View Poll Results: Do those on the far right lack empathy?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 27.37%
  • No

    69 72.63%
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 285

Thread: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

  1. #31
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,876

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    I think some people confuse wingers of every persuasion with the mentality of the average U.S citizen. Most Americans are compassionate people who go out of their way to help those in need. But rarely are they reported on, for some extremists make for much better headlines.
    I would go as far to say that those who seek factual debate and are interested in solutions, rather than arguments, are ignored just the same. So we have to wonder if the few who are indifferent to the plight of those down on their luck are just convenient scapegoats.

  2. #32
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,168

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Not really. Within the conservative branch, there are three broad types, if we want to keep it brief.

    Those who really do lack empathy. Just terrible people who happen to be conservative. When a terrible person is conservative, it tends to take on certain forms, but fundamentally it's just because they're terrible people. They'd still be terrible people if they were liberal.

    Those who don't really understand some of the systemic challenges involved, probably because they've never had experience with it -- or at least not in our modern climate. Ignorance is only so much of a character flaw as one's willingness or unwillingness to correct it, to my mind. So if they are willing to, and if you can get the conversation to the point of talking about these things, you can find points of commonality, which leads me to...

    Those who just might have a different idea than me of how we solve it. Within that, there are those I think are dramatically mistaken, and those I can actually find at least 50% agreement. I have actually had some very good conversations with fiscal conservatives about the drivers of perpetual poverty which added dimension to my own stances.

    I won't wager at the percentages of these because I don't have any idea if my own experiences are demographically accurate, since my main pool in RL lacks dual fiscal and social conservatives, and DP is a poor representation of society as a whole.

  3. #33
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    A complete inability to relate to those who are less fortunate.
    Before I answer, can you expand on what YOU mean by "less fortunate"?

    Do you mean "less fortunate" in that someone got dealt a crappy hand, and their situation is only temporary?

    Do you mean "less fortunate" in that someone got dealt a crappy genetic hand, and is incapable of improving their own life?

    Do you mean "less fortunate" as a buzzword to mean anyone and everyone who is poor, regardless of reason?

    "Less fortunate" is pretty vague.
    Last edited by radcen; 07-31-14 at 01:15 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #34
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    First of all don't know how to answer because this post and the poll don't mean the same thing. So I'll answer your statement of "A complete inability to relate to those who are less fortunate".

    The answer is no, they don't lack the inability. The simple fact is that there are HUGE abuses to the social safety net systems. Welfare needs to be completely overhauled and then have true oversight. Welfare is not meant to be used for "Well I don't feel like working so I won't". It was meant as a temporary thing to help lift people up from the short term troubles they faced.

    Now the system isn't perfect because as it is now, once you get on it it is hard to get off the system literally. When you do manage to find a job, they cut you off right away instead of giving you a reasonable grace period from the time you get the job to when you get your first paycheck. That is just one of the issues.

    Many on the right have an issues with 2-3 generational families living off welfare completely, illegal immigrants sucking off the healthcare system as well as welfare. These are legitimate concerns.
    That is a serious shortcoming of the system. I'm actually surprised that Dems haven't tried to address that.

    Of course, if they did, they'd bu accused of giving freeloaders even more of a free ride.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    I think some people confuse wingers of every persuasion with the mentality of the average U.S citizen. Most Americans are compassionate people who go out of their way to help those in need. But rarely are they reported on, for some extremists make for much better headlines.
    I would go as far to say that those who seek factual debate and are interested in solutions, rather than arguments, are ignored just the same. So we have to wonder if the few who are indifferent to the plight of those down on their luck are just convenient scapegoats.
    *-wingers tend to be under the illusion that they're somehow mainstream and middle-of-the-road.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #35
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Is it not possible that "tough love", while probably producing more short-term pain, is actually the better solution?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    A complete inability to relate to those who are less fortunate.
    I absolutely disagree. Conservatives as a whole absolutely do have empathy...

    ...but the issue's deeper than a simple question.

    The smaller issue is that those who lack empathy - as Ayn Rand certainly did - are significantly more likely to be conservative. The bigger issue by far is that conservatives are being taught and pressured by their own to believe that empathy for the less fortunate is a bad thing, that helping the poor get a leg up in life is actually hurting the poor, teaching the poor to be lazy.

    The same thing could be seen in any dictatorship: people are the same all over the world, but when the people of a nation are being told a thing and do not for whatever reason get the other side of the story, they're more likely to believe that thing. America's conservatives have been taught to believe that liberals and the poor want to destroy America, to destroy the American way of life...and any conservative who happens to agree with any liberal point of view is seen as a traitor, a turncoat.

    So while conservatives certainly do have empathy for the less fortunate, most of them are afraid of showing that empathy (or of showing agreement with any liberal point of view) for fear of being seen by their fellow conservatives as traitors, as RINO's or CINO's. I'm not trying to make any comparisons to Nazism, but Goering hit the nail on the head in his famous quote:

    "Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."

    How many times have we heard the conservative politicians and pundits claim that America is under attack from liberals? How many times have we seen the conservative elite reject any conservative politician for even considering a negotiated compromise on major issues facing America?

    It's not a matter of conservatives lacking empathy. It's a matter of conservatives being pressured to believe that which is not true.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  7. #37
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Nah, I don't think most lack empathy. I do think the biggest difference between the two camps of people (right/left) is the ability to look beyond one set of circumstances. One group tends to have a myopic viewpoint about the world and has a one size fits all standard while the other camp is more open minded and realize circumstances vary greatly.

  8. #38
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    It seems to be more of a fear thing than an empathy thing. Ideas that fall into the liberal camp tend to be informed by hope for how the future can be better. Ideas in the conservative camp tend to be informed by fear for how the future can be worse. I don't think either is embraced by people based on how much empathy they have, but it's awfully hard to empathize with someone that you're afraid of.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  9. #39
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    A complete inability to relate to those who are less fortunate.


    Evidence suggests no. Conservatives give more to charity than liberals.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #40
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Evidence suggests no. Conservatives give more to charity than liberals.
    Liberals think they get to claim charitible intent when they promote policies under which government takes by force from some to give to others. Conservatives think it only counts as charitable when you willingly give what is legitimately yours to give.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •