View Poll Results: What would you do about the death penalty?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing. It's fine as it's currently practiced.

    6 7.59%
  • Eliminate it completely.

    42 53.16%
  • Modify it. (Explain your answer)

    31 39.24%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 146

Thread: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

  1. #71
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Self-defense is only legitimate because it is in the interest of your direct safety, not because it is acceptable to kill murderers.
    Same thing. If it's okay to kill, it's okay to kill. If someone tried to kill me, I would kill them first (hopefully). If someone killed my family or loved one, I would gladly go kill him/her after the fact. If someone were a cold-blooded killer and I was not related to, and did not have emotional connections to the victim, I could still easily kill that rabid non-human who did it. As far as I am concerned, when you kill for no reason, you give up your humanity card.

    You will not convince me otherwise, no matter what argument you present. This is an issue that I am not movable on. I don't expect to change your (or anyone else's) mind either, but will state my position without hesitation.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Same thing. If it's okay to kill, it's okay to kill. If someone tried to kill me, I would kill them first (hopefully). If someone killed my family or loved one, I would gladly go kill him/her after the fact. If someone were a cold-blooded killer and I was not related to, and did not have emotional connections to the victim, I could still easily kill that rabid non-human who did it. As far as I am concerned, when you kill for no reason, you give up your humanity card.

    You will not convince me otherwise, no matter what argument you present. This is an issue that I am not movable on. I don't expect to change your (or anyone else's) mind either, but will state my position without hesitation.
    Our positions on the death penalty stem from a completely different worldview. Neither of our minds will be changed on this particular subject through a debate forum. I did enjoy the discussion though.

  3. #73
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Why is it necessary at all?
    IMO, there are rare cases of individuals who are so mentally damaged that they will always be a danger to others, despite all attempts at treatment. It's irresponsible even to keep them locked up, because their escape would cause more needless death. Much the same scenario that forces us to euthanize rabid dogs.
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    IMO, there are rare cases of individuals who are so mentally damaged that they will always be a danger to others, despite all attempts at treatment. It's irresponsible even to keep them locked up, because their escape would cause more needless death. Much the same scenario that forces us to euthanize rabid dogs.
    Anyone that dangerous is not going to be put in your general run-of-the-mill prison. With the technology and resources we have at our disposal, we should easily be able to create prisons that are impossible to escape.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Of course it's different. My point is that it's justifiable to kill a murderer- more so than someone who is attempting murder. To think it's only justifiable to kill someone trying to kill you is saying that you believe your life to be more valuable than that of another.
    No, killing someone that committed murder is acting in revenge while killing someone attempting to kill you is protecting your life. When you kill someone attempting to kill you at no point are you saying their life is not as valuable as yours, but instead saying that you will do whatever is necessary to protect yourself from their aggression.

  6. #76
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, killing someone that committed murder is acting in revenge while killing someone attempting to kill you is protecting your life. When you kill someone attempting to kill you at no point are you saying their life is not as valuable as yours, but instead saying that you will do whatever is necessary to protect yourself from their aggression.
    We should be willing to protect the lives of others as well, not only our own. If I am willing to kill you because you threaten me, then I should certainly be willing to kill you after you kill someone.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    We should be willing to protect the lives of others as well, not only our own. If I am willing to kill you because you threaten me, then I should certainly be willing to kill you after you kill someone.
    Yes, but defending the life someone else is called third party self defense and that is still only applicable while the act is occurring.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    I'd modify it in that I think the persons should simply be shot in back of head with a single bullet. That would be cheaper.


    If they're going to be killed we should spend as little money on turning them into a corpse as possible.

  9. #79
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Anyone that dangerous is not going to be put in your general run-of-the-mill prison. With the technology and resources we have at our disposal, we should easily be able to create prisons that are impossible to escape.
    No matter how technologically sophisticated any system is, humans still have to manage it. As a result, there will never be a prison that's truly impossible to escape.
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  10. #80
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I would reserve it for only murders who could be absolutely proven to have killed in cold blood, and without it having been a crime of passion. Nobody who did not murder would be killed- even if they were child molesters/rapists, or otherwise considered "evil" by others. First degree murder is the only crime for which someone should have to forfeit their life.
    Just curious, but why should a "crime of passion" be exempted?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •