View Poll Results: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 9.68%
  • No

    49 79.03%
  • Other

    7 11.29%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 131

Thread: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    No, it is not against the law. A handful of stores are doing this on their own.
    Maybe we should make "no booze = no $$$" cards like we do for gun buster signs.

  2. #112
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    No, it is not against the law. A handful of stores are doing this on their own.
    We'll then, it's an odd go to market strategy, but maybe they were burned by adults buying booze for underagers and they just want to protect themselves.

  3. #113
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    We'll then, it's an odd go to market strategy, but maybe they were burned by adults buying booze for underagers and they just want to protect themselves.
    The police in this area are known for doing random sweeps trying to catch merchants selling to minors, so maybe that is it.

    Someone mentioned the name earlier, so I will say the store name. It is Walmart. Several stores in this geographic region are doing this. It was a local news station doing the story, and they didn't say if it was state-wide. Walmart corporate denied there is a company-wide policy to do this, but otherwise had no comment.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #114
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    Now, I would suggest that if it isn't every store, just go to a different store if at all possible. This is what I did with Safeway. I will not shop there unless I absolutely have no other choice because they refuse to take my military ID as proof of age. I realize that I don't look 33 (I've been told several times just in the last month that I look late teens/early twenties, shocked the hell out of some people at work with my age), but still. It's frickin annoying when I have ID that has my picture and birthday on it and they won't take it because they think they could identify me better with height and weight.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #115
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The police in this area are known for doing random sweeps trying to catch merchants selling to minors, so maybe that is it.

    Someone mentioned the name earlier, so I will say the store name. It is Walmart. Several stores in this geographic region are doing this. It was a local news station doing the story, and they didn't say if it was state-wide. Walmart corporate denied there is a company-wide policy to do this, but otherwise had no comment.
    I know they did this years ago, in some in our area. My mother had my siblings and aunt in WalMart once and we separated to pay for stuff so that they wouldn't have a cow about us being with her. It really is a dumb policy because it assumes that people don't ever buy alcohol during their normal shopping trips which they might have their children with them. Our WalMart here doesn't seem to have an issue with it from what I remember, but it is possible.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #116
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,550
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    No. The question regarding ethics is valid. It is simply asking for your opinion on a narrow aspect of the overall scenario. We established in Post #1 one that the ability to refuse was legal and thus not an issue, not the question.
    But the problem is that what is ethical for you, what is ethical for me, may not be ethical for the person selling the liquor. Ethics is simply too vague a term to use as a principle other than as it applies to each individual. So my point is, if the person selling the liquor considers it unethical or unacceptable if a minor is present, then our position should be that it is his decision to make. So long as nobody's rights are being violated, those of us who value the liberty to follow our own conscience must also allow all others that liberty or there is no liberty.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #117
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    But the problem is that what is ethical for you, what is ethical for me, may not be ethical for the person selling the liquor. Ethics is simply too vague a term to use as a principle other than as it applies to each individual. So my point is, if the person selling the liquor considers it unethical or unacceptable if a minor is present, then our position should be that it is his decision to make. So long as nobody's rights are being violated, those of us who value the liberty to follow our own conscience must also allow all others that liberty or there is no liberty.
    Yes, ethics are individual, that's the whole point. What's YOURS? Not hiding behind paper theory. Seriously, I don't understand why having an opinion needs to be so absurdly complex.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    I don't find much merit in drug testing, I don't find much merit in laws that ban minors from buying certain goods, and I surely don't find much merit in not selling to someone because a kid is around. The man in question is retarded and seriously needs to get over it. In any event, if he wants to lose his business because of idiotic business decisions that is his business. Good luck to him doing something else in his life.

  9. #119
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    For every person here who thinks their business will be negatively affected, there's probably two others who think it's a great idea. "It'll protect the chiiiildrun".
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should a retailer refuse to sell alcohol to a legal adult if a minor is present?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    For every person here who thinks their business will be negatively affected, there's probably two others who think it's a great idea. "It'll protect the chiiiildrun".
    If a business decision affects when people can do business with you it will surely affect your bottom line.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •