View Poll Results: Should prostitution be legalized?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    76 55.07%
  • No.

    21 15.22%
  • Decriminalize and heavily regulate it.

    38 27.54%
  • Other.

    3 2.17%
Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 425

Thread: Prostitution

  1. #251
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle View Post
    My notion that I got from the State department, and others...
    Your notion is based off of a fallacy. You are using opinions that are not from experts on the subject. You literally sourced a site that lists both opinions for and against prostitution and then selected the against arguments as if that some how created an airtight rebuttal. Then you make an appeal to government statements despite that fact that governments are not infallible moral sources.

    The hyperbole and fallacy come from you.
    Nope. Not at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  2. #252
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle View Post
    I'm sorry, did you provide some sort of evidence that the State Department is lying about this?

    No?

    Yes I did. I gave you a statistic of crime rates. They directly contradict the claim made.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  3. #253
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle View Post
    No, it's a human rights violation by its very nature. You are purchasing and selling women's bodies.
    The polite thing to do when replying to my post is to quote me so that I can go see your response. Not doing so is like whispering a rebuttal and then saying "see he has no response!". Of course your sexism is also showing with this statement in that you refuse to equate prostitution with men. Why don't you dismiss men being raped (by women no less) while you're at it?

    "The redefinition of prostitution as 'commercial sex work' is just an attempt to legitimize sex trafficking. It should come as no surprise the ACLU and Planned Parenthood have signed on. While both groups are considered 'pro-woman', it is odd that they support an industry of flagrant abuse of women...

    <snip>
    Zin pretty much said all I was going to say so I'll not bother to repeat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle View Post
    As our own State Department says:

    "Where prostitution is legalized or tolerated, there is a greater demand for human trafficking victims and nearly always an increase in the number of women and children trafficked into commercial sex slavery..."
    Citation on that? Otherwise I have to guess you made up a quote. I mean if you claimed to have paraphrased something you think you remembered reading I'd give you some credit, but you went with a actual quote.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  4. #254
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    So then it's your opinion again...not based on it being legal? You keep bouncing back and forth.

    And apparently keep imagining more and more about what 'may go on.' It's a similar thing I've found in the SSM threads...all their thoughts and focus is on a sex act and not the actual people. Makes you wonder where their thoughts are when they look anywhere....sexualizing everything?

    And then that's what they 'believe' everyone else is thinking too.....no wonder they seem to see perverts and deviants everywhere!
    Is prostitution legal. No, so your what if and hyperbole hold no water.

  5. #255
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    If prostitution is decriminalized or legal....there's no difference.
    Gambling is legal in many parts of Florida, but I dont want you rolling craps on the side of my house.

  6. #256
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle View Post
    Andrea Dworkin, an author, activist, and former prostitute, stated in her Oct. 31, 1992 speech at the University of Michigan Law School:

    "I ask you to think about your own bodies--if you can do so outside the world that the pornographers have created in your minds, the flat, dead, floating mouths and vaginas and anuses of women. I ask you to think concretely about your own bodies used that way. How sexy is it? Is it fun? The people who defend prostitution and pornography want you to feel a kinky little thrill every time you think of something being stuck in a woman. I want you to feel the delicate tissues in her body that are being misused. I want you to feel what it feels like when it happens over and over and over and over and over and over and over again: because that is what prostitution is.

    "...And so, many of us are saying that prostitution is intrinsically abusive. Let me be clear. I am talking to you about prostitution per se, without more violence, without extra violence, without a woman being hit, without a woman being pushed. Prostitution in and of itself is an abuse of a woman's body. Those of us who say this are accused of being simple-minded. But prostitution is very simple. And if you are not simple-minded, you will never understand it. The more complex you manage to be, the further away from the reality you will be--the safer you will be, the happier you will be, the more fun you will have discussing the issue of prostitution. In prostitution, no woman stays whole."
    Wow one prostitute? she must represent every last one of them... oh wait...

    Not All Prostitutes Are Victims: #NotYourRescueProject

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kitty-...b_1405004.html

    I am a prostitute working in a legal brothel in Australia. AM(or my partner)A (NSFW!) : IAmA
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  7. #257
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle View Post
    Andrea Dworkin, an author, activist, and former prostitute, stated in her Oct. 31, 1992 speech at the University of Michigan Law School:

    "I ask you to think about your own bodies--if you can do so outside the world that the pornographers have created in your minds, the flat, dead, floating mouths and vaginas and anuses of women. I ask you to think concretely about your own bodies used that way. How sexy is it? Is it fun? The people who defend prostitution and pornography want you to feel a kinky little thrill every time you think of something being stuck in a woman. I want you to feel the delicate tissues in her body that are being misused. I want you to feel what it feels like when it happens over and over and over and over and over and over and over again: because that is what prostitution is.

    "...And so, many of us are saying that prostitution is intrinsically abusive. Let me be clear. I am talking to you about prostitution per se, without more violence, without extra violence, without a woman being hit, without a woman being pushed. Prostitution in and of itself is an abuse of a woman's body. Those of us who say this are accused of being simple-minded. But prostitution is very simple. And if you are not simple-minded, you will never understand it. The more complex you manage to be, the further away from the reality you will be--the safer you will be, the happier you will be, the more fun you will have discussing the issue of prostitution. In prostitution, no woman stays whole."
    Again no citation that would allow verification. Additionally this still is all her opinion. I will grant that she might well have a more personal insight on it that those who have not prostituted, but there are those who do so because they enjoy it and enjoy the money they make on the side. The bold? When one doesn't get paid then it's just being promiscuous. I don't see abuse being associated with them because of it "...happen(ing) over and over and over and over and over and over and over again..." So once again a fallacy has been brought into play by you.

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Well, it aint legal now is it.
    True, but we're not discussing now, we're discussing if it becomes legal. Mind you that is the basis of this sub line not the thread entirely. It started with the false concept that if prostitution were to be made legal that somehow there would suddenly be hookers on the corners of "good neighborhoods".
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  8. #258
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Gambling is legal in many parts of Florida, but I dont want you rolling craps on the side of my house.
    Well for it to be on the side of your house then there would be a trespassing violation and the legality of the action otherwise is irrelevant. Your parallel fails. Please try again.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  9. #259
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,178

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Meh. You are laboring under the sordid and dirty practice of the illegal sex trade of yesterday. No one is suggesting a continuation of status quo with legalization. You are warped by stigma. You cant or wont see what a legal prostitution business could be.
    Try again. I have zero stigma towards prostitution. I couldn't care less how consenting adults choose to define the nature of their relationship - money for sex or otherwise.

  10. #260
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Prostitution

    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle View Post
    My notion that I got from the State department, and others...

    The hyperbole and fallacy come from you.
    Isn't that the same government that in other threads you claim is entirely incompetent? And yet, you're going to argue with someone who says the numbers are not accurate? Perhaps I'm mistaking you for a different poster and you trust the government.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •