View Poll Results: Mutliple Choice - Check all statement you see as true:

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • A white person should not teach minority children.

    2 2.86%
  • A person of a minority race cannot teach white children.

    2 2.86%
  • Race is not a factor on a person's competency to teach anything.

    41 58.57%
  • Making the race of a teacher an issue is in itself racist.

    22 31.43%
  • I have a completely different perspective and will explain.

    3 4.29%
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 243

Thread: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

  1. #101
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    There's no way I have the time or the inclination to respond to the OP other than to say, yes, certainly a white person can teach African-American culture, but their teaching would be limited. If anyone were to take a class in African-American culture why the hell would they not want to take the class from an African-American teacher?

    Cultural history and cultural studies are important, especially to members of minority cultures. I can't think of a good reason why I'd want a person not of the specific culture teaching a course in a specific culture.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  2. #102
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    That's not an easy estimate. In my neighborhood in central Florida (poor), perhaps 10%. But if I go outside of the university town, to a surrounding (country boy) town, that number goes up drastically.

    I suppose it depends on ones definition of a "genuine" racist. I would consider someone that thinks blacks are generally lazy, unethical, etc to be racist, even though they don't sport swastikas. I know people that have black friends, but they will say things like "I only get ripped off by black people". Obviously, that's not true; it's just an ingrained belief that blacks are less trustworthy than whites. Of course, they consider their black friends to be "exceptions", and they would never say to their black friends what they say to me. I would also consider a belief that blacks are generally less intelligent than whites to be racist, even if the person is not a neo-nazi. Then there's those who think "white culture" is superior, or that "white solidarity" is not racist.

    I think if you show me 10 white people, I'll show you 2 that have racially bigoted beliefs. If we do this exercise in a small town in central FL, I'll show you 5 or more.

    I figure you have a higher standard for "genuine racist" than I.
    Go to Chicago and Detroit in the black neighborhoods, or any other black neighborhood, and I bet you get the same thing. Or go to one of the various Asian neighborhoods. Or the Hispanic neighborhoods and they all say the same things as the "whites" do about other races and whites. Guess what, they aint any more racist than anyone else in this country of any color or persuasion. What you call bigoted I call ignorant, or more likely lazy. The proof is their ability to get along with others not like them. Fact is this country is not racist, not by a long shot, and definitely when compared to the rest of the world not even close to racist.


    No, just had the misfortune of meeting actual racists, bigoted SOB's no mistaking them for what they really were. They called themselves Kuwaitis, and Saudis ect. The US version of racist and the worlds are two completely different things.
    Last edited by PirateMk1; 08-02-14 at 03:39 AM.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  3. #103
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,350

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    So here we are. Who agrees that a white man cannot teach cultural studies? And can a black man teach Latino and SoutheastAsian studies if a white man cannot teach black studies? Or has the world gone absolutely nuts?

    Black community leaders in Fresno, Calif., are urging the Fresno Unified School District to re-evaluate the hiring of a white guy to
    teach three cultural studies courses at a brand-new middleschool that will overwhelmingly serve minority students.

    Rutherford B. Gaston Middle School — named after the city’s first blackprincipal — will open in a few short weeks. It’s the first middle school in the immediate, poverty-ridden vicinity since 1979.

    The protesters are unhappy because the school has chosen to hire Peter Beck, aperson with white skin, over other, unidentified candidates, The Fresno Bee reports.

    Beck will teach African-American studies, Latino studies and Southeast Asian studies. . . .

    . . .“We’re just saying what the community wants,” said Rev. Karen Crozier, oneof the activists. “We didn’t fight for a white male or female teacher to educate our babies.”

    Crozier, who appears to be a professor at Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary, also suggested that a white person cannot teach minority children in this instance because of racism. . . .

    http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/29/black-leaders-in-fresno-oppose-white-cultural-studies-teacher/
    If the parents are paying tuition, they can choose their teachers, even for stupid reasons.

  4. #104
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I don't know the "institutionalized racism" argument, but I'll attempt to shed some light.
    Link
    Link
    Link

    Yeah...you do know what it is. You use it all the time. I can find many more posts just like those. In fact I was thinking of you specifically when I wrote that particular phrase.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Minorities cannot be racist against the majority because there are not societal impacts of their racial bigotry regarding systemic injustice/privilege at the social scale in question (national or global). As racism is a social construct, it can only be defined by social factors.

    Now, regarding your incorrect context. You see, the white person can move and no longer be the subject of racial bigotry. A black person cannot move away from racial bigotry present throughout society. Since a white person can move to escape, and a black person cannot, these are not the same situations. Thus, the context to be examined in determining systemic injustice/privilege is that of national or global.


    .02
    From the article:

    Black community leaders in Fresno, Calif., are urging the Fresno Unified School District to re-evaluate the hiring of a white guy to teach three cultural studies courses at a brand-new middle school that will overwhelmingly serve minority students.
    Looks to me like blacks will be the majority in that particular society.

    Also:

    The largest Fresno racial/ethnic groups are Hispanic (46.9%) followed by White (28.4%) and Asian (13.3%).
    Link

    Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]-fresno-jpg

    PDF Link

    Looks to me as if in the Fresno society whites are in the minority.

    Let me guess. You'll disregard all this because Fresno isn't the whole of society in the whole of the US? Well, at least you'd be right that it isn't the whole of society of the whole US. But you would also be disregarding the one thing that makes the US so unique. Every single town and state of the US has its own different society. Separate from the rest. New York, society wise, is a heck of a lot different from from Dallas. Dallas, society wise, is a heck of a lot different than San Diego. Detroit, society wise, is a heck of a lot different from Bonners Ferry ID. Heck, Bonners Ferry ID is a heck of a lot different from Sandpoint ID...a town not 30 miles from Bonners Ferry. And so on and so forth.

    You can try and twist and turn and spin all you want. Plain fact of the matter is that in Fresno, Black Leaders are attempting to oust a white man from teaching at their school by pressuring the school board. Not because of his credentials or teaching history or some stupid crap he might have posted on FB. But because he is white. And that is racism pure and simple.

    And thank you for once again showing that no matter what, there will always be those that will deny the racism that exists in the minority races no matter the evidence put before them. It is sad that racism exists among all the races of man but it is really sad that people with your ideology keeps Racism alive. Congratulations on being a part of that problem.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #105
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    It is sad that racism exists among all the races of man but it is really sad that people with your ideology keeps Racism alive. Congratulations on being a part of that problem.
    With all due respect, I think the people keeping racism alive are the ones who deny its existence.

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Racism by whites toward others in this country is nonexistent by most any degree of measure.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,274

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    I saw the video of this woman and her supporters in LiveLeak yesterday. She was blatantly racist and I couldn't believe that she may actually get her way on this. They demanded special courses, which they were given, and now they demand that only certain races are qualified to teach them? As if white people are not qualified to teach?

    Reverse the names of the races and see what would happen.
    This looks like it will be a hoot of a movie:


  7. #107
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    This looks like it will be a hoot of a movie:

    A venerable barrel of laughs to be sure. Where the colors reversed, it would be showing 24/7/365 at every White Power and KKK meeting around the country. How ****ing sad.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #108
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I don't know the "institutionalized racism" argument, but I'll attempt to shed some light.

    Minorities cannot be racist against the majority because there are not societal impacts of their racial bigotry regarding systemic injustice/privilege at the social scale in question (national or global). As racism is a social construct, it can only be defined by social factors.

    Now, regarding your incorrect context. You see, the white person can move and no longer be the subject of racial bigotry. A black person cannot move away from racial bigotry present throughout society. Since a white person can move to escape, and a black person cannot, these are not the same situations. Thus, the context to be examined in determining systemic injustice/privilege is that of national or global.


    .02
    So you are saying there is racism against black everywhere in the country.

    Did I get that right?

  9. #109
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Any view of an individual or group that is primarily concerned with the color of their skin is racist on its face. It doesn't matter if the people involved are black, white, yellow or blue, it's still racist.

    And your poll isn't multiple choice, I thought you should know.
    Is Smurf a recognized race?

  10. #110
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: Whites Need Not Apply?[W:68]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    I guess technically it shouldn't matter, but at the same time I can't help but admit that I would find it strange if an Irish teacher was teaching African Studies. A Chinese teacher teaching European cultural studies. And a African teaching Asian cultural studies, it just seems off.

    What comes inherent with a teacher who identifies with the race that the course focuses on is genuine experience of being that race. The knowledge will not be purely text based if an African is teaching African studies.
    How would you feel about Obama teaching African-American studies?

    He grew up in Hawaii where whites are the minority.

    Would he be qualified just because he has darker skin that a white man?

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •