View Poll Results: The NRA mandatory school shooting plan? Good idea or not a good idea?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, no passing shooting grade and the child may not advance to the next grade

    3 6.52%
  • no, shooting lessons I totally support but it should not determine passing to the next grade

    19 41.30%
  • the NRA has completely/partly lost the plot

    5 10.87%
  • the NRA should get the Nobel peace prize for this idea

    2 4.35%
  • No, I am going to teach my kid myself how to shoot

    5 10.87%
  • No, shooting lessons have no place at schools

    19 41.30%
  • teaching potential young gangbangers better schooting skills is not a good idea

    6 13.04%
  • I have no kids

    3 6.52%
  • I do not care one way or another

    1 2.17%
  • other ........... (please explain

    5 10.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 148

Thread: Newest NRA campaign idea, make learning to shoot mandatory in school

  1. #21
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Newest NRA campaign idea, make learning to shoot mandatory in school

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Is that everything you learned at school?

    No maths? geography? physics? history? chemestry? biology?

    Did you flunk out at 13?
    So you want them to substitute gun training for math, history, geography.....Okay no problemo.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #22
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Newest NRA campaign idea, make learning to shoot mandatory in school

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    The schools would likely use some sort of air or soft air weapons so, it wouldn't be like a student could go berserk and start killing people.

    We teach our children gun responsibility but, having the school reinforce is a bonus.
    Some parents aren't equipped to do, and may choose to allow the school to teach it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #23
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Newest NRA campaign idea, make learning to shoot mandatory in school

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Then you and I have a very different opinion about the option "other .............. (please explain)

    You only have 10 options so I decided to put down these options and leave one open for people with other opinions.
    And reviewing your 10 options there is bias. Just admit it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,026

    Re: Newest NRA campaign idea, make learning to shoot mandatory in school

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    And reviewing your 10 options there is bias. Just admit it.
    Do I think it is a moronic idea? Yes, quite obviously you can read in every sentence (just about) of my opening statement. And why not, it is not illegal to have a bias against guns. I gave honest options, nobody can say there is not an opinion in there that they can agree to to a great extend.

    I just threw in 2 funny meant options too (get a nobel peace price and the gangbanger statement) too because it is (in my opinion) a bit of an insane idea.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  5. #25
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Newest NRA campaign idea, make learning to shoot mandatory in school

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Make shooting lessons mandatory at schools, this is what Bill Johnson has said in a video from NRA News.

    He said that kids are learning how to read and write and that these are deemed necessary skills, but if it were up to him (and I would assume the NRA or they would not have made this clip/released it) shooting would also be a skill that was learned at school from now on.

    But he goes one step further to thumb the NRA nose at parents who will not allow guns in the house or who are anti-guns, learning to shoot guns at school would become mandatory if a child wishes to advance to the next grade. In other words, if your kid (even though you are vehemently against guns) wants to go to the next grade at school he will have to complete a gun shooting course or he will be held back.
    “To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them” — Richard Henry Lee

    I think that it is an excellent idea to include marksmanship and gun safety training as part of every standard school curriculum. I think that such training should include not only the physical skills of accurately and safely shooting and handling a gun, but the social, legal, and ethical issues surrounding the use of a gun.

    I do think the proposal, as described here, goes a bit too far. If parents have a strong enough objection, I think they should be able to withhold their children from such training (though, if that child goes on to be involved in a gun-related tragedy that might have been prevented had the child received this training perhaps the parents should bear some liability). I also do not think one's progression from one grade to the next should be so wholly dependent on mastering any one subject; unless this lack of mastery is likely to seriously hinder that student's ability to learn what he needs to in the next grade. At worst, a student who fails to achieve the desired level of mastery of gun-related skills in one grade, can repeat that class while he is in the next grade. One year should be plenty of time to teach a student all the gun-related skills and knowledge he needs, and the public school system gets thirteen years with each student. I do not see any good reason at all why, if the public school system is intent on providing a decent level of gun training, that they cannot, in thirteen years, educate 99.999999999% of all their students to an acceptable level in this field.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  6. #26
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Newest NRA campaign idea, make learning to shoot mandatory in school

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I agree and would add that shooting classes should also not be required to attain (retain?) full 2A rights. If these classes are required to get/keep the right to keep and bear arms then they should be offered at no cost to any that wish to take them.
    There is line of thinking that holds that it is “reasonable” to require a person to complete some class on gun safety before one is allowed to exercise one's Second Amendment rights. Of course, this then ties into the idea of limiting the availability of these classes, or making them unreasonably expensive, as a means of limiting how many people are allowed to exercise these rights.

    While I completely reject the idea that anyone's ability to exercise any of his basic Constitutional rights should be subject to any such arbitrary condition as having taken any class, I do recognize the value in one being trained in the proper and safe use of arms; to the degree that I think it should be made part of every standard school curriculum. And by making it part of a standard school curriculum, the presumption would then be built that all adults who had at least graduated high school can be presumed to have received such training, and there would then be no excuse for anti-Constitutional scum to seek to impose a training requirement on the Second Amendment, which they could then abuse by making that training expensive or difficult to obtain.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  7. #27
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Newest NRA campaign idea, make learning to shoot mandatory in school

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    The schools would likely use some sort of air or soft air weapons so, it wouldn't be like a student could go berserk and start killing people.

    We teach our children gun responsibility but, having the school reinforce is a bonus.
    There's only so much you can learn using toy guns. At some point, the training would have to involve real guns (as in firearms, that use exploding gunpowder to propel the bullet) in order to be entirely valid.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  8. #28
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Newest NRA campaign idea, make learning to shoot mandatory in school

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Make shooting lessons mandatory at schools, this is what Bill Johnson has said in a video from NRA News.

    He said that kids are learning how to read and write and that these are deemed necessary skills, but if it were up to him (and I would assume the NRA or they would not have made this clip/released it) shooting would also be a skill that was learned at school from now on.

    But he goes one step further to thumb the NRA nose at parents who will not allow guns in the house or who are anti-guns, learning to shoot guns at school would become mandatory if a child wishes to advance to the next grade. In other words, if your kid (even though you are vehemently against guns) wants to go to the next grade at school he will have to complete a gun shooting course or he will be held back.

    I was aware that the second Amendment guarantees the right to bear arms, but now the NRA wants to force guns and shooting even upon children and parents who do not want to bear arms or to shoot arms.

    So the question is, how desirable is it to have mandatory gun lessons at school in order to advance to the next grade?

    I read this story on the website of a Dutch newspaper but an English version of this story can be found here NRA
    I think it should be mandatory in a sense of a firearm handling and safety class. In this country we tell kids to not talk to look both ways before crossing the street they do not get ran over.We tell kids don't talk to strangers so that chester the child molester doesn't abduct them. We tell kids to not do drugs so that they do not get addicted to drugs. We have sex ed classes tell preach the dangers of STDs and unwanted pregnancy. I have even seen commercials telling kids to not send naked pics of themselves to their boyfriends or else they could end up being called the town slut. We have at least 70-80 million firearm owners and at least 310 million firearms in this country in this country as of 2009. That means a lot of households with guns and a huge chance that children may encounter a firearm. So one would think it would be common sense teaching kids about firearm safety and proper handling.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #29
    Guru
    Joe Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri, USA
    Last Seen
    05-11-16 @ 07:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,054

    Re: Newest NRA campaign idea, make learning to shoot mandatory in school

    This is worse than a bad idea. This is an insult to civilization. We shouldn't be teaching children to kill.
    Proud to be a tax and spend leftist.

    Proud supporter of the real Second Amendment.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,026

    Re: Newest NRA campaign idea, make learning to shoot mandatory in school

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    “To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them” — Richard Henry Lee

    I think that it is an excellent idea to include marksmanship and gun safety training as part of every standard school curriculum. I think that such training should include not only the physical skills of accurately and safely shooting and handling a gun, but the social, legal, and ethical issues surrounding the use of a gun.

    I do think the proposal, as described here, goes a bit too far. If parents have a strong enough objection, I think they should be able to withhold their children from such training (though, if that child goes on to be involved in a gun-related tragedy that might have been prevented had the child received this training perhaps the parents should bear some liability). I also do not think one's progression from one grade to the next should be so wholly dependent on mastering any one subject; unless this lack of mastery is likely to seriously hinder that student's ability to learn what he needs to in the next grade. At worst, a student who fails to achieve the desired level of mastery of gun-related skills in one grade, can repeat that class while he is in the next grade. One year should be plenty of time to teach a student all the gun-related skills and knowledge he needs, and the public school system gets thirteen years with each student. I do not see any good reason at all why, if the public school system is intent on providing a decent level of gun training, that they cannot, in thirteen years, educate 99.999999999% of all their students to an acceptable level in this field.
    But it is the right to bear arms, the right to own arms, not a duty or a rule that people ought to/have to have a gun. Richard Henry Lee lived in the revolutionary part of US history, where the lack of an army meant that it was down to the population with guns to protect the fledgling USA. To protect the liberty of the United States from it's enemies there is now an army of the people for the people. Not the entire population needs to be armed to protect the US from enemies.

    I think that should be purely done by the parents. Teach children about gun safety at school, even at just above kindergarten, that is fine by me. But shooting guns at schools does not seem an appropriate thing to do. A minority of Americans in an opinion poll say that they or anyone in their household owns a gun. The percentage goes from about 37% to about 47% based on which opinion poll and which time of year (I would guess, in light of the mass shootings it could have sometimes changed the answers of people), but as a whole let us say that 45% of Americans own guns.

    That means that more people have no guns than people that have guns. It almost looks to me that the NRA is wanting to produce more potential gun owners seeing that the number of gun owners (not the number of guns) has declined the past few decades. Knowing to shoot a gun is not a basic skill for people to have to learn at school. At school they should learn reading, writing, math, etc. etc. but not shooting guns. Schools should teach children how to ride in traffic safely because every child in all reality will need to travel in traffic on an almost daily basis in their life. Gun shooting is not a basic skill IMHO.

    Using the schools as a promotional gimmick to enlarge the possible public for gun ownership does not seem an appropriate use of school time.

    Now if they want to teach at schools after lessons then I would not have an issue but it should never be part of the school curriculum.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •