View Poll Results: Mutliple Choice - Check all statement you see as true:

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • A white person should not teach minority children.

    2 2.86%
  • A person of a minority race cannot teach white children.

    2 2.86%
  • Race is not a factor on a person's competency to teach anything.

    41 58.57%
  • Making the race of a teacher an issue is in itself racist.

    22 31.43%
  • I have a completely different perspective and will explain.

    3 4.29%
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 243

Thread: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

  1. #121
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Why is it a different debate?
    If the school is private, it is up to the parents.
    From what I gather, this will be a public school.

  2. #122
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Go to Chicago and Detroit in the black neighborhoods, or any other black neighborhood, and I bet you get the same thing.
    I can go there, and I can leave. Even if those cities were controlled by black power (they're not), I could escape the racial bigotry.

    Black people cannot escape racial bigotry. White people can. See the difference?

  3. #123
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,407

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    From what I gather, this will be a public school.
    Then it is government. The parents aren't paying.

  4. #124
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I know what systemic means, I just don't believe it. There are many places a black man can get away from your racist boogie men, so your argument doesn't hold water.
    No matter where a black person goes, they will suffer injustice/privilege in regard to housing, employment and the justice system. There is no escape.

    Blacks must deal with injustice every day of their lives and in every aspect of their lives.

    Denying the existence of racism in the US is nonsense.

  5. #125
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Then it is government. The parents aren't paying.
    Yes, the parents pay via local property taxes.

  6. #126
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    He wouldn't be inherently better academically, assuming in your hypothetical he has a degree in African studies like your hypothetical white man, but as man who is black he is going added benefit of being apart of the race and experiencing what it is like to that race and assumingly be raised at least partially in the culture, his father wasn't completely absent from his life - and therefore have the added benefit of relatability with not only his students, who typically are going to be African, but also relatable to the course.

    Same with any other study. A white man can absolutely teach Asian studies. Sure why not? But it's intellectually dishonest to say with a straight face that an Asian professor doesn't have the added benefit of actually being Asian when teaching Asian studies.

    And a Kenyan can teach European studies - our human history, our cultures and all anthropological studies are quantified in text books. So an African can explain the culture of Europe. Can dive into it's many idiosyncrasies. But again it's dishonest to claim that and African will have to same relatbitbilty and expertise on European studies than an actual European who was raised in the European culture, who is European their self.
    The fact is that an Asian may or may not know the subject matter of what he is supposed to teach. A black man, an east Indian, an Arab, a Hispanic who did know the subject matter would be a far superior teacher of Asian studies than an Asian who didn't know his stuff. A black man who spent most of his life in a gang dominated, rat infested tenement culture and who has a huge chip on his shoulder because he is convinced he didn't get any breaks because he was black and who thinks THAT is the black experience might be a far worse candidate to teach cultural studies to black kids than would be the black man (or anybody else) who experienced none of that growing up but who does understand how a black man does not have to use his blackness as any kind of crutch but can succeed in life in ways to meet all his hopes or expectations. As would be a white man who understands the culture in the same way.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #127
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Why is it a different debate?
    If the school is private, it is up to the parents.
    It is a different debate because it is a different subject. This subject is whether a white man can be as competent to teach cultural studies as a black man.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  8. #128
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    The fact is that an Asian may or may not know the subject matter of what he is supposed to teach.
    Your rebuttal fails with your first sentence. I never at any point suggested that simply being the race qualifies anyone to teach any subject. They would first need the degree. With that degree in the study of their race they have the added experience of being that race of being raised within the idiosyncrasies, culture, and community that is apart of that study.

    And then the rest of your post comes off as a hyperbolic rant that cuts both ways. A white man who harbors white supremacist ideologies would be just as incompetent as a black professor with a chip on his shoulder.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  9. #129
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Your rebuttal fails with your first sentence. I never at any point suggested that simply being the race qualifies anyone to teach any subject. They would first need the degree. With that degree in the study of their race they have the added experience of being that race of being raised within the idiosyncrasies, culture, and community that is apart of that study.

    And then the rest of your post comes off as a hyperbolic rant that cuts both ways. A white man who harbors white supremacist ideologies would be just as incompetent as a black professor with a chip on his shoulder.
    I think you should re-read my post again as you have drawn some really illogical and flawed conclusions about what I said and what I intended to say and what I didn't say.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  10. #130
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I think you should re-read my post again as you have drawn some really illogical and flawed conclusions about what I said and what I intended to say and what I didn't say.
    If your contention stems from these first two lines -

    "The fact is that an Asian may or may not know the subject matter of what he is supposed to teach. A black man, an east Indian, an Arab, a Hispanic who did know the subject matter would be a far superior teacher of Asian studies than an Asian who didn't know his stuff. "

    Then you misunderstood me first. There is no reason why an Asian who has attained a degree in Asian studies and who was also raised in Asian culture, is Asian, and is the product of an Asian family who themselves are inundated in Asian culture wouldn't not only know the subject of the course but also have the extra knowledge inherent in being raised within the culture which is the subject of the study. It's a logical conclusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •