View Poll Results: What would you do about the death penalty?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing. It's fine as it's currently practiced.

    6 7.59%
  • Eliminate it completely.

    42 53.16%
  • Modify it. (Explain your answer)

    31 39.24%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 146

Thread: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

  1. #81
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Same thing. If it's okay to kill, it's okay to kill. If someone tried to kill me, I would kill them first (hopefully). If someone killed my family or loved one, I would gladly go kill him/her after the fact. If someone were a cold-blooded killer and I was not related to, and did not have emotional connections to the victim, I could still easily kill that rabid non-human who did it. As far as I am concerned, when you kill for no reason, you give up your humanity card.

    You will not convince me otherwise, no matter what argument you present. This is an issue that I am not movable on. I don't expect to change your (or anyone else's) mind either, but will state my position without hesitation.
    That argument is incredibly flawed. By your own logic, other people would be justified in killing you after you commit your revenge murder. The cycle of revenge killings would be endless.

  2. #82
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Of course it's different. My point is that it's justifiable to kill a murderer- more so than someone who is attempting murder.
    Killing in self defense comes from the notion that you have a right to life and the right to defend it. Killing for punishment comes from the notion that some crimes deserve certain punishments. One is based on natural rights, the other is based on ever-changing social beliefs. Punishments vary, the right to defend your life has been consistent throughout history. Hell, even governments exercise the right to self preservation. So no, "your point" that it is justifiable to kill a murderer is not more justifiable than killing to defend your life. Again, in order for your argument to make sense:

    - You'd have to explain why you have a right to punish through killing.
    - You'd have to explain why this right supersedes the right to defend yourself.

    Here is how the argument will end:

    We will realize that you don't have a right to punish people through whatever measures you find reasonable.
    We will realize that governments don't have a right to determine that death is a reasonable form of punishment.
    We will realize that the death penalty is a fad and governments who claim they have a right to carry it out can suddenly abolish it, and citizens caught trying to enforce their own justice can be charged as criminals.

    How many Americans have been found guilty of acting in self defense? None.
    How many Americans have been found guilty of killing people who killed others? Quite a few.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 07-14-14 at 06:02 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #83
    Guru
    Gringo allstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Detroit area
    Last Seen
    07-27-17 @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,215

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Anyone that dangerous is not going to be put in your general run-of-the-mill prison. With the technology and resources we have at our disposal, we should easily be able to create prisons that are impossible to escape.
    How about we also have a box to check on your tax form for those who support your idea. And you and people who are like minded can finance this idea? Say, 200$ a month? Would you then be willing to do this, because I personally wouldn't want to spend a dime on the Gaceys and Dahmers of this world.

  4. #84
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    There must be concrete evidence proving they committed the crime (reliable eye witness and DNA and video). They must have committed a crime that shows no regard for the humanity of their victim, such as calculated murder, torture, or crimes committed in a heinous manner.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  5. #85
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,647
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    The death penalty is used too often, and is frequently used only as a tool to garner plea bargains from defendants who are facing circumstantial evidence without the "smoking gun" of DNA or other incontrovertible proof of guilt.

    Find a dozen children's bodies covered with defendant's DNA buried in the basement? Yes, go for the death penalty. Some guy who apparently killed his wife, but denies it while police insist he must be guilty because he has no alibi and the wife had a fat insurance policy? No, sorry, too circumstantial and beyond a "reasonable" doubt is not enough in my opinion for a death sentence.

    The death penalty has primarily been used as a coercion technique instead of a legitimate forfeiture of life by a defendant who has engaged in repeated torture and premeditated murder with guilt assured by 99.9% of solid physical and forensic proof. That is improper, in my opinion.

  6. #86
    OPO extraordinaire

    MACS-24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,426

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The death penalty has never been a deterrent and never will be.
    That is true and the process is dragged out for decades that it's too watered down. The only ones being punished are the victims families.
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    If certain gun guys are insulted by that? Good, they should be ashamed: the rest of US are sick and tired of having our intelligence insulted[/i].



  7. #87
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    That argument is incredibly flawed. By your own logic, other people would be justified in killing you after you commit your revenge murder. The cycle of revenge killings would be endless.
    That wasn't my point. The point is that if it is okay to kill in self-defense, it is okay (even much more justifiable) to kill someone who has committed murder. Saying that it's okay for me to kill in self-defense, but it's not okay to kill a murderer, is using flawed logic. Does a killer deserve to die more at my hands, than at the hands of a legal authority? Is his life worth more after he has committed murder, than when he's trying to?
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #88
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,699

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    I would eliminate the death penalty in it's entirety. Nobody, government official or citizen, should have the legal right to murder someone unless directly in self-defense. There's no need to become the very thing we claim to fight against. "You killed someone, and that's not okay, thus your punishment is that I will kill you." Makes no sense!
    The DP should never be used as a punishment. It's something that shoud be done strictly to protect society from it's most dangerous members. Incarceration for life simply means that the person is a threat to fewer people.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  9. #89
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,699

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    We need a review board to look at all capital cases. The board would consist of a group of retired judges drawn from a large pool at random. Any judge that consistently rules either for or against the sentence gets removed from the pool and only those who show that they are looking at the facts and not the ideology get left in the pool.
    The board would review the cases based on the accuracy of investigation, the thoroughness of both the prosecution and the defense, and the necessity of the sentence.
    If the board decides that the sentence stands, the person is executed poste haste.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  10. #90
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    That wasn't my point. The point is that if it is okay to kill in self-defense, it is okay (even much more justifiable) to kill someone who has committed murder.
    Killing someone who has committed murder is murder itself. Thus it leads to an infinite cycle of killing unless people are smart enough not to buy into such nonsense.

    Saying that it's okay for me to kill in self-defense, but it's not okay to kill a murderer, is using flawed logic. Does a killer deserve to die more at my hands, than at the hands of a legal authority? Is his life worth more after he has committed murder, than when he's trying to?
    You don't seem to understand the basis for self defense. You are not allowed to deliberately kill anyone. Rather, you are authorized to use whatever force is needed to protect yourself or others, and sometimes the ugliness of reality means that lethal force is required. If we had guns like star trek phasers where it was as easy to incapacitate someone as kill them, it would be illegal to use anything but stun mode.

    The goal of law is to protect the people, not to find excuses to dehumanize people so you can abuse them. Any act of harm that doesn't prevent further harm is unacceptable.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •