View Poll Results: Is homosexuality "normak" and "natural"?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Homosexuality is normal

    68 47.22%
  • Homosexuality is not normal

    46 31.94%
  • Homosexuality is natural

    92 63.89%
  • Homosexuality is not natural

    19 13.19%
  • Other/unsure

    12 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 574

Thread: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

  1. #491
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,805

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    ...which is why you wouldn't call left-handed people "abnormal" but uncommon, atypical, or unrepresentative of the population.

    "Abnormal" is not the opposite of "normal" because as you say, it connotes something undesirable.
    Which is fine and why I said it depends on how you define your terms. There are an awful lot of people who would define homosexuality as abnormal because of it's negative connotation.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #492
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Doesn't this only serve to undermine your whole argument?
    How so?

    The basic gist of my argument here is that things work the way they do for a reason. That reason simply happens to be the fact that they result in certain beneficial outcomes under natural circumstances (in this case, the continuation and survival of the species) which helped our ancestors to gain an edge over their competition.

    If there is, in fact, a God, would it not have been he who was ultimately responsible for setting things in this order in the first place?

    You've never made the conscious choice to NOT have sex and then acted on that?
    Sure. I've made the conscious choice not to eat, drink, sleep, or void my bowels - even when I've really wanted to - as well.

    However, that doesn't change the reason why the instinctual compulsion to do all of these things exists in the first place.

    It is not "objectively observable". You're discussing motivation and intent how is that objectively observable? It would be objectively observable it you punched someone in the nose or crashed your car but why you did either of those is not objectively observable.
    Just about every higher organism on this planet has sex. A great many do so purely for procreation. Only a few have pleasure tacked onto the side as an extra incentive.

    Hell! A few even have pain. Have you ever seen cats go at it, for example?

    The feline penis is covered in sharp barbs and spikes. Females only barely tolerate the process out of instinct and hormonal drive alone.

    Ducks, for their own immensely disturbing part, reproduce almost exclusively through violent rape.

    At the end of the day, it really doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things what superficial factors might be at play. The undeniable reality of the situation is that the common element which runs through all sexual behavior, for all species, is reproduction.

    Pleasure, pain, power, social bonds, and every other extraneous feature of sexual behavior which has been brought up in this thread are ultimately only secondary adaptations, which were added on to that process at some later point in evolutionary development.

    Without the reproductive element, sex simply wouldn't exist. That's really all there is to it.

    This is one of the top ten most ridiculous things you've ever said. Lot's of things human beings do exist without a higher purpose. I thought of about 20 sarcastic things I could say in response to the "waste of time...." thing but let's just say we disagree and the majority of the population would disagree also.
    No one said that nature's mechanisms could not sometimes be confused, or perverted against their normal purpose.

    Our bodies chemically "reward" us for taking certain actions which are beneficial to our survival and the survival of the species as a whole. That much is undeniable. Unfortunately, however, it simply happens to be the case that sometimes even beneficial actions can lend themselves to over-indulgence (one must remember that the world in which our instincts evolved tended to have far more scarce resources than are available today, after all), or that the "chemical reward" in question can be attained by other, unnatural, means.

    This is how we wind up with problems like sex addiction, obesity, alcoholism, and other forms of substance abuse. People either gorge themselves on something their body desires to the point where it actually becomes a liability, or they find a means to trick their body into thinking it has been "satisfied" in some fashion using artificial means, when it really has not, and become hooked on that instead.

    As I said to Chromium earlier, this state of affairs is honestly neither here nor there as far as what we are discussing is concerned. It is simply one of the many downfalls of our imperfect biological nature.

    Just because we can do something that is effectively pointless, doesn't mean that we should.

    Yes, I do. If you choose when you do and when you don't you are controlling the impulse.

    it's a simple issue of self control which,as I recall, you advocate on a regular basis
    What you're arguing for here really isn't "self-control," however. You're basically arguing for exactly what I described above.

    Divorced from its natural purpose, sex is really little more than another drug like any other.

    That is pretty much exactly how the social Left wants to treat it.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 07-17-14 at 03:56 PM.

  3. #493
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-14 @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,612

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    That's only part of it. Gay sex is a sin and a perversion according to the Word of God.
    What nonsense. Thankfully, I don't subscribe to such ridiculous, backward beliefs. Homosexuality is one form of sex, that's it.

  4. #494
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-14 @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,612

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    Nope, that's what the Word says.
    So? As far as I'M concerned, "the word" is complete nonsense. Therefore, I can -- and DO -- dismiss it as such.

  5. #495
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-14 @ 08:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,612

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    Why are you butting into mine? I didn't ask for your nonsense.
    Uh, dude, you are posting on a PUBLIC message board. That means anyone can post whatever they want, including views YOU don't like. Did you really not know this?

  6. #496
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,327

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    I swear, when I read threads like this...God gets transformed into a micromanager.

    I always believed God was more of a big picture guy.

  7. #497
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    Nope, that's what the Word says.
    Until you learn some humility, nobody is going to take you seriously and you will continue to waste your time. But whatever, it is your life kiddo.

  8. #498
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,709

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean007 View Post
    Uh, dude, you are posting on a PUBLIC message board. That means anyone can post whatever they want, including views YOU don't like. Did you really not know this?
    Hey DUDE - here's what I was responding to:
    Originally Posted by TheNextEra: Where in your book does it say to butt into people's lives and tell them what to do?
    Guess it's ok for you guys to tell us, in so many words, to butt out, but not the reverse.

    So like you said, it's a public forum. To which I repeat:

    Gay sex is a sin and a perversion. Gays and all other sinners need to repent (Luke 13:3) or they're eternally screwed.
    "Progressives aren't really progressive. They're regressive, all the way back to Sodom and Gomorrah." - author unknown

  9. #499
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,709

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Until you learn some humility, nobody is going to take you seriously and you will continue to waste your time. But whatever, it is your life kiddo.
    That's rich, coming from the pro-gay pride parade community.
    "Progressives aren't really progressive. They're regressive, all the way back to Sodom and Gomorrah." - author unknown

  10. #500
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    That's rich, coming from the pro-gay pride parade community.
    I am not pro gay pride. I am pro love. And there ain't no love or concern coming from you.

Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •