View Poll Results: Would you videotape a violent crime or help

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd call 911 before I'd press record

    7 26.92%
  • I would physically help

    23 88.46%
  • I'd stay out of it for my safety

    1 3.85%
  • I'd gather a group of people and go after the bad guy

    6 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

  1. #31
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    This is ridiculous. The story reads that the bystanders were so concerned for a woman being raped--that they'd rather videotape it than help her. We are living in an age where we are replacing humanity for our cell phones!




    Teen raped on lawn at Keith Urban show, police say - CNN.com
    It's disgusting what the bystanders did. And it took a WOMAN to intervene! Wimps.

  2. #32
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Not approving of it but the evidence they collected will (hopefully) help send this creep to jail
    Maybe. But the testimony of the witnesses would suffice. And don't forget...there would have been no rape if any of the guys with the cameras had intervened. No doubt they were thinking of the money they could maybe make by distributing the tape on the internet.

  3. #33
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    Maybe. But the testimony of the witnesses would suffice. And don't forget...there would have been no rape if any of the guys with the cameras had intervened. No doubt they were thinking of the money they could maybe make by distributing the tape on the internet.
    Not necessarily. It could very well depend on the situation. We have no idea what was being said and when. Did she call out? Did she only say "stop" after she noticed the people looking? Was she saying/doing it for a while (if she said it at all, but I'm betting she was either saying something or trying to push him off since a woman did intervene), or was it just before the woman intervened, realizing that the girl wanted the guy to stop? In reality, it could have been that she didn't want it at all or that sometime while they were doing it, she said no or stop, possibly due to the crowd taking interest. That is why the video might help to clear this up.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #34
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Yeah, I can see that. Though, the biggest risk for me would probably be getting raped myself or killed. The one thing that we learned in my CPR class that I think pertains to this is if you are called to the scene of a crime is to look at the situation and make sure you don't become a victim yourself. You can't help someone if you become incapacitated.
    that's why its good to have superior firepower!



  5. #35
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Not necessarily. It could very well depend on the situation. We have no idea what was being said and when. Did she call out? Did she only say "stop" after she noticed the people looking? Was she saying/doing it for a while (if she said it at all, but I'm betting she was either saying something or trying to push him off since a woman did intervene), or was it just before the woman intervened, realizing that the girl wanted the guy to stop? In reality, it could have been that she didn't want it at all or that sometime while they were doing it, she said no or stop, possibly due to the crowd taking interest. That is why the video might help to clear this up.
    I will regard this as an attempt to be humorous. Because surely you aren't serious.

  6. #36
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    I will regard this as an attempt to be humorous. Because surely you aren't serious.
    Why? We honestly don't know what happened here, not yet anyway. It wouldn't necessarily be right to not try to stop people from having sex in public, but it certainly would also be less likely to cause an intervention if there were people who believed it was consensual and how would they know exactly.

    I don't know what is on those videos or what the witnesses are saying about this incident. It is absolutely possible that there were plenty of signs to pick up on that it might not have been consensual, if it wasn't. However, we don't know that at this moment, especially whether it started out as consensual, and then moved to non-consensual as it started to draw a crowd. This is certainly his story. So the videos will provide more evidence for whether this is the case or whether it was likely always rape.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #37
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why? We honestly don't know what happened here, not yet anyway. It wouldn't necessarily be right to not try to stop people from having sex in public, but it certainly would also be less likely to cause an intervention if there were people who believed it was consensual and how would they know exactly.

    I don't know what is on those videos or what the witnesses are saying about this incident. It is absolutely possible that there were plenty of signs to pick up on that it might not have been consensual, if it wasn't. However, we don't know that at this moment, especially whether it started out as consensual, and then moved to non-consensual as it started to draw a crowd. This is certainly his story. So the videos will provide more evidence for whether this is the case or whether it was likely always rape.
    Of course that's his story. That's always the rapist's story, when he's been caught and the evidence is conclusive. It's like the old, "The cops planted those drugs!" defense.

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    This is ridiculous. The story reads that the bystanders were so concerned for a woman being raped--that they'd rather videotape it than help her. We are living in an age where we are replacing humanity for our cell phones!




    Teen raped on lawn at Keith Urban show, police say - CNN.com


    Hell no. I'd be whuppin' somebody's ass.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #39
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    Of course that's his story. That's always the rapist's story, when he's been caught and the evidence is conclusive. It's like the old, "The cops planted those drugs!" defense.
    But that is also possible from the information we have now on the incident. There were no signs of an actual rape, and they had been kissing prior "going to the lawn". They were 17 and 18 years old, drinking/drunk, and there were no obvious signs (according to witnesses) that this was rape or of a struggle. Even the woman who stopped it didn't actually tackle the guy first, only moved him to actually ask the girl if it was consensual, and she either a) said no or b) ran away and later said no (story's a bit shaky on this, as usual).

    Fans Record Man Allegedly Raping 17-Year-Old at Keith Urban Concert Instead of Stopping the Attack (Video) | Americans Against the Tea Party

    It is wrong to automatically assume that he is lying about whether it was consensual or not. We simply don't know which one is lying. The videos, photos, and witness accounts may help to provide a better picture, but not necessarily.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    Of course that's his story. That's always the rapist's story, when he's been caught and the evidence is conclusive. It's like the old, "The cops planted those drugs!" defense.
    I think what Roguenuke is saying is that we don't have the evidence so we cannot say that it is or isn't conclusive. We all do it from time to time, but when there are obviously eye witnesses, video and who knows what other evidence, to discard all that and come to a conclusion simply based on because she said so is not right.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •