View Poll Results: should games like this be banned?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    2 4.55%
  • no

    39 88.64%
  • depends on other factors or details (explain in a post)

    1 2.27%
  • rootabega

    2 4.55%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 134

Thread: should games like this be banned?

  1. #101
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: should games like this be banned?

    -_- <----my reaction to this topic.

    I am sorry, but the answer to this poll is such an obvious no. Nobody is forcing any of these people to play these games. They just like it. Hell, you could make the argument that this political forum is addictive as well and should be banned. How many times have you spent hours just commenting here? Hell reading is addictive. I got dopamine rushes flipping through each chapter of Harry Potter. I couldn't stop! Guess we should ban reading too. Unless the book is boring. Actually, let's just ban everything people enjoy and like to spend lots of time doing because addiction.

    Stop trying to kill what other people define as fun. Fun sucker.
    Last edited by Lakryte; 08-02-14 at 08:39 PM.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  2. #102
    Student Rhiannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    σκότος και φωτός
    Last Seen
    06-23-15 @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    162

    Re: should games like this be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Responsibility is there of course, we need societal accountability to achieve ever higher levels of society and technology and choice has to as part of that societal need.

    However, its not 100% responsibility or 100% animal instinct but a mix if the two
    lol that is the point I have been trying to make all along. It appears as if we are in agreement.

  3. #103
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: should games like this be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon View Post
    lol that is the point I have been trying to make all along. It appears as if we are in agreement.
    Our difference is likely in emphasis.

  4. #104
    Student Rhiannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    σκότος και φωτός
    Last Seen
    06-23-15 @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    162

    Re: should games like this be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Our difference is likely in emphasis.
    I do tend to emphasize personal responsibility, yes. But I also acknowledge instinct as apart of the equation. However, I put faith in human potential, and I believe that people can and most often will overcome their brain stem reactions if they try.

  5. #105
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: should games like this be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon View Post
    I do tend to emphasize personal responsibility, yes. But I also acknowledge instinct as apart of the equation. However, I put faith in human potential, and I believe that people can and most often will overcome their brain stem reactions if they try.
    I seek to see the world as it is and not as I prefer it, even when that means accepting things I dislike (which there are many). People here mistake my description of reality as me advocating for what i am describing, but thats the culture of the forum, so i don't blame them.

    In terms of what I put faith in, I will say that the world has proven to me to be a pretty dark place at times, and while humanity generally moves forward, individuals may not, despite their best efforts. Because of that, I tend to put the most emphasis in what can be done today and practically instead of speculating on ideals that likely will never be achieved. This is evident in my philosophy as I focus on results and what is in my scope of control to give myself the best life possible given my cards at any given moment. Its all anyone can really do.

    Humanity encompasses both the best and worst of potential. There are children born with good and bad brains. Some can do great things and be born with a talent for using will power to overcome impulses and some will never be able to. Humanity as a whole tends to do so so, not good enough to achieve any sorts of long term project successes (societies tend to regress towards the mean over time in terms of culture) but well enough to push technology and other types of sophistication forward in order to achieve positive growth in things like health, well being, intelligence, happiness, etc. But a common factor in the things being pushed forward is that they can be externalized from the mind. Social organizational plans, science, technology, spirituality (to some extend), and other things can be documented. If it were just up to humans (if we never developed writing for example), I very much doubt we would have gotten past villages and constant tribal warfare. This is precisely, I think, because people will always be more responsive to their needs and constraints then their will (because this is what passes on the genes and those needs and constraints are just natural adaptions to our niche in nature), except for brief and inspiring moments in history (during periods of transition where pent up frustrations give birth to new ideas and philosophies)
    Last edited by tacomancer; 08-02-14 at 09:10 PM.

  6. #106
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: should games like this be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    This is what Candy Crush Saga does to your brain | Dana Smith | Science | theguardian.com

    Candy Crush is basically designed to exploit human neurochemical weaknesses.



    This is the sort of mechanism which fuels gambling addiction. As science and psychology becomes more sophisticated, more problems with how the human brain processes information will be revealed, opening the door for more ways to exploit that weakness.

    I personally view this as extremely unethical at best as it purposefully undermines free will. What is your take?
    Banning any form of game (apart from one that involves actual harming/killing of people) is unacceptable.

    In this specific case, your point about it undermining free will is basically the same argument used to make addictive drugs illegal - but not cigarettes, or alcohol, or any number of other things which are somewhat addictive (for the same reasons, in some cases).

    The key here is to educate people as to the negatives, rather than simply banning the thing so you can't see it (but someone will continue to play it, for damn sure).

    That you would seriously consider banning a game because of the given reasons is hilariously saddening. What? I like contradictory statements.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #107
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: should games like this be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Banning any form of game (apart from one that involves actual harming/killing of people) is unacceptable.

    In this specific case, your point about it undermining free will is basically the same argument used to make addictive drugs illegal - but not cigarettes, or alcohol, or any number of other things which are somewhat addictive (for the same reasons, in some cases).

    The key here is to educate people as to the negatives, rather than simply banning the thing so you can't see it (but someone will continue to play it, for damn sure).

    That you would seriously consider banning a game because of the given reasons is hilariously saddening. What? I like contradictory statements.
    My view is that the addictive drugs should have heavier regulations while the nonaddictive ones should not, except to minors.

  8. #108
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: should games like this be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    My view is that the addictive drugs should have heavier regulations while the nonaddictive ones should not, except to minors.
    Personally I think banning things is not as effective as the word implies, and that educating people about the negative effects of things is more effective.

    For example, the campaign of information about the negative effects of cigarettes appears to have reduced the number of smokers. And opened up the new "vaping" market/thing, which may or may not have it's own side-effects.

    I'm not entirely opposed to serious restrictions and limits on some "hard" drugs, those known to damage and kill people. But if someone wants something bad enough they WILL find a way to access it....outright bans appear to be ineffective.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #109
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: should games like this be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Personally I think banning things is not as effective as the word implies, and that educating people about the negative effects of things is more effective.

    For example, the campaign of information about the negative effects of cigarettes appears to have reduced the number of smokers. And opened up the new "vaping" market/thing, which may or may not have it's own side-effects.

    I'm not entirely opposed to serious restrictions and limits on some "hard" drugs, those known to damage and kill people. But if someone wants something bad enough they WILL find a way to access it....outright bans appear to be ineffective.
    A ban doesn't have to result in a total lack of use to be considered effective. Nothing is ever 100% effective. the question is whether the reduction in use was the goal when the task was sanctioned was achieved.

  10. #110
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: should games like this be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    A ban doesn't have to result in a total lack of use to be considered effective. Nothing is ever 100% effective. the question is whether the reduction in use was the goal when the task was sanctioned was achieved.
    Has there been any reduction in use with banned items?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •