View Poll Results: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 9.68%
  • No

    49 79.03%
  • Other

    7 11.29%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 131

Thread: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    There's something of controversy going on here. A local retailer is refusing to sell alcohol to legal adults if a minor is present with them. Doesn't matter how old or young the minor is, and it doesn't matter if the minor is the adult's own kid.

    The retailer is not breaking any laws by doing this, so that's not the issue... but should they? How would you react if a retailer refused to sell you alcohol just because you had your kid with you?

    Please note that in this state it is perfectly legal for parents to serve their own minor children alcohol.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    There's something of controversy going on here. A local retailer is refusing to sell alcohol to legal adults if a minor is present with them. Doesn't matter how old or young the minor is, and it doesn't matter if the minor is the adult's own kid.

    The retailer is not breaking any laws by doing this, so that's not the issue... but should they? How would you react if a retailer refused to sell you alcohol just because you had your kid with you?

    Please note that in this state it is perfectly legal for parents to serve their own minor children alcohol.
    No, he shouldn't be allowed to withhold legal goods purchased legally that he normally sells to others.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  3. #3
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,208

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    I personally believe that the drinking age should be 15 or 16 and not really enforced, so I personally feel a minor of that age should be able to buy it anyways. In this case I think it is ridiculous, what if the kid just went into the store with their parents to buy wine or something for dinner?

  4. #4
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,081

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    I personally believe that the drinking age should be 15 or 16 and not really enforced, so I personally feel a minor of that age should be able to buy it anyways. In this case I think it is ridiculous, what if the kid just went into the store with their parents to buy wine or something for dinner?
    That's actually happened to my aunt before. She had her 20 year old daughter with her and they carded both of them and wouldn't sell them a few bottles of wine because she was 20.

    Crazy. I don't understand it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  5. #5
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,176

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    in my state, spirit package sales can only be made at state-operated ABC (alcoholic beverage commission) stores

    the rules prohibit anyone of the ages 18, 19, and 20 from entering the facility, even if accompanied by a 21+ legal buyer

    my assumption is to prevent those ineligibles from being able to identify what eligible buyers could purchase on their behalf

    could the same purpose be intended by the rules you are subject to at the store in question
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #6
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,787

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    I need more context here. Has there been an established pattern of straw purchases at this store? Or is this just some childish objection to letting kids see their parents drink?
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  7. #7
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    That's actually happened to my aunt before. She had her 20 year old daughter with her and they carded both of them and wouldn't sell them a few bottles of wine because she was 20.

    Crazy. I don't understand it at all.
    I'm guessing here, but I wonder if it's because they fear that selling to an adult with a minor present will end up the adult being the straw purchaser for the minor. Of course the failure of that thought is that when minors use straw purchasers, they don't enter the store with him, they stay outside in the car or even in the next parking lot over. Only "honest" people would actually have a minor with them.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  8. #8
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    Depends on circumstance.

  9. #9
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    in my state, spirit package sales can only be made at state-operated ABC (alcoholic beverage commission) stores

    the rules prohibit anyone of the ages 18, 19, and 20 from entering the facility, even if accompanied by a 21+ legal buyer

    my assumption is to prevent those ineligibles from being able to identify what eligible buyers could purchase on their behalf

    could the same purpose be intended by the rules you are subject to at the store in question
    My guess is that this is the reason, but according to news reports, the retailer in question isn't making any discernment regarding friends vs family members.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #10
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,081

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I'm guessing here, but I wonder if it's because they fear that selling to an adult with a minor present will end up the adult being the straw purchaser for the minor. Of course the failure of that thought is that when minors use straw purchasers, they don't enter the store with him, they stay outside in the car or even in the next parking lot over. Only "honest" people would actually have a minor with them.
    True. I admit to doing that when I was a teenager, and I never went in to the store, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •