View Poll Results: What would you do about the death penalty?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing. It's fine as it's currently practiced.

    6 7.59%
  • Eliminate it completely.

    42 53.16%
  • Modify it. (Explain your answer)

    31 39.24%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 146

Thread: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

  1. #1
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    This poll addresses capital punishment both in the states that have it and in the federal government.
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    This poll addresses capital punishment both in the states that have it and in the federal government.
    I would eliminate the death penalty in it's entirety. Nobody, government official or citizen, should have the legal right to murder someone unless directly in self-defense. There's no need to become the very thing we claim to fight against. "You killed someone, and that's not okay, thus your punishment is that I will kill you." Makes no sense!

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    ensure it is used only when there is no doubt of guilt....and for the only most heinous of crimes.

    ...and carry it out expeditiously and semi-publicly

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    I would eliminate the death penalty in it's entirety. Nobody, government official or citizen, should have the legal right to murder someone unless directly in self-defense. There's no need to become the very thing we claim to fight against. "You killed someone, and that's not okay, thus your punishment is that I will kill you." Makes no sense!
    It makes perfect sense. I do think we need better trained cops, public defenders and forensic techs. The judicial systems needs to move a way from a conviction based entity and more towards a innocence based investigative entity.
    That way once we get to the point of knowing with absolute certainty who did what.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    While I do believe some people should be killed for their crimes, I don't believe it's the government's job at any level to carry out the act. There is now evidence that the death penalty has been applied to innocent people in various states. That alone is enough for me to think that the government should only be allowed to hand out life sentences without the possibility of parole. If the inmates asks to be executed, then the government can grant it but outside of that, I don't believe it should have laws that allow the death penalty.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    I do think we need better trained cops, public defenders and forensic techs. The judicial systems needs to move a way from a conviction based entity and more towards a innocence based investigative entity.
    I agree, but we can do that without legalizing and legitimizing executions.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    ensure it is used only when there is no doubt of guilt....
    So, have it but never ever use it?? There is never, and I do mean never, zero doubt about a person's guilt. There is always at least a slight chance that your conviction is wrong. Yet another reason why the death penalty is a bad idea. It is especially bad in this corrupted system of "guilty before proven innocent", but it is generally a bad idea in all systems.

  8. #8
    OPO extraordinaire

    MACS-24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,426

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    I vote "modify"
    First, find a way to ensure 99.99% guilt then actually enforce it. As it stands there is no deterrent and has become useless. Instead, redundant 'new' laws are made that usually only affect the innocent for what they "might" do.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    If certain gun guys are insulted by that? Good, they should be ashamed: the rest of US are sick and tired of having our intelligence insulted[/i].



  9. #9
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    I would eliminate the death penalty in it's entirety. Nobody, government official or citizen, should have the legal right to murder someone unless directly in self-defense. There's no need to become the very thing we claim to fight against. "You killed someone, and that's not okay, thus your punishment is that I will kill you." Makes no sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    While I do believe some people should be killed for their crimes, I don't believe it's the government's job at any level to carry out the act. There is now evidence that the death penalty has been applied to innocent people in various states. That alone is enough for me to think that the government should only be allowed to hand out life sentences without the possibility of parole. If the inmates asks to be executed, then the government can grant it but outside of that, I don't believe it should have laws that allow the death penalty.
    These. Couldn't have said it better.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  10. #10
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    This poll addresses capital punishment both in the states that have it and in the federal government.
    When I was younger, and more emotional, I was ALL FOR the death penalty. However, as I've aged and hopefully become less emotional, as well as the fact that DNA evidence has proven that numerous people have been wrongfully executed and many have been saved from execution by being exonerated prior to the sentence being carried out, I am now against the Death Penalty because if the state executes just one innocent person, then we are no better than the people that we are trying to remove from society by killing them.

    Do I think that there are people that should die as a result of their acts? Hell yes, I still do. The problem I have, is that there is no definitive way to apply such a law without the potential of an innocent person being convicted and executed in a tragic and horrific mistake. I'm not willing to live with that possibility.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •