View Poll Results: Would you videotape a violent crime or help

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd call 911 before I'd press record

    7 26.92%
  • I would physically help

    23 88.46%
  • I'd stay out of it for my safety

    1 3.85%
  • I'd gather a group of people and go after the bad guy

    6 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

  1. #21
    Professor
    herenow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    12-11-15 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    There's also the possibility that some people thought it was consensual and kept it moving. However maybe that's just my way of wanting to believe that over the other.

  2. #22
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    This is ridiculous. The story reads that the bystanders were so concerned for a woman being raped--that they'd rather videotape it than help her. We are living in an age where we are replacing humanity for our cell phones!




    Teen raped on lawn at Keith Urban show, police say - CNN.com
    I butt in, and have many times, not for rape, but for domestic violence, street fight, a group of kids that beat a neighbor boy with a baseball bat, neighbor's vehicle being broken into, etc. I just can't help myself. My daughter was with me when I saw a fight just outside the food court at the mall, and she even reached out, tried to grab, and sternly said, "NO!", and yet I did. And I was lucky and didn't get hit that time, but broke it up.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  3. #23
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,705

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I'd give him a verbal warning and a kick....then a bullet.

    Yo dawg I heard u like penitrating people.....


    ...so I got a gun so I could penetrate you while you penetrate someone!

    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  4. #24
    Professor
    herenow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    12-11-15 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I butt in, and have many times, not for rape, but for domestic violence, street fight, a group of kids that beat a neighbor boy with a baseball bat, neighbor's vehicle being broken into, etc. I just can't help myself. My daughter was with me when I saw a fight just outside the food court at the mall, and she even reached out, tried to grab, and sternly said, "NO!", and yet I did. And I was lucky and didn't get hit that time, but broke it up.
    When I was in my early twenties--I was at my friends house and her husband went off and smacked her in the head right in front of me. I was shocked, but moreso embarrassed for her. She ended up staying with me a few weeks later after he pushed her down the stairs. Thankfully she divorced him after that. I didn't do anything bc it happened so fast, but if he kept wailing on her I would have stepped in.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Depends on the crime (and assuming I am unarmed).

    If a gang is raping a lone woman, I would call 9-11 and then try and distract them. There is no point in trying to stop them by force, unarmed, by myself. And if I could not stop them with distraction, then I would probably film it so they could be brought to justice if the police did not arrive in time.

    If it was an individual, I would try and distract him/her while calling 9-11. If that failed to stop them, then I would intervene.

    It's all well and good to go charging (unarmed) into an unknown situation...but assuming the attacker is unarmed or alone could get you killed for nothing. Especially if the police have no knowledge of the situation.

    I say call the cops first (obviously keeping it as brief as possible) and then do what you can to stop the attack.

    As for filming...not unless there was nothing else I could do.

    All if the above is assuming I do not know either the attacker(s) or especially the victim.

  6. #26
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    When I was in my early twenties--I was at my friends house and her husband went off and smacked her in the head right in front of me. I was shocked, but moreso embarrassed for her. She ended up staying with me a few weeks later after he pushed her down the stairs. Thankfully she divorced him after that. I didn't do anything bc it happened so fast, but if he kept wailing on her I would have stepped in.
    If it was just the one as you say, I would've so verbally slapped him down, then would assure him that in addition to giving her a place to stay, if he ever touched her like that again, I'd go straight to the cops with both incidents. BTW, if she smacked him, I'd do the same. I don't see gender as allowing one type of domestic violence and not the reverse of it. When I say I butt in, I don't mean I enter the fray. I've never had to physically accost anyone to get violence in front of me to stop.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  7. #27
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    This is ridiculous. The story reads that the bystanders were so concerned for a woman being raped--that they'd rather videotape it than help her. We are living in an age where we are replacing humanity for our cell phones!




    Teen raped on lawn at Keith Urban show, police say - CNN.com
    I wouldn't video tape it, but I would be more than happy to hand out a beat down to the perpetrator.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  8. #28
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,943

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    This is ridiculous. The story reads that the bystanders were so concerned for a woman being raped--that they'd rather videotape it than help her. We are living in an age where we are replacing humanity for our cell phones!

    Teen raped on lawn at Keith Urban show, police say - CNN.com
    Under the conditions in the story I would indeed (assuming that I wasn't as drunk as to not think straight...Doubt that I would be) physically jump in there to stop it. However, other circumstances might make me alter my decision, depending upon my safety, ability to get to the woman, ability to reach 911, and many others factors.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  9. #29
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    There's also the possibility that some people thought it was consensual and kept it moving. However maybe that's just my way of wanting to believe that over the other.
    Actually, I was going to say something to this effect.

    I honestly think it would depend on the situation, but there are certainly people who simply don't know what they should do, so they do nothing. And in this case, it is very possible that many thought that it was consensual and they were getting a show. I doubt most of those (if any really) thought they were really videotaping or taking pics of what could be a rape. The recordings might actually help to clear this up.

    Now, I'm not saying that someone should have to call out for it to be rape, but this is one of those times when there should be enough evidence to find out if it is rape or not. Even that might depend though. The guy is claiming it was consensual, but that is going to be hard to defend if any of that evidence shows that she was saying no or stop at any time, which is very likely if she noticed the crowd filming them.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Would you videotape a violent crime such as rape for evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    It wholly depends on the scenario. If the guy is much bigger than me or has a group of people around protecting him then I'm not going to get involved physically; my safety does come first. However, if I had a gun I would for sure intervene. If I didn't I would call 911. Maybe I would look around for other people to help if there, or maybe I would videotape some part of it so the bastard would get what he deserved. It all depends on the situation.
    This is probably one of the more honest posts on here. One of the few that seems like a genuine response and not just a "i'd kick his ass" posts. .
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •