View Poll Results: Should 'people punching' weapons be kept by civilians who want them?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    19 67.86%
  • No

    6 21.43%
  • Not sure/it depends

    3 10.71%
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 249

Thread: 'People punching' guns[W:249]

  1. #221
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    re: 'People punching' guns[W:249]

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    This poll question refers to firearms that are designed for the primary purpose of killing several people at close or medium range in a very short time. If you answer, please explain why civilians should be able to keep them or why not.

    Also, the question has nothing to do with whether these types of firearms are legal and constitutional to own (in the US), but whether they should be.
    Civilians should be armed if they want to be...with people slapping knives or people punching guns or people tapping bats or whatever silly name you want to call weapons used in self defense.

  2. #222
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,878

    re: 'People punching' guns[W:249]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    To my knowledge, NO weapon is made with the express purpose of killing large numbers of people in a short time at close range.


    A LOT of weapons may be CAPABLE of such a feat. In the right hands, as I said, an 1880s Colt Frontier .45 could kill up to six people at close range in a couple seconds.

    A pump sporting shotgun, loaded with #00 buck, could put forty-five .30 lead balls in the air at potentially lethal velocity in about 2-3 seconds.


    A semi-auto deer rifle in 30-06 could typically kill three or four people at close range in a couple seconds, in moderately skilled (or lucky) hands... and they generally do not have a detachable magazine. 30-06 is a powerful and lethal round, which could penetrate and kill or wound several people with one round. It is a hunting rather than military round... the 5.56 used by the M16/AR15/M4 is weak tea by comparison.
    Exactly. I wonder if 'self defense' by design and purpose is discounted as legitimate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #223
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,878

    re: 'People punching' guns[W:249]

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    That's why states issue (and can revoke) driver's licenses. Are you saying you support gun operator licenses?
    Havent seen any licenses issued for Constitutional Rights. Please provide examples.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,878

    re: 'People punching' guns[W:249]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Obviously it was not a 'moot point', any more so than their decision to protect other individual rights. They had the foresight and wisdom to see that some people would both readily abandon personal rights and/or insist the government has the right to seize those personal rights and freedoms. Thats why they were included. They are guarded from foolish revisionism.
    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    The "nuh uh" defense adds no strength to your argument at all.
    He gave you a direct answer. Why were you unable to process it and instead, resort to a childish response?
    Last edited by Lursa; 07-28-14 at 08:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #225
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    re: 'People punching' guns[W:249]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Canada requires detachable mags to be perminantly modified to hold no more than 3 or 5 rounds, depending on the type of rifle. Fixed magaziens (such as the tube under the barrel of a shotgun) have to be pluged to meet the same limitation, but the plug doesn't have to be perminantly afixed. Removing the plug for anything other than maintenance is a serious offence.

    Please understand that you're talking to people who don't see why any kind of firearm should be completely banned. It's not that we've never heard someone offer reasons, its that we've taken an honest look at those reasons and found them to be based on fear, not facts, if not just propiganda.

    Banning guns to reduce crime is exactly like banning abortion to reduce unwanted pregnancy. You cannot use a technological solution to solve a sociological problem.
    Just for argument's sake, though, it might be useful to examine the question from the opposite side: Is there any GOOD reason for a non-collector who is also a civilian to have a weapon like this. Maybe I'm truly not familiar enough with such weapons to answer that question, but as far as I now know, I can't think of a good reason.
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  6. #226
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    re: 'People punching' guns[W:249]

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    Just for argument's sake, though, it might be useful to examine the question from the opposite side: Is there any GOOD reason for a non-collector who is also a civilian to have a weapon like this. Maybe I'm truly not familiar enough with such weapons to answer that question, but as far as I now know, I can't think of a good reason.


    Self-defense.

    Militia service, if the militia should ever be called. Incidentally some states still have a militia.

    Resisting tyranny, should such ever arise.

    And any other lawful purposes.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #227
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:44 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,544

    re: 'People punching' guns[W:249]

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    Maybe I'm truly not familiar enough with such weapons
    Duhhhhh..........maybe?????????

    Just for argument's sake....are you familiar with ANY weapon at all?

  8. #228
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,858

    re: 'People punching' guns[W:249]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Duhhhhh..........maybe?????????

    Just for argument's sake....are you familiar with ANY weapon at all?
    A sharp pencil!?
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  9. #229
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    re: 'People punching' guns[W:249]

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    Just for argument's sake, though, it might be useful to examine the question from the opposite side: Is there any GOOD reason for a non-collector who is also a civilian to have a weapon like this. Maybe I'm truly not familiar enough with such weapons to answer that question, but as far as I now know, I can't think of a good reason.
    I'm currently in the Army National Guard. My issued personal weapons are the M249 Light Machiengun and M4 Assult Rifle. Due to time constraints and budget cuts, we get ridiculously little time in the year to train with our weapons and keep ready for the next terrorist atrack or national emergency. I literaly only shot my issued weapons once last year for about a half houre each.

    We cannot fire our weapons even for training without the signature of the battallion comander. Needles to say that's a very dificult thing to get given said time restrainsts and budget cuts.

    As with phisical fitness and verious online Army classes, I am willing to put my own time & money into keeping my weapon skills sharp, so that I'm ready for the next time we're called on to respond to the next terrorist attack, riot or national emergincy. I would also like to compete in the Governor's 20 competition as that would result in more Promotion Points and thus advance in rank faster.

    The only way I can do that is if I can personaly own the same weapons as my issued weapons; both the M249 & M4 being modern machienguns.

    To complicate the situation, when the day comes that I leave the service, these guns would still be my property, and so I would need to be able to own them as a pure civilian.

  10. #230
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,206

    re: 'People punching' guns[W:249]

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    Just for argument's sake, though, it might be useful to examine the question from the opposite side: Is there any GOOD reason for a non-collector who is also a civilian to have a weapon like this. Maybe I'm truly not familiar enough with such weapons to answer that question, but as far as I now know, I can't think of a good reason.
    Yes. The reason that we have a second amendment isn't about self defense. That should be a given. It's main purpose was so that people can retain power over the government.

    A good reason, the best reason to own fire arms that are equal to the military is so we the people of this great republic can defend her against enemies forgein and domestic. An armed citizenry is the best defense.
    It's okay to be white

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •