View Poll Results: Which City is America's Worst

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Atlanta

    2 2.47%
  • Chicago

    10 12.35%
  • New York

    1 1.23%
  • Los Angeles

    4 4.94%
  • Detroit

    44 54.32%
  • Washington DC

    5 6.17%
  • Miami

    0 0%
  • Cleveland

    2 2.47%
  • Memphis

    0 0%
  • Other, please explain

    13 16.05%
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 171 to 179 of 179

Thread: Which City is America's Worst

  1. #171
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Which City is America's Worst

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    I am afraid that knowing more about USA than most Americans is a pretty low bar.

    If you travelled much in Europe, Canada, Japan (and I presume China and Australia, where I have no direct experience), almost each country can boast superior infrastructure to that of the US and you would find almost all of them devoid of the abject poverty and violent crime that is so prevalent in the US (and I have been to every major city in this country and 45 states).

    Sorry, but America no longer qualifies as a 1st world country; we have major issues. Its time for Americans to look in the mirror and see the fat, balding middle aged country that we have actually become rather than continue in this fantasy that we are still the high school stud that we once were.
    Gloat if it's fun for you to play, just don't piss us off or the wrath of Hell will come down on your worthless country.

  2. #172
    Educator Meadowlark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    10-31-16 @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    750

    Re: Which City is America's Worst

    Detroit
    Once a thriving city, now a shell of decay and decline.

  3. #173
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,223

    Re: Which City is America's Worst

    Two favorite places I have lived have been Orem, UT and a small city outside of Austin, TX I'm currently at.

    https://plus.google.com/photos/11092...52189905452641

    https://plus.google.com/photos/11092...99253025033505

  4. #174
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,132

    Re: Which City is America's Worst

    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    You liberals are a hoot, lol...

    Might I suggest you google "california cities go bankrupt"?? Not that tough to do

    Birmingham, AL?? Google it.
    Detroit, MI?? Google it.
    California "public pension scam"?? Google it.
    Many of you Cons are a hoot: you don't know the first thing about debate and are footloose with facts.

    In debate, if you make an assertion, and I challenge that assertion, it is YOUR job to support it. If you don't or can not, its an invalid assertion, which it now is.

    Too many people on this board think they are debating when they post some fact they thought they heard or may have heard it when surfing political porn sites; they accept as fact and then post something that they believe is contributing to this board. When confronted, they can not back up their point.... because, it was wrong in the first place.

    I could tell you were operating from impression with a reckless disregard for the truth when you suggested Santa Barbara was bankrupt. It is/was not. Though you did hedge your statement, it would have been a relatively easy thing to fact check before your posted... but you were too lazy or afraid your argument would break down. Stockton is the largest CA city to file bankruptcy. Moreover, Birmingham did NOT go bankrupt. The County that contains Birmingham went bankrupt (they are different entities). Face it, you did a poor job with your post.

    Now that I blasted that part of your statement out of the water, the credibility of most your other assertions is very questionable.

    Which American municipalities have filed for bankruptcy? | PBS NewsHour
    Judge allows California city to enter bankruptcy, largest municipality to go bust | Fox News


    Our courts work on debate theory. A plaintiff or prosecutor must prove his case. They do so by producing evidence to back up their assertions. When challenged, they either have to "double down" on the evidence, but it is their duty to find it and produce it; telling the defense to "google" the evidence is not producing it and will void the assertion. BTW, once the evidence is produced, it is fair game for the defense to attack the quality, relevance or jurisdiction of the evidence. Be prepared.

    You sir, have not made your point and have thus far wasted everyone's time with your post. Again, it is YOUR job to produce the evidence to support your assertions. Perhaps you can learn from this "schooling" and pick up your game. I look forward to a higher integrity in your future posts.

  5. #175
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,132

    Re: Which City is America's Worst

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    Poor America!
    Unfortunately, it is. OTH, we have the money, we just refuse to spend it on the right things; and others refuse to contribute to the cause of greatness.

  6. #176
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,132

    Re: Which City is America's Worst

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    Gloat if it's fun for you to play, just don't piss us off or the wrath of Hell will come down on your worthless country.
    I have no idea what you are trying to say. Funny, this post originated at 11PM at Saturday night. Should I read into that? Maybe a Sunday post after a good night sleep (off) will clear this up.

  7. #177
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,132

    Re: Which City is America's Worst

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm pretty sure that we are still considered a 1st world country, but we are certainly not number 1.

    Countries of the First World
    It is... and I don't dispute that is "considered that".... I am making the provocative assertion that maybe it shouldn't be....


    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Hahaha you obviously haven't traveled much.
    30 countries in 4 continents and 45 states is not as much as many but a lot more than most... that said, lets take this out of the level of anecdote.


    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    If you honestly think America is not a first world country than I don't know what to tell you.
    I have also been to quite a few areas in Europe as well as Canada Japan and South Korea and while yes they have some very nice places they also have some very crappy ones just like in the US. I have seen some horrible infrastructure in parts of Canada and Europe. Parts of South Korea and Japan look more third worldish than anywhere I have ever been in this country. And than to try and use China as an example. Have you never even seen a picture of rural China.

    Also just look at the sheer size of this country vs many country's in Europe and else where. If this country had only as many miles of road to maintain as pretty much all those countries we could repave our roads yearly. The same goes for things like power grids and internet.
    Thinking that this country is not first world is either blind hatred of this country or extreme ignorance.

    OK, we are debating anecdotal views of the world, that is all fine, but its just impressions. That said, I find no points in Japan comparable to the urban plight of Detroit; rural China does not look any more impoverished than Appalachia or Flint or Detroit or any number of mid-sized eastern cities struggling in the post-industrial age. This argument about size is weak; as the smaller countries also have smaller budgets. Maybe if the US is too big to deliver the goods, it is too big? Don't think so.... But, forget the anecdotes, lets raise the bar with real evidence.... The US consistently ranks in the low 20s to high 30s in most world assessments. I personally consider that out of 1st world territory status and into 2nd tier. Please note, I am not making the argument that the US is a 3rd world country; I am making the argument that it is not a 2nd world country)

    Let's look at the facts, shall we:

    US Infrastructure Behind Developed World - Business Insider
    2013 Report Card for America's Infrastructure
    Failure to Act Economic Studies
    10 Signs That US Infrastructure Is A Disaster - Business Insider
    America’s infrastructure gets a D+. That’s not as bad as it sounds. - The Washington Post
    U.S. Infrastructure Down In World Rankings Since 2008
    Why Broadband Service in the U.S. Is So Awful - Scientific American


    I can love my country and be critical of it.....Making the point that someone being critical of their country means they have "blind hatred" toward it or extreme ignorance is pretty weak. Even Forbes, that American hating magazine cites the ASCE study saying we are $1.7T in spend short of a 1st world infrastructure...

    "...The Society of Civil Engineers (Failure to Act Studies) gives its price tag for restoring a first-world infrastructure. It would take $1.7T to correct our current infrastructure deficit and an extra $160 billion a year – or $1.1T — to meet our infrastructure needs through 2020......" Infrastructure Gap? Look at the Facts. We Spend More Than Europe - Forbes

    Its not just physical infrastructure, our education, healthcare and crime rates all lag most 1st world countries....

    World education rankings: which country does best at reading, maths and science? | News | theguardian.com
    Education Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    World Health Organization’s Ranking of the World’s Health Systems | thepatientfactor.com
    These 10 Countries Have The World's Highest Murder Rates

    I look in the mirror everyday and see me (my good points and my bad). I can be self critical and put that energy to good use. It does not mean I hate myself. The idea that I critical of American priorities is an exercise of my right as an American. Reacting because I offended your Polyanna view is right, but......

    I put forth a provocative proposition, which I can support. Now you can chose not to agree with this proposition, but you can say I am operating with "extreme ignorance" that is nothing more than name calling, which in and of itself, is a tactic one uses when they are out of rational arguments (maybe because they suffer from the very thing they accuse others of suffering from).

    Perfectly acceptable to be satisfied with ranking in the 20s and 30s in these categories. Its also reasonable to say this is 1st world territory. I am just pointing out, that as a country, we are get bald and fat and too many us do not seem to care.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 07-13-14 at 03:25 PM.

  8. #178
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which City is America's Worst

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    What do all these worst cities have in common, I wonder?
    What, indeed ..
    IMO, its intolerance..

  9. #179
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Which City is America's Worst

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    30 countries in 4 continents and 45 states is not as much as many but a lot more than most... that said, lets take this out of the level of anecdote.
    lol where did you stay? Yeah, if you stay at Grand Hyatt in Mumbai, you'll think India is great.

    OK, we are debating anecdotal views of the world, that is all fine, but its just impressions. That said, I find no points in Japan comparable to the urban plight of Detroit;
    Hell, there's parts of Okinawa that look like that. Japan's Hawaii.

    rural China does not look any more impoverished than Appalachia or Flint or Detroit or any number of mid-sized eastern cities struggling in the post-industrial age.
    ???? What? Where have you been in China?

    I personally consider that out of 1st world territory status and into 2nd tier. Please note, I am not making the argument that the US is a 3rd world country; I am making the argument that it is not a 2nd world country)
    ???? What do you think First and Third World mean? Hint: it's impossible for the US to ever be a Second or Third World country, by definition.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •