View Poll Results: Is homosexuality "normak" and "natural"?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Homosexuality is normal

    68 47.22%
  • Homosexuality is not normal

    46 31.94%
  • Homosexuality is natural

    92 63.89%
  • Homosexuality is not natural

    19 13.19%
  • Other/unsure

    12 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 574

Thread: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

  1. #531
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Did this about normal a few years ago, and decided it was time to try again. Was a fun and interesting thread at the time, so hopefully this will be as well. Two simple questions. Is Homosexuality "normal", and is homosexuality "natural"? If you would, please include your reasoning.

    Poll will allow multiple choices, pick a choice for the "normal" question and for the "natural" question. Poll will be up in a couple minutes.
    Is it normal and natural? Let’s start with “normal”. The definition for “normal”, according to dictionary.com, is “average”. As gay folks only constitute approximately 2% of the population, it can be said that they are not--by definition--“normal”.

    Is homosexuality “natural”? This argument is always bolstered by the “fact” that homosexuality can be seen in nature. However, this is a non-sequitur. Yes, animals in nature can be seen to perform what would appear to be "homosexual acts", yet these acts can be better explained as one animal showing its dominance or simply just trying to satisfy its most base urges. These are, after all, wild animals so how do you go about determining their true “orientation”?

    With respect to those who utilize the “nature argument” (i.e. “It’s okay to be homosexual because it can be observed in nature”), there is something else that can be observed in nature, as well. Animals have been observed killing their mates after intercourse and eating their own young.

    Are these things “okay” just because we observe them in nature? Is this behavior we should celebrate?
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  2. #532
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    The fact that you need to know how each person votes demonstrates that purpose of the thread.
    Huh? I make all polls public to prevent spammers kinda thing. On the other hand, I have not even looked at the results of the poll since that is not the real purpose of the thread. Paranoid much?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #533
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    Is it normal and natural? Let’s start with “normal”. The definition for “normal”, according to dictionary.com, is “average”. As gay folks only constitute approximately 2% of the population, it can be said that they are not--by definition--“normal”.

    Is homosexuality “natural”? This argument is always bolstered by the “fact” that homosexuality can be seen in nature. However, this is a non-sequitur. Yes, animals in nature can be seen to perform what would appear to be "homosexual acts", yet these acts can be better explained as one animal showing its dominance or simply just trying to satisfy its most base urges. These are, after all, wild animals so how do you go about determining their true “orientation”?

    With respect to those who utilize the “nature argument” (i.e. “It’s okay to be homosexual because it can be observed in nature”), there is something else that can be observed in nature, as well. Animals have been observed killing their mates after intercourse and eating their own young.

    Are these things “okay” just because we observe them in nature? Is this behavior we should celebrate?
    Holy ****ing dishonest! Here is the actual definition of "normal from your source:

    nor·mal

    [nawr-muhl] Show IPA
    adjective 1. conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.

    2. serving to establish a standard.

    3. Psychology . a. approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.

    b. free from any mental disorder; sane.



    4. Biology, Medicine/Medical . a. free from any infection or other form of disease or malformation, or from experimental therapy or manipulation.

    b. of natural occurrence.



    5. Mathematics . a. being at right angles, as a line; perpendicular.

    b. of the nature of or pertaining to a mathematical normal.

    c. (of an orthogonal system of real functions) defined so that the integral of the square of the absolute value of any function is 1.

    d. (of a topological space) having the property that corresponding to every pair of disjoint closed sets are two disjoint open sets, each containing one of the closed sets.

    e. (of a subgroup) having the property that the same set of elements results when all the elements of the subgroup are operated on consistently on the left and consistently on the right by any element of the group; invariant.





    noun 7. the average or mean: Production may fall below normal.

    8. the standard or type.

    9. Mathematics . a. a perpendicular line or plane, especially one perpendicular to a tangent line of a curve, or a tangent plane of a surface, at the point of contact.

    b. the portion of this perpendicular line included between its point of contact with the curve and the x- axis.



    I really don't care what definition people use, but for god's sake, at least try and be honest about it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #534
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Holy ****ing dishonest! Here is the actual definition of "normal from your source:



    I really don't care what definition people use, but for god's sake, at least try and be honest about it.
    What a f**cking amateur.

    Take a look at no. 7 on the list in your own post. What does is say?

    Dishonest my a$$.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  5. #535
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    What a f**cking amateur.

    Take a look at no. 7 on the list in your own post. What does is say?

    Dishonest my a$$.
    You claimed your source said to quote you: "according to dictionary.com, is “average”". In fact, according to your source, the closest definition to that is "noun 7. the average or mean: Production may fall below normal", which is only one of several definitions, and is for the noun form of normal, which is not appropriate here(remember grammar class in school?). Instead of saying that you defined it as such, you tried to be cute, and got caught.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #536
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You claimed your source said to quote you: "according to dictionary.com, is “average”". In fact, according to your source, the closest definition to that is "noun 7. the average or mean: Production may fall below normal", which is only one of several definitions, and is for the noun form of normal, which is not appropriate here(remember grammar class in school?). Instead of saying that you defined it as such, you tried to be cute, and got caught.
    Wow...yeah, you're not even close...

    Also from dictionary.com:


    av·er·age [av-er-ij, av-rij] Show IPA
    noun
    1.
    a quantity, rating, or the like that represents or approximates an arithmetic mean: Her golf average is in the 90s. My average in science has gone from B to C this semester.
    2.
    a typical amount, rate, degree, etc.; norm.
    3.
    Statistics. arithmetic mean.
    4.
    Mathematics . a quantity intermediate to a set of quantities.
    5.
    Commerce .
    a.
    a charge paid by the master of a ship for such services as pilotage or towage.
    b.
    an expense, partial loss, or damage to a ship or cargo.
    c.
    the incidence of such an expense or loss to the owners or their insurers.
    d.
    an equitable apportionment among all the interested parties of such an expense or loss. Compare general average, particular average.

    And, by the way, if you think I'm interested in debating the definitions of words that are easily looked up in a dictionary then you truly have no clue.

    Like it or not--by definition--you lose.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  7. #537
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    Wow...yeah, you're not even close...

    Also from dictionary.com:


    av·er·age [av-er-ij, av-rij] Show IPA
    noun
    1.
    a quantity, rating, or the like that represents or approximates an arithmetic mean: Her golf average is in the 90s. My average in science has gone from B to C this semester.
    2.
    a typical amount, rate, degree, etc.; norm.
    3.
    Statistics. arithmetic mean.
    4.
    Mathematics . a quantity intermediate to a set of quantities.
    5.
    Commerce .
    a.
    a charge paid by the master of a ship for such services as pilotage or towage.
    b.
    an expense, partial loss, or damage to a ship or cargo.
    c.
    the incidence of such an expense or loss to the owners or their insurers.
    d.
    an equitable apportionment among all the interested parties of such an expense or loss. Compare general average, particular average.

    And, by the way, if you think I'm interested in debating the definitions of words that are easily looked up in a dictionary then you truly have no clue.

    Like it or not--by definition--you lose.
    Noun form, not adjective. Please to learn grammar. And it does not change that your attempt to pass off your definition as being from dictionary.com failed. Also probably good to learn that when you try and use sources to make things seem "official", your source better say what you claim or your lie will get caught and exposed to every one.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #538
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-14 @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,612

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    What do you know, right? Nothing that I've seen.
    Apparently, a lot more than YOU do. Your posts make that abundantly clear.

  9. #539
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Noun form, not adjective. Please to learn grammar. And it does not change that your attempt to pass off your definition as being from dictionary.com failed. Also probably good to learn that when you try and use sources to make things seem "official", your source better say what you claim or your lie will get caught and exposed to every one.
    That's hilarious. You want to fuss about my grammar when your own is appalling. Just check out the first sentence in your post--it can't even be considered a sentence. And your very next sentence isn't much better.

    And what any of this has to do with the subject at hand I have no idea.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  10. #540
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Huh? I make all polls public to prevent spammers kinda thing. On the other hand, I have not even looked at the results of the poll since that is not the real purpose of the thread. Paranoid much?
    Spammers
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •