View Poll Results: Do those on the far right lack empathy?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 27.37%
  • No

    69 72.63%
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 285

Thread: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

  1. #121
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    A complete inability to relate to those who are less fortunate.

    irrelevant to libertarian principles.

  2. #122
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I responded to the content of YOUR post, that's why I quoted it.

    I don't "applaud while millions suffer" nor do I believe anyone who isn't at least channeling a leftist believes it would be at "the greedy hands of a few" anyway. Nor do I have a fortune to protect. And even more hilarious, up until this moment I don't think I've ever even posted the word "totalitarian".

    Sorry, you missed your target by several miles.

    Yogi Berra? Is that you?

    I responded to the content of YOUR post, that's why I quoted it.

    The same lame caricaturization and broad generalization which you've bestowed upon me can handily be turned back at ya, and as is shown you don't like it too much neither.

    and while you're between giggles, you might want to take a gander:

    Synonym - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    because you haven't used a word, doesn't mean you haven't conveyed its meaning.

    The same can be said about you, as well.



    With all that being said -- Just because someone shares an opinion with a particular group on a particular subject doesn't translate into that person adhering to their ideology nor does it translate to them being identified as a proponent and promoter of said ideology. In short, you did me a grave injustice which you know from other correspondence with me, was dishonest. (if you'd kindly remember many, many of my posts.)


    The ridiculous paradigm which has been created in which the polar opposite of exploitative, destructive economic practices automatically translates a person into a Leftist, a Marxist, a....whatever only serves to divide people, to demonize common sense, to keep yourself purposefully blind to the causes of the economic catastrophes which adversely effect all of us.

    Supply side economics, i.e. Reaganomics, laissez faire economics which isn't just a synonym for free markets, (despite what many think) is just as much a destructive force as Marx-Leninism. Just as much a hand around the throat of the people. It puts the economic prosperity of the many into the hands of the few.

    It does, it does, god damn it, it does. To say otherwise is to show an ignorance of economics.

  3. #123
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,942

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    So that's what you got from my post? Saying that conservatives want to abolish all safety nets? I'm not sure where I said that...maybe you could point that part out to me.


    I think it's interesting that you'll have overnight shifts in views when something changes though. Someone will think gays should never be married and once their son comes out gay...they do a 180. Someone will state that anyone that takes unemployment insurance is a moocher but the minute they need it the program is a life saver and is one of the "good" safety nets.


    yeah....kinda reads that way to me
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  4. #124
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    From Merriam Webster:

    em·pa·thy noun \ˈem-pə-thē\

    : the feeling that you understand and share another person's experiences and emotions : the ability to share someone else's feelings


    If someone chooses not to buy insurance, that is his choice. Empathy means you understand his choice. So in the example of the man who didn't buy insurance, respecting his freedom of choice is actually the very definition of empathy.
    Sure, before he gets sick.. After he gets sick it could be looked at entirely different.

    Empathy : the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this

    When the guy realizes he's going to die, I would be empathetic with him and more than likely sympathetic. This is why I agree with the individual mandate in health insurance, because I do think that sometimes personal freedom should take a back seat to personal well being. If the government has to protect this person from themselves then so be it.

    You basically cherry picked that one.
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

  5. #125
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    irrelevant to libertarian principles.
    Right. The true libertarian has no empathy.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #126
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    A complete inability to relate to those who are less fortunate.
    Before I answer, can you expand on what YOU mean by "less fortunate"?

    Do you mean "less fortunate" in that someone got dealt a crappy hand, and their situation is only temporary?

    Do you mean "less fortunate" in that someone got dealt a crappy genetic hand, and is incapable of improving their own life?

    Do you mean "less fortunate" as a buzzword to mean anyone and everyone who is poor, regardless of reason?

    "Less fortunate" is pretty vague.
    You've been active in responding to other posts, but have somehow missed this one? Why is that? Why do you not want to define what, exactly, you mean when you say "less fortunate"?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #127
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    A complete inability to relate to those who are less fortunate.
    Quite the opposite. Since they consciously strive to justify their preference for rationality over emotionality, it's clear they're not only empathetic but more easily separate the wheat from the chaff, as do the majority who swing Right-of-'centre'. Were they incapable of relating to emotion, this couldn't be possible. The crucial difference lies only in the extent to which they prioritise this emphasis. That they're extremists merely reflects the relative subscription to their ideologies, and that alone. We can't assume there's any tie-in with their personality roles, foregoing any evidence of common deviance. By contrast, their detractors might well be described as self-indulgent, which would seem far more in keeping with a lack of development. However you weight the merits of their position, empathy is moot. Don't mistake a considered approach for sociopathy.

  8. #128
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Yes and no. While there are some bastards on the far right who completely lack any ability to care about anyone else (which is certainly not unique to any political persuasion), I think on a most basic level it's not about a lack of caring of others, it's just a different set of priorities.

    Generally speaking, those who are considered on "the left" try to focus their energy on improving the community, with the idea if the community is stronger, life will be better for the individuals. Those on "the right" tend to believe in focusing their energy on the individual, with the idea if all individuals are better off, then the community is will be stronger and life will be better.

    I don't think it's so much that people on the right don't care about others, they just believe effort should be put into improving the individual instead of the the community.
    I would post my own thoughts, but they so completely mirror exactly what you've just said that I'll just bump your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  9. #129
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    Quite the opposite. Since they consciously strive to justify their preference for rationality over emotionality, it's clear they're not only empathetic but more easily separate the wheat from the chaff, as do the majority who swing Right-of-'centre'. Were they incapable of relating to emotion, this couldn't be possible. The crucial difference lies only in the extent to which they prioritise this emphasis. That they're extremists merely reflects the relative subscription to their ideologies, and that alone. We can't assume there's any tie-in with their personality roles, foregoing any evidence of common deviance. By contrast, their detractors might well be described as self-indulgent, which would seem far more in keeping with a lack of development. However you weight the merits of their position, empathy is moot. Don't mistake a considered approach for sociopathy.
    I am only speaking, and asking the question based on my experiences around me and those that I talk to. Weather it be associates, acquaintances, friends, people out at a bar, or a stranger. Those that I do talk to seem to have quite the bitter attitude when you bring up things such as immigration. They seem to have very little to no empathy when it comes to the struggles that South and Central Americans are dealing with. Even when you point out that a good number of them are living in a war zone between cartels.

    I do live in a small town, with a lot of rural area surrounding it which is predominantly, based on voting records, republican. However I live a very short drive away from Madison WI which has its share of liberals and those that I talk to there have a very different view on how to deal with the situation.

    I know that me citing personal conversations probably has little meaning to you, but I don't think that what I've stated here is all that different from a majority of the country's views on the matter.
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

  10. #130
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Right. The true libertarian has no empathy.

    no. Empathy just has nothing to do with our political views. We think with our brains. Not our emotions. We aren't willing to sacrifice liberty just because you feel bad for somebody.

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •