View Poll Results: Do those on the far right lack empathy?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 27.37%
  • No

    69 72.63%
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 285

Thread: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

  1. #101
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,104

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    The two cries of "yeah" are pretty clearly directed at his previous comment, and even Ron Paul says "no." And the question was premised that the man in question did have the resources to take care of himself.


    So.... yeah... looks like you are still in search of citation.

  2. #102
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i think you just showed something....not taking responsibility for ones self.......and wanting to shrug your freedom to chose you own way!

    what did Wolff say...man makes good money....but does not want to pay 200 /300 a month for insurance.


    i pay $305 dollars a month for my insurance....its something i accept, and know i must do........others can follow my example.
    So let him die? What if this was your son, or uncle, or brother. You gonna tell him to his face, sorry you're gonna die..?
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

  3. #103
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    So let him die? What if this was your son, or uncle, or brother. You gonna tell him to his face, sorry you're gonna die..?
    no i don't favor that, however his goods will hit the auction block if he does not pay, because a lien will be place on them....for his own error in not getting insurance...

    act stupid.....suffer!

  4. #104
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    So let him die? What if this was your son, or uncle, or brother. You gonna tell him to his face, sorry you're gonna die..?
    That's not the same thing and you know it. No one isn't going to try and help family.

  5. #105
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    A complete inability to relate to those who are less fortunate.
    They have empathy, but their emotional processing is not well suited to it. Progressivism is about trying to create a world where inequity doesn't exist, or can at least be kept at mangeable levels. Conservatism is usually about trying to create a society that can survive inequity.

    In the majority of time periods and cultural contexts where conservatism exists, conservatives are people who tend to accept a society where some people (often an extreme minority) are better off than the rest, because they are either a member of that minority or because they somehow depend on that minority, or at least the system itself. For example, many peasants supported (and fought for) monarchy and aristocracy against rebelling peasants because the stability the monarch and aristocrats offered was worth the massive social inequality that existed between classes.

    In a general historical sense, conservative emotional processing tends to be patterned along tribal lines. They aren't predisposed to universal justice, especially not social justice. There's no need to create a massive scale welfare level to eliminate or manage poverty, because in their tribal logic the majority of people who would receive aid aren't worth helping. They do feel empathy, but their ideology requires them to repress it.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 08-01-14 at 01:25 AM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  6. #106
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,498

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    ..... OR we believe that the best way to help people isn't always through government assistance, especially at the federal level.
    I never said that the best way to help people is always through government assistance - it's certainly not. But by the same token, sometimes the best way to help people IS through government assistance.

    Sometimes it ain't, but sometimes it is. And the very worst thing one can do is to assume that either "never" or "always" is best.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  7. #107
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    For **** sake.. to further your argument you simply discredit what I have to say because its personal experience. So are we only suppose to talk about Straight up facts on this website? There's no room for personal experience? You don't have to take my word for it. Get out of your house and socialize with some people. It's not like what I said is any Big Secret that only I possess knowledge of.
    My personal experience is that the far right and far left have equal empathy, but I could've easily lied and said the far left has no empathy.



    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    Do you deny that conservatives take a lone wolf attitude and liberals take a we're all in this together attitude? Libertarianism vs Communism?
    Conservatives and libertarians want economic policies that are good for the economy. If you wanna spin that into a lack of empathy, I can't stop you.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  8. #108
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    Could that be because those who have the financial means to be "generous" with their money are by in large, Republicans?
    Exclusively? Phfft! No. Not by a long shot.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #109
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Surely you jest...I'm a leftist now? Eh, I thinks there are about, oh, a couple dozen dozen people here who are scratching their heads on that one...

    Individual freedom is mmm...mmm... good.

    I do abhor hypocrisy though...

    You cry against government control but only because you view it as competition. You cry against totalitarian governments and despotism but would only replace it with a privatized tyranny.

    You'd applaud while millions suffer at the hands, the greedy hands of the few, but would be first to call on the evil, heavy-handed government to protect your fortune for you.

    It's worse than hypocritical, its cowardice.
    I responded to the content of YOUR post, that's why I quoted it.

    I don't "applaud while millions suffer" nor do I believe anyone who isn't at least channeling a leftist believes it would be at "the greedy hands of a few" anyway. Nor do I have a fortune to protect. And even more hilarious, up until this moment I don't think I've ever even posted the word "totalitarian".

    Sorry, you missed your target by several miles.

  10. #110
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Do far right Conservatives/Libertarians lack empathy?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    You mean those tax write off charitable donations where they simply sign a check and say here, I'm a good person?
    Certainly don't mean, just give them someone else's money.

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •