View Poll Results: What's the best indicator(s) of the success/failure of the "war on poverty"?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • How much money is allocated to social programs and welfare

    5 8.77%
  • Helping the most people possible live more comfortably regardless of their income or lack of it

    4 7.02%
  • By how many people are actually able to get out of poverty

    48 84.21%
  • Other

    9 15.79%
  • Death Star

    3 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 130

Thread: "War on Poverty"

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: "War on Poverty"

    Two indicators : crime and suicides , also, there is the drop-out rate at our high schools.
    Other was the vote ..

  2. #32
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: "War on Poverty"

    Your #2 seems antithetical to a war on poverty, since that would include helping the mega wealthy live more comfortably. I also don't believe #1 is the best measure, because $ doesn't itself translate into escaping poverty.

    Back in HS, i worked at a gas station in a rather white trash county. I frequently saw adults come in with their little kids, looking like they shower once a month, and the parent uses food stamps and then buys multiple packs of cigs with cash. A depressing scene that gives the impression more social programs alone only = more booze/cigs, not the end of poverty.

    #3 is the most direct indicator, but they have to be able to stay out of poverty and achieve some degree of self-sufficiency. Simply handing the adult i mentioned a huge bag of govt cash isn't success.

  3. #33
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: "War on Poverty"

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I was listening to some talk show the other day, Hannity I think and he had Paul Ryan as a guest. They were speaking about the war on poverty and talking about how its success is measured. I thought that would make an interesting poll. What would be the best indicators of success (or failure)? I'll make it multiple choice.


    Working on the poll, options will be;

    1) By money allocated for social programs, e.g. the more the better
    2) By helping the most people possible live more comfortably regardless of their income or lack of it (I may need to shorten this one).
    3) By how many people are actually able to get out of poverty
    4) Other
    well the real purpose was not a poll answer-how many people become reliable democrat party voters as a result and based on that it is a success to those who instigated this nonsense

    but since the proper answer is C/3, the answer is a complete failure



  4. #34
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: "War on Poverty"

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Two indicators : crime and suicides , also, there is the drop-out rate at our high schools.
    a lot of that can be due to mental illness, but yeah, if crime and suicide go up, better believe it's owing to increase in desperate poverty

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: "War on Poverty"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Liberals aren't interested in getting people out of poverty, that would only cost them votes. They want to keep the poor in the poor house and buy their votes with government freebies. Surely everyone realizes that.
    This was supposed to be an adult conservation ....I think poorly of such childish remarks .

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: "War on Poverty"

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    This was supposed to be an adult conservation ....I think poorly of such childish remarks .
    Its an error to judge policies based on intent, rather than the effects. The results of the failed "war on poverty" are abysmal, and yet the same people who cry about the "war on drugs" cant seem to see how they appear on this "war".

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: "War on Poverty"

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    a lot of that can be due to mental illness, but yeah, if crime and suicide go up, better believe it's owing to increase in desperate poverty
    Indeed but poverty is not an insurmountable challenge. If one can graduate from high school (a requisite for basic skills, and hiring), get married (two income earners), and hold a full time job (demonstrating reliability) at least one year-they will no longer be poor.

    As is-the biggest predictor of poverty is single parenting-which condemns most children to a future of poverty and diminished outcomes.

    These objective truths are too important to ignore.

  8. #38
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: "War on Poverty"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Liberals aren't interested in getting people out of poverty, that would only cost them votes. They want to keep the poor in the poor house and buy their votes with government freebies. Surely everyone realizes that.
    If only that did work. If people rise out of poverty they might be a tad grateful to their helpers. They might come to embrace socialism full stop. But the poor are kept in their place because there are very few in power who actually want to see this end. Why? Because they're bought off by their corporate buddies, who only want to exploit the bottom 99%.

    As this likely includes you, it's rather amazing you don't realize you're enabling your oppressors with this uber compassionate "let them starve" mantra. Guess what, *many* full time workers are poor and barely afford to get by.

  9. #39
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: "War on Poverty"

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Its an error to judge policies based on intent, rather than the effects. The results of the failed "war on poverty" are abysmal, and yet the same people who cry about the "war on drugs" cant seem to see how they appear on this "war".
    So what do you propose, to give up and watch the whole country collapse into 3rd world detroit?

    These are complex issues where one can disagree with how it's being handled. Opposition to the drug "war" is largely ideological; it's simply no one's business what i put into my body. It's inherently a failure, even if it did lead to less drug use.

  10. #40
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: "War on Poverty"

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Indeed but poverty is not an insurmountable challenge. If one can graduate from high school (a requisite for basic skills, and hiring), get married (two income earners), and hold a full time job (demonstrating reliability) at least one year-they will no longer be poor.

    As is-the biggest predictor of poverty is single parenting-which condemns most children to a future of poverty and diminished outcomes.

    These objective truths are too important to ignore.
    So now everyone has to marry just to escape poverty. Perhaps that's simply not a sacrifice they're willing to make, and for you to instruct others how to live...

    Cause full time minimum wage, which is about all high school can guarantee, is $15392/year. That's barely above the poverty level. If you ask me, reform is most needed for the working poor. People aren't going to put up with this forever, not while their corporate barons are exploiting them more and more - about 14 fold since 1960s (source: EPI)

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •