View Poll Results: Do those on the far right lack empathy?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 27.37%
  • No

    69 72.63%
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 285

Thread: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Down in the holler
    Last Seen
    03-17-15 @ 08:44 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,212

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It would be a good idea no doubt. Almost all war only occurs because the state has the power to send off their men and now their women to die for the states causes. Remove that power and you eliminate a great deal of suffering and death.
    War is the health of the state.

  2. #222
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    War is the health of the state.
    How the heck are you going to fund it without taxes?

  3. #223
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    I didn't bother to read this thread, but I suspect that many are drawn to the conservative point of view because it is macho.

    It simply feels strong and manly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #224
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Hey, I don't entirely disagree with you, but isn't it a little bit too late? In reality we have caused a lot of wars and made a lot of enemies so now if we took our military away, wouldn't we be sitting ducks?
    There is also the fact that once you make allies you will naturally make enemies. It's folly to believe you can create allegiances and not make enemies of those parties your allies are at odds with. Interventionism might be a great way for the state to spread it's influence if you are into that kind of thing(not saying you are), but it's also a great way to increase tensions and cause more death. For some reason of all the actions the state makes people think making allies is a way to make the world a peaceful place, and in reality, the state uses it as a way to get more firepower against their enemies. Look at Iraq and what happened there and you will see that my argument has a good amount of merit. How many countries joined us in our act of aggression against Iraq?

    The first thing we need to do is step away from the world stage and eliminate the draft, but conservatives won't have it, and liberals are too scared to really consider it as a choice, but if that ever happens we are a step closer to the goal of eliminating the military complex. Stepping away from the world stage will allow tensions to cool off, while eliminating the draft will cut off the life line of the military complex if voluntary agreement to sign up lags behind the states need. The next thing we need to do is start cutting back the military complex in both funding and amount of personal and supplies. You will never eliminate the danger of militaries from around the world, but in my opinion at least we don't need to have one of them of our own.

  5. #225
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    There is also the fact that once you make allies you will naturally make enemies. It's folly to believe you can create allegiances and not make enemies of those parties your allies are at odds with. Interventionism might be a great way for the state to spread it's influence if you are into that kind of thing(not saying you are), but it's also a great way to increase tensions and cause more death. For some reason of all the actions the state makes people think making allies is a way to make the world a peaceful place, and in reality, the state uses it as a way to get more firepower against their enemies. Look at Iraq and what happened there and you will see that my argument has a good amount of merit. How many countries joined us in our act of aggression against Iraq?

    The first thing we need to do is step away from the world stage and eliminate the draft, but conservatives won't have it, and liberals are too scared to really consider it as a choice, but if that ever happens we are a step closer to the goal of eliminating the military complex. Stepping away from the world stage will allow tensions to cool off, while eliminating the draft will cut off the life line of the military complex if voluntary agreement to sign up lags behind the states need. The next thing we need to do is start cutting back the military complex in both funding and amount of personal and supplies. You will never eliminate the danger of militaries from around the world, but in my opinion at least we don't need to have one of them of our own.
    I understand what you are saying here, however, the reality is private corporations make a lot of their wealth by invading countries and privatizing their resources specifically for their ownership. The state is their means. They give money to elect our officials yada yada......this is a problem. How do we change it?

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    As long as compulsory taxation lasts--in other words giving power to some men to use other men against their beliefs and their interests--liberty will be but a mocking phrase. Between liberty and compulsory taxation there is no possible reconciliation. - Auberon Herbert
    A better quote by Herbert on the matter of compulsory taxation:

    "There can be no true condition of rest in society, there can be no perfect friendliness amongst men who differ in opinions, as long as either you or I can use our neighbor and his resources for the furtherance of our ideas and against his own. The present power to levy taxes compulsorily seems to me the inner keep, the citadel of the whole question of liberty; and until that stronghold is leveled to the ground, I do not think that men will ever clearly realize that to compel any human being to act against his own convictions is essentially a violation of the moral order, a cause of human unrest, and a grievous misdirection of human effort. Of the immediate ill effects, of the waste, of the extravagance, of the jobbery, that are all born of the compulsory taking of taxes, I will not speak here. The first and greatest question is whether to help oneself to one’s neighbor’s property by force is or is not morally right."

  7. #227
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Down in the holler
    Last Seen
    03-17-15 @ 08:44 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,212

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    How the heck are you going to fund it without taxes?
    I don't think you can, which is a very good reason to oppose continual war.

  8. #228
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    I don't think you can, which is a very good reason to oppose continual war.
    I can agree we shouldn't be in a perpetual state of war, however, at this point we need the military for protection. We have made a lot of enemies.

  9. #229
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Down in the holler
    Last Seen
    03-17-15 @ 08:44 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,212

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    I can agree we shouldn't be in a perpetual state of war, however, at this point we need the military for protection. We have made a lot of enemies.
    And if they attack us, we should defend ourselves against them. Unless and until that happens, there's no need for endless war.

  10. #230
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    And if they attack us, we should defend ourselves against them. Unless and until that happens, there's no need for endless war.
    Right, however we still need a standing army for protection.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •