View Poll Results: What would you do about the death penalty?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing. It's fine as it's currently practiced.

    6 7.59%
  • Eliminate it completely.

    42 53.16%
  • Modify it. (Explain your answer)

    31 39.24%
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 146

Thread: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

  1. #31
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    I'm not opposed to it, but pragmatically I realize the anti lawyers have one. Some states spend upwards of $20,000,000 on legal fees to execute an inmate. It's not worth it. Deny the lawyers their money and just lock em up for life. Even at $30k a year for incarceration we are tax wise better off.
    Bullets are even cheaper still.

  2. #32
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    When I was younger, and more emotional, I was ALL FOR the death penalty. However, as I've aged and hopefully become less emotional, as well as the fact that DNA evidence has proven that numerous people have been wrongfully executed and many have been saved from execution by being exonerated prior to the sentence being carried out, I am now against the Death Penalty because if the state executes just one innocent person, then we are no better than the people that we are trying to remove from society by killing them.

    Do I think that there are people that should die as a result of their acts? Hell yes, I still do. The problem I have, is that there is no definitive way to apply such a law without the potential of an innocent person being convicted and executed in a tragic and horrific mistake. I'm not willing to live with that possibility.
    Pretty much my point-of-view. We have proven beyond reasonable doubt that we get it wrong way too often. And as long as people on the prosecution side get rewarded for conviction rates over accuracy, it'll never change.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #33
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,013

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Yes. I would find some way to end frivolous appeals so that in cases where there is no doubt of guilt the sentences could be carried out within a year.

  4. #34
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    I agree that too many capital cases get convictions just on circumstantial evidence. I also agree that there have been several instances of states executing the wrong person.

    Both are totally unacceptable, but the system could still be modified to eliminate those possibilities.

    First, if the prosecution plans to seek the death penalty, they must be held to a higher standard of proof. Guilt beyond a "reasonable doubt" is not enough; it should be guilt without a shadow of a doubt. For instance, the killer would likely have to confess, and to provide details that only the person who committed the crime could know.
    There have been many people in the past who were executed that we just knew beyond any doubt were guilty... only to find out later that we were still wrong.

    As far as confession and knowing details go, it has also been established that confessions are actually the least reliable of evidence and that police often feed information to suspects. Shoot, there have been some instances where the police literally wrote the confession and had the poor innocent schmuck sign it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Not a very good marksman are ya

    Its not the cost of the execution its the attorneys prior to the execution that have killed it. Unless you think we can just print money for lawyers and tax ourselves into oblivion for the joy of sticking a needle in a man's arm or firing a 7.62x51 into his heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    Bullets are even cheaper still.

  6. #36
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Not a very good marksman are ya

    Its not the cost of the execution its the attorneys prior to the execution that have killed it. Unless you think we can just print money for lawyers and tax ourselves into oblivion for the joy of sticking a needle in a man's arm or firing a 7.62x51 into his heart.
    I was referring to your comment regarding incarceration.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    This will work right up until the leftist can sell the public we just executed an innocent man. 60 minutes will probably repeat it, Anderson cooper will visit with his mom, and Fox with his hot wife!


    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Yes. I would find some way to end frivolous appeals so that in cases where there is no doubt of guilt the sentences could be carried out within a year.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    i'm ok with "beyond a reasonable doubt".. which is the current standard.

    i'm also perfectly ok with an appeals and oversight process that objectively analyzes the the verdict , the evidence, and prosecutorial behavior.
    So you would be ok with taking a life when there's the slightest chance you might be killing someone who's innocent?

  9. #39
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    The more that time goes on, the less I support the death penalty. I'm for it in theory, but I don't think that our standards of proof are high enough to make it practical in most cases.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Would you modify how the death penalty is applied?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    I agree, but we can do that without legalizing and legitimizing executions.
    I believe that execution in some cases is warranted.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •