythical)

    Even if the citizens complaints are largely based on "I just dont like it" reasons, the State is not compelled to legalize it. The victims of say, Crack cocaine are also largely willing victims. Yet, society can restrict the sales of substances deemed harmful to both individuals and costly to society.

    At the end of the day, the current practice works fine:

    -Hooking is illegal
    -local municipalities, in response to local conditions, decide how stringently those laws are enforced. Enforcement can vary from fairly strict to pretty token.
    I understand all of that already. Prostitutes don't have STDs because prostitution is illegal. Just like women don't have STDs because it isn't illegal for them to sleep with random men they meet in bars. People who care will take precautions. Men who don't take precautions are taking their own risks.

    It doesn't answer the question why it should remain illegal. Why does anyone care what a man spends his money on, and why would anyone care what a woman accepts for reimbursement for using her body for gain?

  7. #337
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I understand all of that already. Prostitutes don't have STDs because prostitution is illegal. Just like women don't have STDs because it isn't illegal for them to sleep with random men they meet in bars. People who care will take precautions. Men who don't take precautions are taking their own risks.

    It doesn't answer the question why it should remain illegal. Why does anyone care what a man spends his money on, and why would anyone care what a woman accepts for reimbursement for using her body for gain?
    Because the State should not facilitate environments that increase social costs (actively spread STDs).

    The State should also not facilitate environments that lead to the exploitation of its citizens (even if the exploitation is "willing").
    It does not matter whether it is prostitution, usurous loans, or exploitive labor contracts that are "voluntary".

    Please note, this does not mean that I am advocating a Bloomberg nanny state.

  8. #338
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Because the State should not facilitate environments that increase social costs (actively spread STDs).

    The State should also not facilitate environments that lead to the exploitation of its citizens (even if the exploitation is "willing").
    It does not matter whether it is prostitution, usurous loans, or exploitive labor contracts that are "voluntary".

    Please note, this does not mean that I am advocating a Bloomberg nanny state.
    So should the state make everything that may increase the risk of diseases illegal? Because any sex carries that risk. Should sex be outlawed?

    How are you exploited if a man in your state has sex with a prostitute?

  9. #339
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So should the state make everything that may increase the risk of diseases illegal?
    Such things are best decided case by case.
    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Should sex be outlawed?
    No, just certain sexual practices that are:
    a. especially risky (prostitution) and
    b. bans can be enforced in the practical sense
    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    How are you exploited if a man in your state has sex with a prostitute?
    I am referring to the prostitute participant.

    For that matter, I am not personally exploited by usurous loans or loan sharking either- does that mean they should also be legal? Or, can the State forbid certain loan arrangements?
    Last edited by Cryptic; 08-06-14 at 04:13 PM.

  10. #340
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Such things are best decided case by case.


    No, just certain sexual practices that are:
    a. especially risky (prostitution) and
    b. bans can be enforced in the practical sense


    I am referring to the prostitute participant.

    For that matter, I am not personally exploited by usurous loans or loan sharking either- does that mean they should also be legal? Or, can the State forbid certain loan arrangements?
    Prostitutes who are of legal age aren't being exploited. They do it by choice. And if a woman sleeps with a man, and he buys her dinner (a perfectly legal act), what is the difference - and how is it any more risky?

    I don't think loan sharking should be illegal either. If someone chooses to borrow money at 50% interest it's not my business.

    Sex is risky no matter who does it. Unless we are prepared to regulate all sex, we shouldn't be criminalizing it for women & men who choose it with payment.

Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •