View Poll Results: Is homosexuality "normak" and "natural"?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • Homosexuality is normal

    68 47.22%
  • Homosexuality is not normal

    46 31.94%
  • Homosexuality is natural

    92 63.89%
  • Homosexuality is not natural

    19 13.19%
  • Other/unsure

    12 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 34 of 58 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 574

Thread: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

  1. #331
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,945

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    And if sex didn't feel good but we wanted the species to survive we would still do it...

    We don't have sex to have children, we have sex to feel good.
    We don't eat to taste yummy food, we eat to remain alive.
    I'd argue that we do both. There are homosexual individuals who will engage in sex for the purpose of having children and derive no pleasure from the act itself. For most, when the decision is made to engage in sex for procreation, they also get the pleasure along side.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't really think that handedness counts as an instinct.
    So when you write or do other activities, do you voluntary or involuntary use your right hand? Did you choose to be right handed? Is the use of your right hand a predictable and relatively fixed behavior pattern?
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  2. #332
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    I'd argue that we do both. There are homosexual individuals who will engage in sex for the purpose of having children and derive no pleasure from the act itself. For most, when the decision is made to engage in sex for procreation, they also get the pleasure along side.



    So when you write or do other activities, do you voluntary or involuntary use your right hand? Did you choose to be right handed? Is the use of your right hand a predictable and relatively fixed behavior pattern?
    Sorry, I don't think handedness counts as an instinct.

    If we only had sex because it feels good, a lot of people would just probably masturbate and never get together with another person. Another reason why we have sex is to bond with other people. However, we DO have a biological imperative drive to reproduce. Without that, a species would die off. That is why it is called a biological "imperative."

  3. #333
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,804

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Are you kidding me? You don't think that passing on your genes is a human instinct? I seriously can't believe it.
    Red Herring

    The red herring is as much a debate tactic as it is a logical fallacy. It is a fallacy of distraction, and is committed when a listener attempts to divert an arguer from his argument by introducing another topic. This can be one of the most frustrating, and effective, fallacies to observe.

    Logical Fallacies» Red Herring

    I asked how he is qualified. YOU used him as a source to back up your argument. I am now challenging his authority. How is he qualified to be an authority on this issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #334
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Red Herring

    The red herring is as much a debate tactic as it is a logical fallacy. It is a fallacy of distraction, and is committed when a listener attempts to divert an arguer from his argument by introducing another topic. This can be one of the most frustrating, and effective, fallacies to observe.

    Logical Fallacies» Red Herring

    I asked how he is qualified. YOU used him as a source to back up your argument. I am now challenging his authority. How is he qualified to be an authority on this issue?
    He's probably a heck of a lot more qualified than you, and guess what? I completely agree with his opinion. It makes a HELL of a lot more sense than the ideas you've been putting forth.

  5. #335
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,804

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    I'd argue that we do both. There are homosexual individuals who will engage in sex for the purpose of having children and derive no pleasure from the act itself. For most, when the decision is made to engage in sex for procreation, they also get the pleasure along side.
    I 100% agree with you. You are simply seeing one aspect of my debate intended to illustrate to Chris that her argument is too simplistic, and wrong. She is saying that sex feels good so that we procreate. I am saying that we have sex because it feels good probably 99.9% of the time and that when people WANT kids, they have sex to procreate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #336
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,945

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Sorry, I don't think handedness counts as an instinct.

    If we only had sex because it feels good, a lot of people would just probably masturbate and never get together with another person. Another reason why we have sex is to bond with other people. However, we DO have a biological imperative drive to reproduce. Without that, a species would die off. That is why it is called a biological "imperative."
    And there you go again equating the imperative of the species as being part and parcel of every member of the species. When speaking of how the species acts and reacts, one looks at the overall group and notes the major trends. It is not required for all members of the species to reproduce for the species to continue. It's not even required for all members to try. There are variations in behavior among any given species of animal. Many variant behaviors would be bad if all members of the species engaged in it, but when only a few do then it is not an issue. Variations are a natural part of nature (no circular reasoning intended) and evolution. One species of frog (maybe more and more than just frogs) actually has where if there is a lack of one gender, members of the other gender will change to fill the gap. Frog Transexuals! There are many humans who have NO desire to reproduce. Or even have sex period. These are all just variations within the overall. Trying to take group characteristics and applying them to individuals universally is simply wrong.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  7. #337
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,804

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    He's probably a heck of a lot more qualified than you, and guess what? I completely agree with his opinion. It makes a HELL of a lot more sense than the ideas you've been putting forth.
    Who is more likely to have been with women and actually had sex? I would venture to say that I am the Michael Jordan of sex and he is some pimply faced 14 year old in comparison.

    Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?-rich3-jpg

    Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?-img_4838-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #338
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    And there you go again equating the imperative of the species as being part and parcel of every member of the species. When speaking of how the species acts and reacts, one looks at the overall group and notes the major trends. It is not required for all members of the species to reproduce for the species to continue. It's not even required for all members to try. There are variations in behavior among any given species of animal. Many variant behaviors would be bad if all members of the species engaged in it, but when only a few do then it is not an issue. Variations are a natural part of nature (no circular reasoning intended) and evolution. One species of frog (maybe more and more than just frogs) actually has where if there is a lack of one gender, members of the other gender will change to fill the gap. Frog Transexuals! There are many humans who have NO desire to reproduce. Or even have sex period. These are all just variations within the overall. Trying to take group characteristics and applying them to individuals universally is simply wrong.
    Stop being all offended. I don't care if you're gay. My point is that I don't think it's natural, and what I think is natural is for a man and woman to be sexually attracted to one another, not brothers and sisters either. If you don't like my opinions, that is just too bad.

  9. #339
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Who is more likely to have been with women and actually had sex? I would venture to say that I am the Michael Jordan of sex and he is some pimply faced 14 year old in comparison.

    Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?-rich3-jpg

    Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?-img_4838-jpg
    Sorry, but his theory makes a heck of lot more sense and sounds much more logical than anything you've brought forth so far.

  10. #340
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Is Homosexuality "Normal" and "Natural"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I 100% agree with you. You are simply seeing one aspect of my debate intended to illustrate to Chris that her argument is too simplistic, and wrong. She is saying that sex feels good so that we procreate. I am saying that we have sex because it feels good probably 99.9% of the time and that when people WANT kids, they have sex to procreate.
    Actually, what I think is being said here is that what we "want" is ultimately irrelevant, as reproduction is inherent to the sexual act regardless of our conscious desires.

    The only reason sex is a part of the human (or biological) equation at all is because it leads to procreation. Without that, there wouldn't be any reason for it to exist.

    It would simply be a waste of time and energy that could be better spent elsewhere.

Page 34 of 58 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •