View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with Tony Dungys's comments about gay player Michael Sams?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

    30 81.08%
  • disagree

    7 18.92%
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 285

Thread: Do you agree or disagree with Tony Dungys's comments about gay player Michael Sams?

  1. #181
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,941

    Re: Do you agree or disagree with Tony Dungys's comments about gay player Michael Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Which makes a difference how in the way they behave while in the locker room when no one is in there?

    Pretty much the same argument was made by those against repealing DADT "but the straight men will have to share the locker rooms with gay men". So what? It doesn't matter. The public knows that the military straight men are sharing locker rooms with gay men. And since the repeal of DADT, several gay men and women in the service have openly revealed their sexuality on TV, to reporters, in public.
    I have to say that last part I disagree with. Don't get me wrong I have no issues serving with openly gay dudes but active duty military talking to reporters about topics such as that. There job is to serve the country not take sides in political or cultural issues. I have the exact same feeling towards any active service member that would talk to reporters about not wanting to serve with gays. Service members should not be using their service to push any type of agenda.
    President Franklin Roosevelt eulogized a fallen American Soldier by saying, “He stands in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die [that] freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings. Freedom lives, and through it he lives--in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men."

  2. #182
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,955

    Re: Do you agree or disagree with Tony Dungys's comments about gay player Michael Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Using the "distraction" excuse is cowardly and not at all believable. NFL needs to man up about this. You know what else is distraction? Having a dog killer on your team, rapists, Ray Lewis, bigots like Dungee. It's obvious that teams avoided drafting Sam out of prejudice. They might want to keep in mind that in many of these cities, such discrimination is illegal. That it's a 'draft' makes no difference. It's still employment.

    you may be sorely disappointed when he doesnt make the 53 man squad

    i give him a 30% chance to hang on

    the issue isnt about discrimination....its about talent

    he went from a projected 3-4th rounder, all the way to the 7th because his numbers didnt stack up

    he is too small for an NFL defensive end....and too slow for an outside linebacker

    now maybe those times and his performance at the combines was an aberration....he played much better than those last year in the SEC

    but if those numbers are reality, he will have a hard time making the transition to the pros.....and it wont have crap to do with his sexual orientation
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  3. #183
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Do you agree or disagree with Tony Dungys's comments about gay player Michael Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I can tell you as a straight man I would be uncomfortable dressing and showering with someone I knew was gay.
    Why Navy. If in your view, homosexuality does not REALLY exist. Your view has always been that all men are really straight and that homosexuality is just a choice that some misguided people choose. In which case, all gays are really straight, so why would you have an issue showering with them?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride
    I am not a homophobe
    uh......your endless posts betray you yet again my Republican friend.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #184
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Do you agree or disagree with Tony Dungys's comments about gay player Michael Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    I have to say that last part I disagree with. Don't get me wrong I have no issues serving with openly gay dudes but active duty military talking to reporters about topics such as that. There job is to serve the country not take sides in political or cultural issues. I have the exact same feeling towards any active service member that would talk to reporters about not wanting to serve with gays. Service members should not be using their service to push any type of agenda.
    We still get to live our lives and do things. Being gay isn't an "agenda", that is just it. It is simply being who you are. Just like I can pose with my husband while either or both of us are in uniform for press (usually not on purpose) especially if either of us are coming home from a deployment, so should gays be able to do that, and now they can. I hugged my husband (at the time my fiance) as he got off the plane coming home from Iraq with an M16 still strapped to his back, as did dozens of other wives and girlfriends. But there weren't any boyfriends there because at the time DADT was still in effect. Many times when a ship comes home from deployment, her homecoming is televised on at least local stations. There is no reason that same sex couples should not be allowed to do the same thing in front of those cameras that straight couples do when we get home from such things. That is part of life.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #185
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you agree or disagree with Tony Dungys's comments about gay player Michael Sam

    It's funny because Michael Sam brushed it off and is okay with Dungy, and Dungy is okay with Michael Sam. The only people bitching about it seem to be people that aren't involved at all.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  6. #186
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,941

    Re: Do you agree or disagree with Tony Dungys's comments about gay player Michael Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    We still get to live our lives and do things. Being gay isn't an "agenda", that is just it. It is simply being who you are. Just like I can pose with my husband while either or both of us are in uniform for press (usually not on purpose) especially if either of us are coming home from a deployment, so should gays be able to do that, and now they can. I hugged my husband (at the time my fiance) as he got off the plane coming home from Iraq with an M16 still strapped to his back, as did dozens of other wives and girlfriends. But there weren't any boyfriends there because at the time DADT was still in effect. Many times when a ship comes home from deployment, her homecoming is televised on at least local stations. There is no reason that same sex couples should not be allowed to do the same thing in front of those cameras that straight couples do when we get home from such things. That is part of life.
    I probably was not very clear with my post. I have no issues with anything you typed. Gays should have every single right and freedom that straights do. The way I took the the last part about coming out to reporters is making a political stand. Now if they are just kissing and a reporter happens to get a pic of that who cares. No issues. But seeking out a reporter to bring attention to you being gay is making political and social stand and shouldn't be done in uniform. The military in my opinion is not the place for that.

  7. #187
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Do you agree or disagree with Tony Dungys's comments about gay player Michael Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    I have to say that last part I disagree with. Don't get me wrong I have no issues serving with openly gay dudes but active duty military talking to reporters about topics such as that. There job is to serve the country not take sides in political or cultural issues. I have the exact same feeling towards any active service member that would talk to reporters about not wanting to serve with gays. Service members should not be using their service to push any type of agenda.
    Its not politically correct for military personnel to speak out about gays serving openly.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  8. #188
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Do you agree or disagree with Tony Dungys's comments about gay player Michael Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    you may be sorely disappointed when he doesnt make the 53 man squad

    i give him a 30% chance to hang on

    the issue isnt about discrimination....its about talent

    he went from a projected 3-4th rounder, all the way to the 7th because his numbers didnt stack up

    he is too small for an NFL defensive end....and too slow for an outside linebacker

    now maybe those times and his performance at the combines was an aberration....he played much better than those last year in the SEC

    but if those numbers are reality, he will have a hard time making the transition to the pros.....and it wont have crap to do with his sexual orientation
    I predict he won't make the 53 man roster and the leftist media to stir **** up will say it was because he was gay.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #189
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Do you agree or disagree with Tony Dungys's comments about gay player Michael Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    so much for free speech in America.....
    ****....we've been reduced to "Free Speech Zones" in this country. Government loves its power. I know that's not 100% applicable here, but free speech in America, in general, is dead.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #190
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Do you agree or disagree with Tony Dungys's comments about gay player Michael Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    If by self serving you mean giving the team the best chance to win, then that's how a GM should operate. Other players' distractions are tolerated because they're good enough that their talent outweighs it. With Sam you can get a player of roughly equal talent at that point in the 7th. I wouldn't take the risk on the player who might hurt the team when I can get an equal player who won't.
    Really, SEC defensive player of the year? He was projected 3rd-4th round before coming out. Granted, the draft is largely a crapshot from start to finish (Lions had a couple #3 picks go bust i recall), but you'll have a real hard time convincing me that not a single team would take him or that there's any risk compared to taking a Manti Te'o closet case who invents girlfriends and kills them off just to escape the pressure. It's harder on Sam than any of his teammates, so they can cry me a river.

    And talk of distractions, how about the first black coach in the super bowl? The media went on about Dungee himself. Guess he should've been fired then. Gipper mentioned the Giants' hire of a renowned gay basher, and that's no distraction? It's not only because most the NFL prefers gay bashers. Whose fault is that, Sam's? The media? I will tell you, only the NFL is to blame.

    In the end, Sam and, to a lesser extent, the Rams coach and GM will be the ones remembered. Tell me without looking it up who won the world series any year that Jackie Robinson played. The Giants or Green Bay can go win the super bowl because they don't have a 'distraction' and they'll still only be remembered for their hate.

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •