View Poll Results: Should prostitution be legalized?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    76 55.07%
  • No.

    21 15.22%
  • Decriminalize and heavily regulate it.

    38 27.54%
  • Other.

    3 2.17%
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 425

Thread: Prostitution

  1. #21
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Normal people don't have sex as often as prostitutes. Prostitutes are a higher risk.
    Not so sure on this point. How many times a day does a prostitute have sex? I many times a day does the "normal" person have sex? I know some people that have sex 2-3 times a day....and I don't know all that many people. I mean logistically I don't think that a woman can have sex but a certain amount of times per day as it no doubt gets to sore down there to be able to perform without serious injury.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #22
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    People like governments only act after someone decides a problem exists.
    Prostitution is the world's oldest profession.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So it's about the amount of sex someone has? Ok. Sorry, but that is a bit stupid, imho.
    They are higher risk. It's common sense.

    What is stupid is someone that opposes regulation wants the whole population regulated since the high risk individuals are being regulated. What is stupid is that some people can't compromise.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #23
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    It's the same reason we inspect the chicken. Markets are reactive. Health and safety issues should be proactive. By the time people are sick, it could be a crisis level before the market even has a chance to adjust.



    Normal people don't have sex as often as prostitutes. Prostitutes are a higher risk.
    But, this ignores the magical ability of market forces to fix any social ill. I can't believe you don't already know this.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  4. #24
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Not so sure on this point. How many times a day does a prostitute have sex? I many times a day does the "normal" person have sex? I know some people that have sex 2-3 times a day....and I don't know all that many people. I mean logistically I don't think that a woman can have sex but a certain amount of times per day as it no doubt gets to sore down there to be able to perform without serious injury.
    They can perform oral.

    Do the people you know having sex that often have sex with 2-3 different people every day? Maybe I could be wrong about more often, but it's definitely not as risky.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  5. #25
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    But, this ignores the magical ability of market forces to fix any social ill. I can't believe you don't already know this.
    This topic certainly gives a new meaning to "trickle down theory".
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  6. #26
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Why is it illegal to sell something that is perfectly fine to give away for free?
    Free? We pay, Thor, we always pay.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Prostitution is the world's oldest profession.
    So what? Why wouldn't the industry face this issue when they already know it's a problem?

    They are higher risk. It's common sense.
    For one, it is entirely arbitrary where you put the line, and for another, some people have a lot of sex that aren't prostitutes.

    What is stupid is someone that opposes regulation wants the whole population regulated since the high risk individuals are being regulated. What is stupid is that some people can't compromise.
    I was pointing out the absurdity of your argument, not supporting a position.

  8. #28
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    BTW: voted "yes" in the poll. I might have gone for the "Decriminalize and heavily regulate it." option except that the "heavily" could be just as bad as just outright banning it.
    Could be a simple fix to the whole thing, license it like any other regulated area such as service industry(alcohol), medical, insurance, etc. then any regulations pertaining are perfectly legitimate because it's working under the contract of that license. I wouldn't have a problem with a state health board having the authority to require routine STD testing and having a theft of service charge available to anyone who would skip out. And, at that point pimps could be put out of business because there would be legal recourse to the women abused by Johns.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #29
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Free? We pay, Thor, we always pay.
    Oh, bless your heart, you aren't a musician.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    But, this ignores the magical ability of market forces to fix any social ill. I can't believe you don't already know this.
    I don't get it. Why can government fix problems that the people can not? Why are those men somehow able to do something no one else can? Why can they put in place testing for HIV, but for some reason those in business can not? Just ignore the fact that business did in fact put in place HIV testing before government regulation for your argument, thanks.

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •