View Poll Results: Is it ironic that Republicans chose to sue Obama over the ACA?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 45.00%
  • No

    11 55.00%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 115

Thread: Do You Think It's Ironic that the Republicans chose to sue Obama over ACA?[W:109]

  1. #21
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Do You Think It's Ironic that the Republicans chose to sue Obama over ACA?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Sure it does

    The first link proves that the HHS Sec'y has the power to define hardship exemptions, which is exactly what was done and the 2nd shows that the HHS Sec'y has the power to determine when the reporting requirements of the employer mandate are implemented, which is exactly what was done.
    That is transparent nonsense - I won't comment on your ability to recognize or acknowledge it as such.

    In other words, you have nothing to support your assertion. Carry on and have a good day. And yes, I know, you'll claim victory now in the most unflattering of ways.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #22
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Do You Think It's Ironic that the Republicans chose to sue Obama over ACA?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Maybe they are right. Maybe they aren't. I have experienced, what seemed to be such reinforcement. But I am not a behavioral psychologist and have not kept up with the art.
    Put it this way

    If the people who support those provisions supported them because they wanted to exercise control of their urges, then delaying would be reinforcement.

    But do you really believe that the people who support those provision do so because they wanted them to be delayed? Wouldn't just not passing them be just as effective in making them wait?

    The answer is obvious, and since those people do not want to wait, having to control their urge (to see those policies implemented) is not reinforcement. It is a lack of reinforcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #23
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Do You Think It's Ironic that the Republicans chose to sue Obama over ACA?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    That is transparent nonsense - I won't comment on your ability to recognize or acknowledge it as such.

    In other words, you have nothing to support your assertion. Carry on and have a good day. And yes, I know, you'll claim victory now in the most unflattering of ways.
    IOW, you've got nothing

    In fact, you can't even prove that the mandates have been delayed.......because they haven't
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #24
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Do You Think It's Ironic that the Republicans chose to sue Obama over ACA?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I predict that the GOP's lawsuit will not help the GOP.
    Perhaps not - perhaps, however, it will assist in narrowing the apparently widely divergent opinions on what and what is not an executive power under the US Constitution. In that sense, it will assist the GOP, the Democrats, and the public at large.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Do You Think It's Ironic that the Republicans chose to sue Obama over ACA?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    From my perspective, it can go to court and it will go to court. The deadline both for the individual mandate and the employer mandate under the ACA legislation has passed and by regulation the Obama administration has delayed full implementation, contrary to the written provisions of the act. As a result, the administration has taken unilateral action to ignore the legislative will of congress without seeking congressional amendment to the act. The case is in relationship to the powers of the executive to overrule the powers of congress to legislate. Other suits have gone to court challenging executive powers, so why not this one?


    I didn't know there were other suits on this same point of law.

    I couldn't find any, but i may not be looking in the right places.

    What were the specifics and what were the rulings on these cases?
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  6. #26
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do You Think It's Ironic that the Republicans chose to sue Obama over ACA?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Perhaps not - perhaps, however, it will assist in narrowing the apparently widely divergent opinions on what and what is not an executive power under the US Constitution. In that sense, it will assist the GOP, the Democrats, and the public at large.


    Maybe so, but right now, from what I know about this, I don't believe that it will.

    I see this as a total waste of time and money which will accomplish nothing.

  7. #27
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,613

    Re: Do You Think It's Ironic that the Republicans chose to sue Obama over ACA?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    That is transparent nonsense - I won't comment on your ability to recognize or acknowledge it as such.

    In other words, you have nothing to support your assertion. Carry on and have a good day. And yes, I know, you'll claim victory now in the most unflattering of ways.
    You know what Canada, here in the USA what you have to say does not matter. You have a nice day too.
    "Being President doesn't change who you are, it reveals who you are"

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,217

    Re: Do You Think It's Ironic that the Republicans chose to sue Obama over ACA?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Put it this way

    If the people who support those provisions supported them because they wanted to exercise control of their urges, then delaying would be reinforcement.

    But do you really believe that the people who support those provision do so because they wanted them to be delayed? Wouldn't just not passing them be just as effective in making them wait?

    The answer is obvious, and since those people do not want to wait, having to control their urge (to see those policies implemented) is not reinforcement. It is a lack of reinforcement.
    That is probably right. It would not be a good enough reason to forbid such games, however, on the face of it.

  9. #29
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Do You Think It's Ironic that the Republicans chose to sue Obama over ACA?

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #30
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Do You Think It's Ironic that the Republicans chose to sue Obama over ACA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonic View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I can't help be struck by the irony that the Republican's should chose the issue of the President 'delaying' portions of the ACA as the basis for their civil law suit

    Hmm, clearly my 'add a poll' ability seems somewhat impaired. I intended to add a Yes/No question
    In today's political climate I don't see it as ironic at all. Today's politics seems less about ideology and more about grasping at whatever straws the other side doesn't have.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •